Tactics for going in blind

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
RookieBeast2019

Re: Tactics for going in blind

Unread postby RookieBeast2019 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:06 am

milkweed-militia wrote:
<DK> wrote:Not something that gets talked about often but I like using scents or drag rags when heading into unknown situations. Its worked out great for me.

I was considering trying that this weekend. I have pre-scouted the spot, but there's only one way in and deer could come from that direction. Any scents you'd recommend?

Interested in this as well. Any recommendations and or tips or tricks?

Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:53 am

PK_ wrote:I love watching the PLC because that is how I was doing 90% of my hunting for the last decade. I have no time to scout off season and I was devouring new ground every season in and out of state trying to find the best public land I could find.

Picking the right terrain is paramount.

Picking an area that has a strong deer herd is a close 2nd.

Then comes tactics and mindset. You have to be willing to keep grinding. I have too many examples to get into it where trips seemed like a bust until the last couple days I get into the deer.

You need to have a lot of public in the area and/or be willing to travel around. When I am going to a new state I travel very light and sleep in the truck or small pop tent. I am not sticking to a piece of public or part of the state of it doesn’t make me feel warm and fuzzy.

How much sign? Depends, very early season pretty much any fresh rubs is a great indicator. The only way to know how much sign is good sign for that are/time of year is to get out there and look over a lot. And don’t overlook fields early season, I have seen lots of shooter bucks coming out into open fields in the first week of season you would never think they would.

If I am in the rut. I don’t usually spend much time looking for sign. I am hunting very specific terrain features and I am spending as much time as possible in a tree. You will know within a few hours if you are in the money or not... typically.

Be prepared to strike out on some trips, it happens. But I promise you it is a very doable thing if you understand a bit about terrain and deer behavior and are not afraid of work.

THIS.

Every single bit of it.

I would really have liked to go back to the spot I hunted day 1 in WI. Problem was it was 70 miles and I had a ton of closer spots marked that I wanted to see. If we had more of a mobile camping situation, I would have gave it another go.

Driving a lot sucks. It’s wasted gas and less sleep.
tundra@1

Unread postby tundra@1 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:56 pm

PK said it all, excellent post..... This is what I do, for the Halloween week. I do not usually sit in a stand. I am on the ground, hunting a strong herd, and using the terrain to my advantage, that is up and down hills and kettles etc. Yesterday had 11 encounters 2 bucks, to small, and everything within 50 yards. I am in Wis, and like out west, I am ready to shoot 40 yards if needed..

I like to keep tabs on the hot sign, and by next week will be in a tree, at certain locations. I love to scout, but in season, I go in blind all the time, hit the woods, and just hunt.................

unlike stand hunters who use milkweed, I usually use a bic lighter, constantly watching the wind. Deer are moving and so am I,,, I enjoy the heck out of it.......................... also do not carry crap with you, I carry phone, (emergency), knife, and tags and water if needed,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

stay well and good luck
Sailfish_WC
500 Club

Unread postby Sailfish_WC » Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:12 am

I’m no Beast. More like a Pup :D
Since I started here and listening to Dans videos/podcasts, things for me on public land have changed greatly.

I pretty much do aerial scouting.
Looks for areas on the google map that (I think) a deer would feel safe. As mentioned many times on here it may be right near the parking lot or deep In a swamp on a tiny island. And everywhere between

I literally hit the ground in that area w the stand on my back and almost every time I find deer. I may not kill but I’m getting a better feel it seems each time
As mentioned, I’m not seeing ‘beast’ deer, but deer nonetheless. I’m still refining my game.

Good luck

Have you considered Dans Video series?
Sailfish_WC <-- Deer watcher
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:40 pm

RookieBeast2019 wrote:
milkweed-militia wrote:
<DK> wrote:Not something that gets talked about often but I like using scents or drag rags when heading into unknown situations. Its worked out great for me.

I was considering trying that this weekend. I have pre-scouted the spot, but there's only one way in and deer could come from that direction. Any scents you'd recommend?

Well the #1 factor is at least knowing a sense of pressure on the property. Higher pressured areas I don't try anything. I like it bc if its a unknown situation then it's just an extra gamble. I still game plan to the fullest but I have nothing to lose in those situations. I find that when I already know what to do on a property but try to force a scent into the equation it generally works out negatively or not at all. If i know where great spots or bedding areas are then I dont see a need to use it. I like it specifically for a low confidence scenario.

