Kestral Flex and Mantis.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Tennhunter3
500 Club

Kestral Flex and Mantis.

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:59 am

Today my Kestral Flex arrived immediately I noticed it appeared built stronger and heavier then my mantis.

Comparing the 2 is not really possible they both are so different.

I noticed the flex is super comfortable to sit in the tree.
Best way to describe it is a small hammock.

The mantis is great for leaning and few hour hunts deep in it definitely has a place and time to use
The flex is definitely for rut sitting all day and gun season.

I bought the biggest flex size 2 even though I'm 160 pounds 34 waist and it straps all the way down to fit my waste. The cup goes from my lower back to just above my knees. I feel like it would be impossible to fall out.

Flex appears huge but when it's in tree I feel like I'm in a lazy boy recliner havent felt this way since being in my summit viper. It's just cool.

I've really enjoyed the bow season in my large mantis no complaints about it and look forward to using my mantis again next bow season.

Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Dewey

Re: Kestral Flex and Mantis.

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:19 am

Tennhunter3 wrote:Today my Kestral Flex arrived immediately I noticed it appeared built stronger and heavier then my mantis.

The mantis is great for leaning and few hour hunts deep in it definitely has a place and time to use

I bought the biggest flex size 2 even though I'm 160 pounds 34 waist and it straps all the way down to fit my waste. The cup goes from my lower back to just above my knees. I feel like it would be impossible to fall out.

Flex appears huge but when it's in tree I feel like I'm in a lazy boy recliner havent felt this way since being in my summit viper. It's just cool.

I've really enjoyed the bow season in my large mantis no complaints about it and look forward to using my mantis again next bow season.

I have the original Kestrel and recently got a Mantis. I'll be honest the Mantis is just not doing it for me and I love my Kestrel so can imagine the Flex is even better. Think my Mantis is eventually going to end up in the classifieds but gonna give it a bit more time. Aerohunter puts out some very high quality stuff and you can just feel the craftsmanship there when holding it. I think the Mantis is more of a minimalistic type saddle for someone that likes bare bones without a lot of features. I actually like the quick release buckles on the Kestrel even though they add some extra weight. Also the Kestrel just seems more comfortable when wearing even when not in the tree. Lot's of differences between the two. I would really like to try the Flex. Thinking that may be the perfect saddle.
phade
500 Club

Unread postby phade » Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:27 am

I'm struggling. I bought two full kits (one of them Kestrel Flex) from Aero....on July 25. Still not here yet. Lead time has obviously elapsed already.

Hope it's worth the wait. Everyone notes the comfort on the Kestrel/Flex.
http://www.pursuitoutdoors.com
Trail Camera Sales, Industry Updates, and Cam Troubleshooting - PM for HB pricing
NYBackcountry
500 Club

Unread postby NYBackcountry » Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:28 am

Perfect timing for this post, I bought a mantis going into this season and have about 15-20 sits in it so far. I agree 100% on the mantis being a minimalist saddle and is ideal for a few hour sits. I ordered a Kestrel Flex a few weeks back to try out, I'll likely return one after I try them both for awhile. I'm glad to hear that the Flex is what I was thinking it would be.
bowhuntr09

Unread postby bowhuntr09 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:36 am

I bought a Mantis last year as my first saddle and loved it. But this summer I ordered a Flex when it was released and I haven't used my Mantis once this season. I don't think I will sell it, it makes a good backup to the Flex but I can't bring myself to pick the Mantis over the Flex.
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:00 am

NYBackcountry wrote:Perfect timing for this post, I bought a mantis going into this season and have about 15-20 sits in it so far. I agree 100% on the mantis being a minimalist saddle and is ideal for a few hour sits. I ordered a Kestrel Flex a few weeks back to try out, I'll likely return one after I try them both for awhile. I'm glad to hear that the Flex is what I was thinking it would be.

I am in the exact same situation. Good to read this post. I am sure by the time we get comfortable in the flex tethrd will have a new one lol.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:13 am

Tennhunter3 wrote:Today my Kestral Flex arrived immediately I noticed it appeared built stronger and heavier then my mantis.

