Low wind or no wind hill country

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Jtcamo
Facebook: Jtcamo

Low wind or no wind hill country

Unread postby Jtcamo » Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:56 am

Like the topic says; I tried searching for any strategy on this. Seems this year we’ve got relatively low winds (under 5mph) or just straight calm 0mph wind days.. is there any way to effectively hunt this? I mean pre rut is essentially here and I’m in some heavy hill country. There’s some good big open creek bottoms I feel like I could maybe get away with on evening hunts with no wind and thermals dropping.. but beyond that I’m not sure. Just looking for input; thanks! (SE Ohio public hill country)

brancher147
500 Club

Re: Low wind or no wind hill country

Unread postby brancher147 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:42 am

Just hunt thermals. Watch milkweed and adjust accordingly.
Or do what I have done a lot this season, watch milkweed and adjust accordingly only to have wind change again and then cuss while deer run away :doh:
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
Jtcamo

Unread postby Jtcamo » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:54 am

So basically normal tactics above / below trails in hill country. I guess with no wind their bedding could be at random; yet best bedding that may suit there needs more for sound and sight rather than smell? Just wasn’t sure if the thermal tunnel was still relevant with no wind. Or if people tend to find them in the bottoms sooner and more on no wind/ calm days.
Evanszach7
500 Club

Unread postby Evanszach7 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:45 pm

Id check the infographics on Wunderground. Even on light and variable days there should still be a predominant direction with occasional gusts. On variable days, bedding with sight advantage is best, which sets up well for traditional hill country.

Good idea to try one of those creek bottom sets, especially if its a thermal hub for this time of year.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:47 pm

My personal experience hunting hills (600’ to 1,200’) is that you want either no wind or a steady, strong wind.

No wind just hunt thermals as mentioned, I’m either at the top or hunting a wide, open bottom ideally with a creek pulling my scent.

The tricky winds for me are 5-12 ish MPH winds that aren’t steady. You’ll get a wind “curl” as Brad Herndon calls it in Mapping Trophy Whitetails. The gusts will go over the top of the hills, hit the bottom then spin around and come back up the hill. This seem like thermal pull, but only happens after a gust pushes through.

I included the elevations and wind speeds to give you an idea, no two hills are alike and the wind/thermals are constantly changing.

Let the milkweed fly, hope this helps
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:41 am

I love when thermal trump wind, makes me fell untouchable. But has to be pretty clear and sunny otherwise things can get shifty.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
swwave24

Unread postby swwave24 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:35 am

I know hill country the wind tunnel can be very subjective on each ridge. So, this question is looking for a generalization. Would one agree or disagree, higher the leeward wind = lower the wind tunnel on the ridge, the last the leeward wind = higher the wind tunnel on the ridge? :think:
BackCoverBowHunter

Unread postby BackCoverBowHunter » Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:38 am

As soon as you find sign, or get close to your hunting area drop milkweed so you see where your scent is going at ground level. It will really help you have a good understanding at where you should be setting up to give you the best opportunity.
Extreme Effort Only
Jtcamo

Unread postby Jtcamo » Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:55 pm

Guess I always knew that thermals would then be plain as day just never thought “Take advantage of dominate thermals” with no wind. Duh!! I’m gonna roll with it next calm day we have. Thanks gents.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”