I like using it mainly on blind AM entries. I make one line with it at the bottom of valley or certain transition lines. As bucks are cruising before daylight or heading back to bed I hope that maybe one crosses the trail and picks it up. They can travel alot in the hour before sunup. Once on private where the deer are road hunted alot I used it on an old grown up logging road parallel to the road. Obvious travel route for deer and a giant 12 followed it like he read the script. Once on public w moderate pressure, same scenario but I walked a creek bottom between bedding. Just the other night I dumped some doe in heat on a leaf next to me bc the wind was getting swirly after being perfect all eve. Again, another unknown situation on a new place. 30 mins after I set the scent here come one of biggest bucks iv been in range w. Idk if it was for sure the scent on that hunt but he came through the woods like a bull to 20 yards. Fresh scrape was upwind and fresh young buck rubs. Zero shooter buck sign from what I saw.

Everyone has different luck or sees different things so id just suggest playing around with it if you're interested. Someone suggested wall hanger scents to me have yet to try them but I read it has great reviews. Two hot does has been hit or miss. Your basic tinks or walmart stuff can work but remember where you may be hunting. I find bottles or cans of that stuff on some of the public lands I hunt. I have yet to try buck scent but the "experts" say it works great especially if there is a nocturnal buck you're after. I would like to buy some top of the line stuff to try out. I saw one where it has to stay cold and its very fresh.

Lastly, I haven't tried yet either but there is an argument that can be made it working best for mature bucks early season. Basically laying the first hot doe scent in an area. Another basic strategy using it is simply putting a little out around stand location in good spots for the deer to stop. If they are interested then it gives a great shot opportunity.
beddedbuck

Unread postby beddedbuck » Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:22 pm

RookieBeast2019 wrote:
milkweed-militia wrote:

My brother, my dad, and I have all shot very nice mature deer that all 3 were hot on the scent. Product we use is Wags Scents. Doe estrus is unreal.
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:22 pm

dan wrote:Map out potential spots... then cover ground till I find hot sign... step three, shoot the buck

How are you avoiding blowing out an area while looking for sign? Also, some areas where I caught bucks bedded there wasn’t much or any sign. For example, you can’t always tell how big tracks are here in pines or places that aren’t really wet.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:51 pm

checkerfred wrote:
dan wrote:Map out potential spots... then cover ground till I find hot sign... step three, shoot the buck

How are you avoiding blowing out an area while looking for sign? Also, some areas where I caught bucks bedded there wasn’t much or any sign. For example, you can’t always tell how big tracks are here in pines or places that aren’t really wet.

Deer leave sign... You have to get good at reading it. It aint easy and some guesses are wrong, some are right. As far as blowing deer out, they bed in certain terrain types, getting good at reading that, and predicting that, and looking at the sign from the right distance, is important.... None of this is easy, especially at 1st... Just do it, stick with it, and eventually you should get good at it.
EllieTheChubb

Unread postby EllieTheChubb » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:06 am

BowHusker wrote:
RookieBeast2019 wrote:What about going in blind and a morning hunt?

Or is that a no no?

When I do this I usually wait until gray light before going in to an unfamiliar area. It's just almost flat impossible to not be really loud in the dark and I almost always lose my sense of direction and end up way off course lol.

X2
its also pretty tough to see the terrain and sign by headlamp
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:54 pm

I LOVE hunting this way. I'm pretty much done with dark mornings...
treeroot
500 Club

Unread postby treeroot » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:00 pm

The more blind hunting I'm doing I'm sticking to the general principles. Generally deer will bed at x elevation, fed on x, use x transitions, funnel under x circumstances, react to pressure in x way. Even though the types of areas change, the general principles apply. So it allows me to look at a map/ topo and narrow it down. From there it's scout my way in. Which also might lead me to sit an odd area because the sign is there before pushing further.

Reality is some deer don't follow the basic principles. So sometimes I bump them or an area isn't what the map/topo showed. But if the property is large enough I should be able to find another option. Or maybe the sign isn't really popping out but the area screams buck land. So I might throw a sit at it before burning it.

I can't remember who said it: go someplace you've never been, figure it out and it will help you hunt where you know. I think is very true. The more of it I'm doing the faster I'm learning.
peteherbst

Unread postby peteherbst » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:17 am

Bump
“You have to pay your dues”
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:39 pm

There's some good reading in this thread. Im going to bump this one up
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:50 pm

Since I don't do a lot of preseason scouting I feel most of my hunts are going in blind. I do study maps and weather, especially wind direction and I do a lot of loops and cover ground. I ground hunt a lot even during archery season so I am constantly moving, but not fast, and not loud.

On my 2018 DIY solo muzzle loader elk hunt, besides staring at maps for weeks, that was totally blind. Cover ground look for hot sign and go in creep mode when they are seen. Now I am no BBSK, but you can walk up on deer, or into them, freeze, wait them out and shoot them. Never jerk the weapon up into shooting position. Move slowly, whisper Hi (that always takes the edge off), and let them have it. Dang, 2019 was brutal almost think I forgot how to hunt, need to blast something for confidence soon.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:11 pm

This is something I still struggle with.
Most areas I hunt have very little sign outside of bedding areas. It can be very hard knowing where too stop and I often go too far in.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”