Current weather Errors...whats up with this?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

johndeere506
500 Club

Current weather Errors...whats up with this?

Unread postby johndeere506 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:03 am

Ive read some posts on Wunderground history being no good and have seen that also. That stinks I really liked the history.

Now on accuweather, it shows 7pct chance of rain hourly, yet its raining now, and radar shows a bunch of rain here and more coming. Man I could do a better short term prediction just looking at radar alone....

Maybe the answer is weve become too dependent on info and forecasts....sorry thats my only take-away from this.

DaveT1963
500 Club

Re: Current weather Errors...whats up with this?

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:10 am

I don't put any faith in the on-line weather forecasts except as a general might happen. Just the other day i was sitting in a very strong N wind when the current condition read light SE wind. I pay attention to flags as i drive to hunting locations, and milk weed as i walk in as they are a far better indicator most of the time.
Kevin2

Unread postby Kevin2 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:16 am

I thought I had the perfect wind for my best stand yesterday, and after I was walking in I could see it was going to blow the deer out. So, I turned around, did some scouting on my way back to the car.
"Hunt and let Hunt" my new saying...
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:00 am

There are often minor pressure variations that can effect wind direction in close but different localities. Plus terrain features. As far as precip. Yeah they often don't get it right!!
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:30 am

No idea what is going on but all my reliable weather apps or other links have totally gone in the crapper lately. Scoutlook used to be my standard but now that merged with Huntstand and the turned something very simple into a mess of poor information. Wunderground has always been great but is flaky at best lately with many errors. Not sure what is going on but it’s getting pretty darn frustrating. :angry-banghead:
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:37 am

DaveT1963 wrote:I don't put any faith in the on-line weather forecasts except as a general might happen. Just the other day i was sitting in a very strong N wind when the current condition read light SE wind. I pay attention to flags as i drive to hunting locations, and milk weed as i walk in as they are a far better indicator most of the time.

Same here.

I have never found a source for accurate wind direction. I just go to the location I want to hunt and hunt it for the wind that is there.

Some have suggested that you make notes of the forecast wind and the wind at your hunting location to see if there is a consistent correlation between the two. I don’t bother doing that.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
Stingray713
500 Club

Unread postby Stingray713 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:33 am

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysi ... 2818&fh=78

Learn to navigate this site and you can forecast your own weather

You can look all the short range and medium range weather models
Strategically Inefficient
Quest1001

Unread postby Quest1001 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:32 pm

I went to the rifle range today and at the line the wind was from my 4 o'clock going right to left and at the 500 yard target the wind was at 8 o'clock going left to right.

The wind varies so much by the terrain features it can be hard to predict until you're in your exact location. Just something to pay attention to.
rutnbuck

Unread postby rutnbuck » Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:28 am

Prevailing winds forecasted may be right but when I setup the trees and land contours along with thermals are almost always opposite but I know that and hunt it that way. Sometimes it takes a bit to learn the area you hunt. That's what milkweed will help you with. So don't get to wrapped up into the forecast. Maybe good if you hunt fields. I don't hunt open areas.
treeroot
500 Club

Unread postby treeroot » Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:33 am

Once the cold hits I watch for smoke out of chimneys once I start getting close to where I'm hunting. I like outdoor boilers the best, low to the ground and smoldery. Once at the hunting grounds I check again with milkweed before gearing up, then continue checking as I walk along. To many hills where I hunt to base it off any weather station.

I'm sure many on here are better at knowing terrain based wind and thermals without having to check as often as I do.
Phantomlake66

Unread postby Phantomlake66 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:21 am

Dewey wrote:No idea what is going on but all my reliable weather apps or other links have totally gone in the crapper lately. Scoutlook used to be my standard but now that merged with Huntstand and the turned something very simple into a mess of poor information. Wunderground has always been great but is flaky at best lately with many errors. Not sure what is going on but it’s getting pretty darn frustrating. :angry-banghead:

I use Intellicast, and have found it to be extremely accurate, especially hour by hour. You can look at the forecast for today, by the hour, or 10 day forecast. I pull up the 10 day forecast, and love how it's laid out. It shows everything I need to know, and can scroll through all ten days by the hour to see wind speed/direction, precipitation %, temp, barometric pressure, what cloud cover to expect, etc.. I have checked it when in the field, and when it's calling for rain at 11 am, by God it starts raining at 11 am. ;) Of course it's not 100%, but I don't think anything ever will be.

Intellicast is great for precipitation, temp, prevailing wind, etc., but I do agree with others about the terrain/thermals changing the prevailing wind. It's nice to know the prevailing wind direction if you know how the terrain will affect it.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:57 am

Phantomlake66 wrote:
Dewey wrote:No idea what is going on but all my reliable weather apps or other links have totally gone in the crapper lately. Scoutlook used to be my standard but now that merged with Huntstand and the turned something very simple into a mess of poor information. Wunderground has always been great but is flaky at best lately with many errors. Not sure what is going on but it’s getting pretty darn frustrating. :angry-banghead:

I use Intellicast, and have found it to be extremely accurate, especially hour by hour. You can look at the forecast for today, by the hour, or 10 day forecast. I pull up the 10 day forecast, and love how it's laid out. It shows everything I need to know, and can scroll through all ten days by the hour to see wind speed/direction, precipitation %, temp, barometric pressure, what cloud cover to expect, etc.. I have checked it when in the field, and when it's calling for rain at 11 am, by God it starts raining at 11 am. ;) Of course it's not 100%, but I don't think anything ever will be.

Intellicast is great for precipitation, temp, prevailing wind, etc., but I do agree with others about the terrain/thermals changing the prevailing wind. It's nice to know the prevailing wind direction if you know how the terrain will affect it.

Thanks. I’ll check it out.
Phantomlake66

Unread postby Phantomlake66 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:29 pm

Dewey wrote:
Phantomlake66 wrote:

Hey Dewey- After I responded, I got a notification that in January, Intellicast is being taken over by Weather Underground, so you may be back to square one. ;)
jzehr

Unread postby jzehr » Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:54 pm

If you search for the local national weather service forcast discussions you will find the most detailed forcast out there. Alot of it will be over your head but if you take time and begin to learn what they talk about it will help you. They may add details about subtle wind shifts and the timing of them for example. Any generic forcast won't do that.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:01 pm

Phantomlake66 wrote:
Dewey wrote:
Phantomlake66 wrote:

Hey Dewey- After I responded, I got a notification that in January, Intellicast is being taken over by Weather Underground, so you may be back to square one. ;)

I saw that. Both are actually owned by the Weather Channel now.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”