Now or later? And I ain’t talking’ candy.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Mschmeiske
500 Club
Facebook: Www.facebook.com/mschmeiske

Now or later? And I ain’t talking’ candy.

Unread postby Mschmeiske » Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:46 am

I have 60 acres that Ive got permission to hunt and I’ve only done so twice right at the beginning of October. I saw a half dozen+ does and one buck during that time. I thought about getting back in there tomorrow since things are ramping up, but I noticed a cold front coming in later this week...should wait?

Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Re: Now or later? And I ain’t talking’ candy.

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:22 pm

Depends on how much ground you have to hunt. I have too many places and not enough time, so I don’t mind jumping in and burning bridges to make sure I get first chances.
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:54 am

I dont know without seeing your situation... but I can say, I would have a lot less bucks on the wall if I always waited for perfect situations.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:47 am

Go scout it and look for tracks and buck sign. Let them tell you. Woods could be torn up since you’ve been there...

Certainly don’t stay inside ;) it’s late October. Time to hit the woods.
IndyDawg

Unread postby IndyDawg » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:18 am

Yesterday I hunted a piece of public that I sat back on October 4th. The sign in the area has really come on strong in the last few weeks with fresh rubs and new fresh scrapes. I also found some ridges with more acorns than I found on my first sit.
Jphill87

Unread postby Jphill87 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:37 am

Mschmeiske wrote:I have 60 acres that Ive got permission to hunt and I’ve only done so twice right at the beginning of October. I saw a half dozen+ does and one buck during that time. I thought about getting back in there tomorrow since things are ramping up, but I noticed a cold front coming in later this week...should wait?

Not sure what the property is like but IMHO I would go sooner and try and dial in where the does are bedding and spending the majority of their time if you don’t already know. If you found that spot it would be worth throwing a sit at it to try and catch a cruising buck. Me and my brother blew out a bedding area on heavily pressured property yesterday evening and set up over it and watched several deer walk right back into it within an hour.
My thinking would be that even if you buggered the spot up I think the intel would be worth it for your next attempt
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:16 am

I would hunt if the wind is right. I’m waiting for a northern wind to go hunt my private property. A wrong wind you could do more damage in IMO than temperatures
johndeere506
500 Club

Unread postby johndeere506 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:23 am

dan wrote: I can say, I would have a lot less bucks on the wall if I always waited for perfect situations.

This comment is why we need a like button on posts. Perfect weather and conditions are great, but many people, myself included have killed good bucks on non ideal days.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:38 am

Bucks live 24/7 in their environment. They eat, they poop, they drink, they sleep and they breed. They do not stop because of hunting season - they adjust. There are so many theories, but the fact is, every single day of season someone is knocking down a great buck - and no time is it more prevalent than the last week of oct - November (kill threads, telemetry and stats all back this up). I hunt every opportunity I get because throughout 40 years I can attest I cannot predict very well when that will be - there are just too may variables - but there is one factor present in 100% of my kills and opportunities for kills - I wasn't sitting at home waiting for a better day the day I killed them.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:56 am

johndeere506 wrote:
dan wrote: I can say, I would have a lot less bucks on the wall if I always waited for perfect situations.

This comment is why we need a like button on posts. Perfect weather and conditions are great, but many people, myself included have killed good bucks on non ideal days.

So your suggesting hunt a small private piece with the wrong wind?
Wide 9

Unread postby Wide 9 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:50 am

A lot of variables here. What is the past history of buck movement on the property? What other properties can you hunt in the meantime? I use Onyx, a journal, and series of trail camera pics with weather underground past data saved with those pics. I also include perceived hunting pressure, food sources, and weather in my journaling. I have learned that different bucks utilizing the same properties over the years will come thru an area like clockwork if certain variables align. I have also learned to have patience and also to move in ASAP when needed and I base this off of positive variables.

However, in order to get the data sometimes I made the mistake of going in to soon, to far, not soon enough etc... What I didn't get in shooting a big buck I received in intel for the following year or to hunt another part of the property. What has screwed me at times is by the time I got the intel to know the property like the back of my hand I lost permission to hunt that property.

Let's look at 2 scenarios:

1. Going Soon

Positive: Increase the possibility of getting the core area buck before he puts on the extended rut travels.
Negative: You didn't set up close enough to his bed and because of the warmer weather he moved closer to dark. Smelled your stand after
you left for the evening hunt and now deems that area dangerous.

2. Going later during right conditions

Positive: Your stand was off from bedding further than you thought. But because he moved earlier due to the colder temps and higher
testosterone build-up he presented a daylight shot. Also, could have a non core buck in the area.
Negative: He put on the walking shoes due to a lack of does or the neighbors property had a doe come into heat early and he is no longer a
core buck.

In both scenarios a common denominator would be "how good do you know the property, the deer that live on it, and your own skills?"
If you have a specific buck your after, you trust in your intel and especially your skills, I would go in early.

If you are suspect of the area and not sure you're setting up on a big buck or his bed at the least. Then you may want mother nature on your side to give you a novice edge. And this would call for you to wait.

Hope this helps a little in your decision.

Good Luck.
gsquared23

Unread postby gsquared23 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:15 pm

If you know the best spot on the property already, I’d wait until the first week of November. If you’re not quite sure, an observation sit now will help provide the info you need for the best days.

Our farm has one AWESOME spot, 3 bucks killed out of it with another good one missed. But it’s never any good until it’s really good, and it’s pressure sensitive.
Bowhunting is not for the faint of heart. But fortune favors the bowed.
Mschmeiske
500 Club
Facebook: Www.facebook.com/mschmeiske

Unread postby Mschmeiske » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:42 pm

Hopefully these photos post. The blue circle is doe bedding I found in the early season. The yellow dots are two rubs I found and the purple line is where I saw tracks/does headed to the creek bottom. I also had an encounter with a buck who was bedded down in the creek in the south west corner. He wasn’t a monster, but I heard there was a “big” one spotted down in the creek at one point in September. Our season opens October. The one thing I need to get better at when scouting is looking for where to set up.. :doh: im not sure if there were many trees to hang in right near the bedding, most were low hemlocks/pine trees providing cover for them. Not to say I couldn’t try setting up on the ground if I need too.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”