What do you use for a platform?
Why did you get a size 2?
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:24 am

I have the kestrel, Kite and Mantis saddles. All of them work fine. I prefer the Mantis for several reasons. I find no difference as far as comfort personally, but find significant difference between them if you want to pack it up and put it on quietly while in the woods close to bedding. Since I often am wading streams I do nor wear my saddle into the stand - I keep it in my pack until I am ready to hunt.

I am sure there will be several new versions out after the first of the year - at this point in the season may want to wait to see?
Enkriss
500 Club

Unread postby Enkriss » Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:29 am

I have had a Mantis, Kestrel, Flex, Ambush lite and Yarak.

I have been bouncing between the Yarak and the Mantis. I like the Yarak the best.
Last edited by Enkriss on Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:30 am

brancher147 wrote:

What do you use for a platform?
Why did you get a size 2?

I use the tops of my beast sticks on short sits.
I use predator platform on long sits.

I bought a size 2 because I'm wearing multiple layers during cold weather and I wanted the bigger cup seat that the size 2 provides a huge increase in comfort.
It's very similar to sitting in a hammock.

It's really impossible to go to big on a saddle.
The waist and leg straps fit no matter the size ordered.
Most people order too small of a saddle.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:47 am

These are the details that make Aerohunter the best out there. Sounds minor but little things like this are really appreciated. 8-)

elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:12 am

Last season I used the Kite and the Mantis. The Kite won out, it wasn't a huge margin but I found it more comfortable. I made some modifications to the buckles and use a fixed webbing bridge.

This season I bought the Flex. Again I customized the buckles to my preferences. I prefer a sliding bar buckle like comes stock on the Kite. For the leg buckle I replace with the Tethered G Hooks. I ordered the adjustable webbing bridge from Aero.

Between the Kite and the Flex I've split my hunts this year, and really don't notice much of a difference. The adjustable bridge doesn't do much for me. It's semi-useful to tighten it when walking to gather everything in, but on a fixed bridge I accomplish the same just by tucking it into the waistband. It's just one more moving part in a system I think best to keep as simple as possible. The Flex panel does make for a deeper seat, but the Flex's cordura fabric is rigid, whereas the Kite mesh gives. The Flex panel never closes, which should be obvious to anyone looking at the design.
There is a modification out there to sew elastic to close it, but to me it's a total non-factor. I'm undecided if I am going to keep the Flex or try to trade it for a Kite.

My experiences with Aerohunter have been great. Their customer service is top notch. They've been great about letting me make order changes and customization, and the quality of the sewing handiwork and materials selection is evident just handling the gear. The first Mantis I ordered actually had a defect I had to return, and the second you could just tell the seams were messier and not done as carefully. Not a safety issue but it's definitely a factor comparing the two just noticing one appeared more mass-produced than the other.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
peteherbst

Unread postby peteherbst » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:31 am

This is the first year I’ve hunted out of a saddle, and I bought the mantis. Ive been playing around with the idea to buy a regular kestrel as well this offseason since that seems to be a comfort favorite. But we’ll see.

Since I’m coming from a treestand and only have experience with the mantis, all I can really input here is that I don’t find the mantis uncomfortable. There might be more comfortable saddles out there and maybe ignorance is bliss.
“You have to pay your dues”
hokiehunter373

Unread postby hokiehunter373 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:58 am

brancher147 wrote:
NYBackcountry wrote:Perfect timing for this post, I bought a mantis going into this season and have about 15-20 sits in it so far. I agree 100% on the mantis being a minimalist saddle and is ideal for a few hour sits. I ordered a Kestrel Flex a few weeks back to try out, I'll likely return one after I try them both for awhile. I'm glad to hear that the Flex is what I was thinking it would be.

I am in the exact same situation. Good to read this post. I am sure by the time we get comfortable in the flex tethrd will have a new one lol.

A new one is in the works. Jake from THP was wearing it on the hunt 2 videos ago on the channel where he called the buck in to 6 yards. They had that video up for a day or so before deleting it and releasing a new video with the saddle blurred out in it.
Get me in the woods
parkersdad

Unread postby parkersdad » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:45 am

I could not get comfortable in either so I bought the JX3 Hybrid. Now I sit in the comfort of a Summit Viper with the flexibility of a saddle. I love the fork that contacts the tree as it takes all of the weight off of my feet and knees and I don't need a platform. I also only use the top of my stick for my feet.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”