When to consider an area burned?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

thepennsylvanian
500 Club

When to consider an area burned?

Unread postby thepennsylvanian » Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:04 am

I know that this will be a relatively broad question, but I was curious when I should be moving on to a new area totally. I found a real defined scrape line, hunted it, but made the mistake of pushing to far. I expected the deer to travel a different direction, by misreading the wind. A good (relative) buck came in from behind me and worked the scrape and cut up over the ridge presenting no shot. I actually think I made it passed where he was bedded. Next time in, I bumped him trying to access differently, but he didnt know what I was, he never caught my wind.
I guess my question is should I even attempt to hunt this guy again or should I move on??

Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
headgear
500 Club

Re: When to consider an area burned?

Unread postby headgear » Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:16 am

Generally speaking when the sign goes cold they have moved on and you need to try something else. Sometimes they come back after a while too, you just never know.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:18 am

headgear wrote:Generally speaking when the sign goes cold they have moved on and you need to try something else. Sometimes they come back after a while too, you just never know.

Yep
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:10 am

What they said, but also, depends on what your goals are and the number of bucks that would meet them in the area.

If its a deer you have been chasing for years, or far and away the best buck in the area you have seen, I'd lean toward giving it a couple too may sits (making at least minor scouting based adjustments), than cutting bait too soon. They also don't often move as far as you might suspect. Could be pretty minor adjustments on their end.

If its a good buck, but nothing special to you and there are others around and you have other good spots to check, move and don't risk a wasted sit.

All relative.
Thesouthpaw
500 Club

Unread postby Thesouthpaw » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:29 am

I typically try to hunt a general area 3 or less times in a season, and typically space the hunts out 5 or more days. Naturally there are exceptions where you can hunt a spot a few more times that that, but not typically. With that being said, there are also places that I will only hunt once in a season, because human intrusion screws it up that much.
Anything worth doing, is worth over doing.
cwoods
500 Club

Unread postby cwoods » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:16 pm

I'd give it one more go based on the info you provided and if it is current intel. He's there now, he's gotten away twice, you've gotten more educated and so has he. If he's a shooter I'd tweak my game plan and go in cleaner expecting to kill. If you don't have an encounter he may still be close by but I'd move on especially with the rut ramping up. In this case I'd hunt doe bedding. If you strike out store the info for next year.
thepennsylvanian
500 Club

Unread postby thepennsylvanian » Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:00 am

Thanks for the opinions! I'm gonna give another shot and come in a different way, almost giving him the wind, almost. One thing I noticed is that when the wind crests that hill side it gets pushed up because of wind being pulled up the hill, so I could make entry from the "upwind" side, while being down wind of his bedding and the doe bedding! After that I'll be moving on, I've got a few more spots to hit while things are heating up! Thanks again!!
Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”