Need Help!! Shot Question

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Forkhorn

Need Help!! Shot Question

Unread postby Forkhorn » Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:00 pm

So I shot a big buck around 5:30 tonight on public tonight. He came in fast, I shot for 30yds, he ended up being at 25yds and I hit him high. I thought right away that the shot was about 2-3inches from the top of body but the buck then ran to my brother. He said he stopped at 50yds and the entry of my shot didn’t look as high as I thought. The buck then ran 80 yds further, stopped again, an then disappeared. My bro got down and went to the spot of the first stop point and found this
My arrow had chunks of meat and hair, covered in blood. What are your guys thoughts? Thinking about going in at first light tomorrow morning. The buck crossed onto private but we got permission to cross. Any input on the shot is very much appreciated!!

cspot
500 Club

Re: Need Help!! Shot Question

Unread postby cspot » Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:08 pm

Were you lined up right and left? The backbone dips down pretty good in the chest cavity and there is more area above the backbone than what a lot of people think. If the deer was broadside and your left/right was good then either the deer will be dead or he will likely be fine as you were above the backbone.

Looking at the blood that doesn't look like lung blood to me. As you go towards the rear of the deer the backbone gets higher. Could be liver possibly?
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:10 pm

To me the blood looks dark
If he is dead he isnt going anywhere....since tomorrow is an option and you are unsure about the hit.... give him over night. No need to possibly push him in the dark

Good luck!!
Forkhorn

Unread postby Forkhorn » Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:17 pm

cspot wrote:Were you lined up right and left? The backbone dips down pretty good in the chest cavity and there is more area above the backbone than what a lot of people think. If the deer was broadside and your left/right was good then either the deer will be dead or he will likely be fine as you were above the backbone.

Looking at the blood that doesn't look like lung blood to me. As you go towards the rear of the deer the backbone gets higher. Could be liver possibly?

Deer was broadside and I hit perfect left-right
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:19 pm

I have been in your shoes before, I understand what you are going through. There are alot of variables to this question but first and most importantly how long did you wait before taking up the trail? Was he pushed?
Was the deer quartering to, away, or broadside? What was the deers reaction after the shot? Did he kick, trot off, bolt?
I do see a few bubbles in the blood. Also the blood appears to be darker. Was there a good trail to where he first stopped or was it sporadic?
"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"
cspot
500 Club

Unread postby cspot » Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:21 pm

Forkhorn wrote:
cspot wrote:Were you lined up right and left? The backbone dips down pretty good in the chest cavity and there is more area above the backbone than what a lot of people think. If the deer was broadside and your left/right was good then either the deer will be dead or he will likely be fine as you were above the backbone.

Deer was broadside and I hit perfect left-right
If that is the case then based upon the blood and your description of the arrow, I have a feeling that you are above the backbone. However you never know and the only thing you can do is give it the effort to try and find him. Hopefully I am wrong and you find him in the morning. Good luck and let us know what happens.
bigbucks1234

Unread postby bigbucks1234 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:40 pm

Can you get the bubbles in the blood with a muscle hit or liver hit?
It is dark blood but the bubbles are throwing me off.....
Forkhorn

Unread postby Forkhorn » Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:41 pm

may21581 wrote:I have been in your shoes before, I understand what you are going through. There are alot of variables to this question but first and most importantly how long did you wait before taking up the trail? Was he pushed?
Was the deer quartering to, away, or broadside? What was the deers reaction after the shot? Did he kick, trot off, bolt?
I do see a few bubbles in the blood. Also the blood appears to be darker. Was there a good trail to where he first stopped or was it sporadic?

Perfectly broadside, he busted out after the shot, no mule kick. We did not trail from the shot to where my brother found blood just to get out without bumping him. The deer was not pushed at all
Signguy84

Unread postby Signguy84 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:48 pm

Can you get the bubbles in the blood with a muscle hit or liver hit?
It is dark blood but the bubbles are throwing me off.

That’s throwing me off too. Bubbles is air. Air is lungs.
EllieTheChubb

Unread postby EllieTheChubb » Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:02 pm

Seeing the arrow would help. What color was the hair?
Forkhorn

Unread postby Forkhorn » Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:12 pm

Redman232

Unread postby Redman232 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:13 pm

White hair on the arrow, means you have a low exit. Blood looks like the arrow exited thru the liver. My guess would be you’ll have a decent blood trail and a dead buck in the morning. Don’t put too much stock in bubbles in the blood, if its dropping enough it can form bubbles when it hits the ground. If you’re confident you were good right and left, the arrow may have deflected a little off a run towards the back of the deer. Good luck
Wannabelikedan
500 Club

Unread postby Wannabelikedan » Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:58 pm

Was it possible your brother saw the exit side? Reason being is that does look like liver blood. Awfully dark and large pool for a short stopping period (not characteristic of a high entrance/exit). The hair does look white on your arrow meaning a low exit. I’ve never seen a shot above the spine bleed that much and, once again, no white hair up there. Unless you were holding higher than you thought, I bet he dropped on the shot and caused some deflection.
If your bow setup is 270+ fps 25 and 30 yards isn’t much. If you’re under the spine, he will be dead come daylight. Good luck tracking!!

May I ask what your arrow build is? Most importantly broadhead and total arrow weight.
Teaching is only demonstrating that it is possible.... Learning is making it possible for yourself.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:00 pm

You’re making the right call by waiting until morning. It’s nice and cool, meat will be fine.

Fingers crossed for ya man. Good luck!
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:28 pm

Where did you hit. I know, I'm late on thread. But, just wanted to make sure.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”