10 yard can't miss shot...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Rsnyder
Facebook: na

Re: 10 yard can't miss shot...

Unread postby Rsnyder » Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:36 am

Unfortunately it happens. Thanks for sharing and I appreciate your humility. As always good info.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:49 am

I recall someone saying the ones they miss stick with them more than the ones they get. Who might that be? :think:

Rsnyder used the word humility. That’s the right word. I appreciate that you show the good bad and the ugly.

Helps the rest of us not get hung up on our mistakes, even if I think you might be being too hard on yourself over it.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Huntress13
500 Club

Unread postby Huntress13 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:53 am

Yeah, those definitely stick with you.
Twigs in my hair, don't care.
Grizzlyadam
500 Club

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:56 am

Tuff break, stuff happens. Can only hope that buck is ok, and lives to be shot another day. Only thing I would do is go and take that shot again on the practice range, up in a stand similar height same gear on, same arrow and broadhead setup. See if something gear or form related is causing you to hit high. Best of luck out there on the next one.
crankn101
500 Club

Unread postby crankn101 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:17 am

I havent recovered 3 deer and all 3 were within 12-15 yards.
Trout King

Unread postby Trout King » Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:24 am

I think we have all been there. I have done it a couple times, I think part of it for me is not taking my time, counting the deer as dead before shooting and not aiming precisely. Things happen fast in the woods, sometimes seems like they go in fast-forward.

Very nice video, Dan.
Primetime

Unread postby Primetime » Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:29 am

I know you have discussed this in the past just cant remember the reason. Why dont you try and stop the deer? Is it in your experience that they bust out as soon as you make a noise? From my experience they stop dead in their tracks usually for a good period of time. I remember the first time I "stopped" a deer I actually hit it in the shoulder because I anticipated it would take another step but stopped dead in tracks which is why I hit it forward. I've remembered that and every deer since I have made good shots.. Last year on public I had a buck at like 7 yards and similar to what you had and stopped him and he had no clue. I think if he was moving I would not have made a good shot. I think stopping them helps me concentrate a little more and feel more comfortable with the shot even though it still all happens very fast.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:09 am

Grizzlyadam wrote:Tuff break, stuff happens. Can only hope that buck is ok, and lives to be shot another day. Only thing I would do is go and take that shot again on the practice range, up in a stand similar height same gear on, same arrow and broadhead setup. See if something gear or form related is causing you to hit high. Best of luck out there on the next one.

Did that as soon as I got home/ Nailed the bullseye. Same gear. about the same height.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:14 am

Even the best free throw shooter will throw up an air ball every once in while - the true test will be where your next arrow goes. History, water under the bridge, done, over that......
Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Unread postby Tim H » Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:14 am

Keep at it Dan! There will be other opportunities! With hunting it's sometimes good to have a short memory and move forward.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:15 am

Primetime wrote:I know you have discussed this in the past just cant remember the reason. Why dont you try and stop the deer? Is it in your experience that they bust out as soon as you make a noise? From my experience they stop dead in their tracks usually for a good period of time. I remember the first time I "stopped" a deer I actually hit it in the shoulder because I anticipated it would take another step but stopped dead in tracks which is why I hit it forward. I've remembered that and every deer since I have made good shots.. Last year on public I had a buck at like 7 yards and similar to what you had and stopped him and he had no clue. I think if he was moving I would not have made a good shot. I think stopping them helps me concentrate a little more and feel more comfortable with the shot even though it still all happens very fast.

I never try to stop a deer and much prefer a good walking shot.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:38 am

Not getting the deer in these situations isn't what bothers me. It's not knowing "exactly" what "did" go wrong. Hard to fix what your not sure about!

Now get of your pitty pot Nancy and go kill one!!!! ;) :mrgreen:
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
d_rek

Unread postby d_rek » Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:38 am

The only time I tried to 'mehhhhp' a deer for a bowshot it took off like a bat outta h***. I've since taken walking shots with good results.

Regarding the video... chit happens. Sucks. Just a part of bowhunting. The important thing, for me, was that Dan kept on pursuing the animal - doing his diligence - before giving up the track. IMO very important to impart upon hunters to stick with it as long as they can. We owe it to ourselves and these animals to recover them if possible.
"I don't know what the f*** this is but it's weird as f*** so i'm leaving."
-The Deep
Primetime

Unread postby Primetime » Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:42 am

DaveT1963 wrote:
Primetime wrote:I know you have discussed this in the past just cant remember the reason. Why dont you try and stop the deer? Is it in your experience that they bust out as soon as you make a noise? From my experience they stop dead in their tracks usually for a good period of time. I remember the first time I "stopped" a deer I actually hit it in the shoulder because I anticipated it would take another step but stopped dead in tracks which is why I hit it forward. I've remembered that and every deer since I have made good shots.. Last year on public I had a buck at like 7 yards and similar to what you had and stopped him and he had no clue. I think if he was moving I would not have made a good shot. I think stopping them helps me concentrate a little more and feel more comfortable with the shot even though it still all happens very fast.

I never try to stop a deer and much prefer a good walking shot.

Interesting.. Is there a reason that you think makes a walking shot more effective? Obviously making a noise to stop a deer alerts them to where that noise came from.. Maybe that's why? I can't see a situation where shooting a walking deer is better than shooting a deer standing still feeding or something. Ideally the deer is standing still broadside. In that case I obviously don't make a noise but that is usually not the case and the deer is walking by in which case I stop them on purpose. To each their own though. Whatever makes the hunter more confident. I am not as confident and relaxed in shooting at a deer walking.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”