Clothes.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Sailfish_WC
500 Club

Clothes.

Unread postby Sailfish_WC » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:59 am

Just had my first successful muzzle hunt.
Very cool. I think I’m hooked.

Anyways, it was hot (as is typical here for FL) so I wore my light camo pants and a camo skeeter shirt.

Shot the deer and walked to go check it out.
I passed the game camera and it grabbed a pic of me at twilight time (around sunsetish).

I know about deer eyes, and what they can and cannot see and when I saw this pic I was floored.
I am now wondering if that’s how the deer see those pants!! Freakin look like white snow pants for a MI hunt

792B0185-480A-4D4D-913D-9A75DFD36216.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sailfish_WC <-- Deer watcher
Wide 9

Re: Clothes.

Unread postby Wide 9 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:26 pm

That is how infrared flash see's you. Deer do not have infrared flash. They do pick up on some yellows and blues but it's movement that you need to be more worried about. Also, it amazes me how well they see you on the ground compared to yourself in the air. When I hunt in wolf country or areas with high Yote populations it seems almost impossible to sit on the ground or even make shift ground blinds. Go 8 ft up a tree and your way better off. If your a camo freak like some are, you will find lighter colored camo to be more effective than darker camo at least to the human eye. For instance I tend to find snow camo to be the best camo starting late October moving forward in Wisconsin assuming your hunting elevated stands. Place snow camo and regular camo up in a tree and you will see a noticeable difference leaning towards the snow camo. When you look at a November woods closely you will see more shadows and white sun light off the trees, including white clouds. These resemble more of the white and black in snow camo. Then, if you do the snow camo experiment in a tree take the comparative pics in grey scale on your camera phone. The snow camo will usually win and we know that deer see in that grey scale with slight hues of blue and yellow as I mentioned before.

Now, if I buy camo i don't care what the camo pattern is as long as it's a lighter camo color. My priority is it well built and does it have the pockets, durability and warmth that I'm looking for.
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:14 pm

It has been interesting to me how deer don’t seem to see me in blaze orange any better than regular camo.
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:33 pm

Brighteners in fabrics is very visible to deer. This never used to be much of an issue till we were flooded with cheap overseas clothing.
Noreast10pt
500 Club

Unread postby Noreast10pt » Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:42 pm

Sailfish_WC
500 Club

Unread postby Sailfish_WC » Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:04 am

Good stuff!
I went to the other thread as well as the IE/nir link

What would be nice, would be a cheap pair of
Glasses that are in the blue/Uv range the deer see.
Sailfish_WC <-- Deer watcher
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:49 am

Dewey wrote:Brighteners in fabrics is very visible to deer. This never used to be much of an issue till we were flooded with cheap overseas clothing.

This.

I am a firm believer in UV. All my hunting clothing gets washed in UV killer and the scent free clothes wash; not because of the scent free part. I do it because the hunting soaps do not contain UV brightners.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
fr0sty

Unread postby fr0sty » Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:10 am

I don't agree that UV brighteners are the result of cheap, overseas manufacturing. I was curious about it a few months back because my wife gives me shite about buying clothes with no uv brighteners and not using laundry detergent with them, and that hunters have always killed deer without expensive duds. Anyway, I found that uv brighteners were in use starting in the late 60's.

The reason they're used is because our clothes appear whiter when they're used. If anything, it costs more money to add them to fabrics rather than not.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:53 am

fr0sty wrote:I don't agree that UV brighteners are the result of cheap, overseas manufacturing. I was curious about it a few months back because my wife gives me shite about buying clothes with no uv brighteners and not using laundry detergent with them, and that hunters have always killed deer without expensive duds. Anyway, I found that uv brighteners were in use starting in the late 60's.

The reason they're used is because our clothes appear whiter when they're used. If anything, it costs more money to add them to fabrics rather than not.

Answer this. My old camo from the 80's-early 90's that was made in USA shows zero glow when held under a black light. These days just about everything I test that's manufactured overseas glows like crazy.

http://www.atsko.com/how-to-check-camo- ... r-uv-glow/

http://www.atsko.com/how-game-animals-see-smell/
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:28 am

All Free & Clear or Arm & Hammer All & Clear - both do not have any dyes, brightners or smell good junk. You're wasting your money if you are buying repackaged soap sold as hunters soaps IMO
fr0sty

Unread postby fr0sty » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:39 am

My only point is that the overseas manufactures make it that way because the company orders it, not because it's cheaper. I think the reason it's everywhere is because consumers like the way clothes with uv brighteners look.

Dewey wrote:
fr0sty wrote:I don't agree that UV brighteners are the result of cheap, overseas manufacturing. I was curious about it a few months back because my wife gives me shite about buying clothes with no uv brighteners and not using laundry detergent with them, and that hunters have always killed deer without expensive duds. Anyway, I found that uv brighteners were in use starting in the late 60's.

Answer this. My old camo from the 80's-early 90's that was made in USA shows zero glow when held under a black light. These days just about everything I test that's manufactured overseas glows like crazy.

http://www.atsko.com/how-to-check-camo- ... r-uv-glow/

http://www.atsko.com/how-game-animals-see-smell/

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”