Whiffed on a good one tonight. Think he'll be back?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

johndeere506
500 Club

Whiffed on a good one tonight. Think he'll be back?

Unread postby johndeere506 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:46 pm

This year had been crazy busy with work so Ive only been out a couple times at my home property. Ive been bow hunting from my close box blind since I get home from work so late, super non intrusive so Ive been just watching the cam pics and sighting develop. Today was cold, similar to my Halloween target buck 2 years ago, and I went out. The target buck showed up WAAY before dark in a food plot bumping doe around at 20 yards, not a care in the world. I couldnt get ready opening windows and clearing other deer until he was about 40 yards, to a marker I ranged earlier. Long story short he tood a couple steps and I still used the 40 pin, and must have shot right under him. Arrow was all splintered and missing the broadhead.
He ran off half speed like all 15-20 doe in the field, many doe and 3 smaller bucks came back prior to dark.

Ive never whiffed on a buck. Do you think he'll come back? He has been a regular just at dark and just after dark visitor. No experience w just scaring a deer by missing completely.

I know its just a guess if he will return, but he has been dogging doe around the past 3 nights. He is the biggest I have to hunt this year, about a 125" 8 pt.I guess the next couple days of pics and hunting will tell the story. Just curious other experience.

DaveT1963
500 Club

Re: Whiffed on a good one tonight. Think he'll be back?

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:43 am

He may or may not be back - a better approach may be to go find him.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:54 am

I can't think of a reason not to go back and give it another sit.
johndeere506
500 Club

Unread postby johndeere506 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:01 am

DaveT1963 wrote:He may or may not be back - a better approach may be to go find him.

Id love to. But this is rural, and I only have my 11 acres to hunt here. More of a pick your best days type place, since you cant sit it too much without burning it up. Some of the mature bucks Ive snowed tracked in recent years to preferred bedding is only 120-140 yards from this spot. I like getting aggressive, just not in this spot.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:04 am

got cha... then I'd throw another hunt at him and see
johndeere506
500 Club

Unread postby johndeere506 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:08 am

headgear wrote:I can't think of a reason not to go back and give it another sit.

I agree, im just so disgusted I flat out whiffed the shot, on my target buck. Still kicking myself today, I have to not think about it.

The only positive (and a big positive at that) is that I didn't wound him. I'm trying to stick with that and hope I see him again soon.
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:25 am

What did your arrow hit??? The splintered arrow and missing broadhead is interesting. How much of the arrow is missing? And what caused it to blow up??

It didn't hit him and break off as he ran off???

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”