ground shot vs tree stand?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

riceg53

ground shot vs tree stand?

Unread postby riceg53 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:42 pm

So I have sighted in and been practicing with my bow from the ground, and I have put a doe down with it this year. I am now on to a big buck and will be hunting him from a mobile tree stand set up. I was wondering, if my bow is sighted in on the ground, will this have a big impact on how I shoot from the tree stand? I dont want to get an opportunity on this deer and then miss in the moment of truth. So what do you guys normally do? Im going out tomorrow so please refrain from "practice from your stand" advie lol. I guess what I really want to know is does hunting from the tree stand change your shot and do you ai a little low/high or anything to off set that?

AJB

Re: ground shot vs tree stand?

Unread postby AJB » Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:46 pm

Depending on height is stand/angle you may shoot a bit higher. Also, remember to bend at waist while shooting downward and keep your same anchors points.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:49 pm

AJB wrote:Depending on height is stand/angle you may shoot a bit higher. Also, remember to bend at waist while shooting downward and keep your same anchors points.

This right here, keep your same form and bend at the waste and all is well. If you just lower your bow arm then everything will get thrown off. You SHOULD practice shooting just to make sure your form is good and you have confidence in your shooting.
Huntress13
500 Club

Unread postby Huntress13 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:53 pm

The most important thing is bend from the waist. If you just drop your arm you can be way off, so much so that you will wound or miss the deer.

I sighted in 1" low on the ground and from 15' tree with proper form I hit bullseye practicing. But as mentioned this can depend on how high up you are. When I don't bend from the waist I hit way high like 6" or more. Enough to make a bad shot or miss.
Twigs in my hair, don't care.
Trout
500 Club

Unread postby Trout » Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:00 am

I would definitely practice a little bit shooting from your stand in the back yard. The other thing not mentioned so far is make sure you aim for where you want the arrow to exit the deer, that will help make sure you hit the vitals you're aiming for with the angle you are shooting from
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:37 am

Well. Do you use a rangefinder? Some of them do the angle compensation for you.

Unless you are hunting really high and the deer is really close, or you are also shooting downhill, in my experience it isn’t enough to worry about.

Human error and the uncontrollable reaction of the animal are much bigger factors to worry about.

Just my opinion. I am definitely not an archery ‘expert’.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:42 am

headgear wrote:
AJB wrote:Depending on height is stand/angle you may shoot a bit higher. Also, remember to bend at waist while shooting downward and keep your same anchors points.

This right here, keep your same form and bend at the waste and all is well. If you just lower your bow arm then everything will get thrown off. You SHOULD practice shooting just to make sure your form is good and you have confidence in your shooting.

agree but I will add this. You have to consider the angle and compensate for it or it may be very likely you will get a one lung shot. Depending on how high you go and the distance you shoot - a one lung shot odd increases. There is a reason these days so many get a one lung shot - failure to compensate for angles, whether vertical or horizontal. Try to imagine and shoot to your exit hole is the best advice I was given a long time ago.

Edit: when i say angle it is in relation to where the deer vitals are not to compensate for arrow drop. Arrow drop at bowhunting ranges should not be an issue - how the vitals line up most definitely can be a difference between wounding a deer and enjoying venison and a good nights sleep.
Last edited by DaveT1963 on Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:00 am

I don't worry about the angle compensation too much unless I am in steep hill country. My range finder doesn't compensate but I will shoot straight across at a tree trunk and then the ground of the same tree. The difference has never been more than a yard, now steep hills can be a different story but ranging tree trunks at eye level is the best way to go, those angles can be 3-5 yards difference and can very much affect the shot.
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:22 am

Know your bow and how it shoots from all angles. The slightest difference in form will affect it somewhat. But not really enough to worry about for me. But Know your bow and how it shoots.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
ouachitamac

Unread postby ouachitamac » Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:59 am

take a practice arrow and take one shot prior to climbing down, every sit. It is a huge confidence builder to know you are hitting on every sit.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:19 am

Trout wrote:I would definitely practice a little bit shooting from your stand in the back yard. The other thing not mentioned so far is make sure you aim for where you want the arrow to exit the deer, that will help make sure you hit the vitals you're aiming for with the angle you are shooting from

X2
hcooper84

Unread postby hcooper84 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:13 am

Bring out that high school geometry! pythagorean theorem! The farther out you shoot the less your treestand height affects the distance. You'd have to be 30ft+ in a tree for any substantial arrow path effect. Which like mentioned can happen on ridges, big hills, etc. But even then the difference is only 3-4 yards. So if you sit around 15-20ft dont change a thing. If you are 30+ feet up and range the deer at 25yds (assuming you dont have arc adjusting range finder) then use your 20 yd pin. If youre that high and range the animal past 30 then just use your pins as normal (the height no longer plays as big a factor at this distance).

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”