buck went nocturnal, now what?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

riceg53

buck went nocturnal, now what?

Unread postby riceg53 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:37 pm

So over the last few weeks I had discovered the biggest public land buck I have ever seen. The first time he was on camera was October 9th. I was actually hunting that day but chose to set up somewhere else like an idiot. the first time he showed up was at 7:01, 4 minutes before closing time. The next night he showed up again the same time. I went to pull the card and replace the card on my camera, but now all the pictures I have of him are at around 2-3 am almost every night. I thought it was safe to assume he was bedding somewhere close to there because he originally showed up at last light. What would you guys do in this situation? I also noticed that this time on camera he is coming from the other side of my spot, closer to the parking lot. I think I actually found his tracks in the parking lot yesterday. Could it be possible hes bedded watching the access now? I also have a theory he might be going back to his original bed where i first saw him come from in the morning, coming from down wind scent checking before he goes in, which is why he is now traveling the opposite way in my trail camera pics now. What do you guys think, should I go in there deeper and try to hunt him down or lay off for a few weeks, maybe wait for a cold day during rut? I really want to get this buck more than any deer I've hunted before so hit me with your best ideas! thanks!

Jonny
500 Club

Re: buck went nocturnal, now what?

Unread postby Jonny » Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:49 am

I’d probably quit checking the camera and start scouting for where he is living now. Could wait for the rut but I generally strike out on my hope and prayer hunts.

He can cover a ton of ground by 2-3am so he could be bedding anywhere within a mile or two. I’d pull up a map and start checking around potential bedding areas looking for sign
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
riceg53

Unread postby riceg53 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:44 am

Jonny wrote:I’d probably quit checking the camera and start scouting for where he is living now. Could wait for the rut but I generally strike out on my hope and prayer hunts.

He can cover a ton of ground by 2-3am so he could be bedding anywhere within a mile or two. I’d pull up a map and start checking around potential bedding areas looking for sign

Since he first showed up at 7 i figured he would be bedding somewhere close by. I am going to go look for his sign but I feel he might not have laid ch don because I dont think there is much competition with him in there. I also dont want to risk kicking him out of the area for good so im kinda stuck here
Jurist

Unread postby Jurist » Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:31 am

riceg53 wrote:
Jonny wrote:I’d probably quit checking the camera and start scouting for where he is living now. Could wait for the rut but I generally strike out on my hope and prayer hunts.

Since he first showed up at 7 i figured he would be bedding somewhere close by. I am going to go look for his sign but I feel he might not have laid ch don because I dont think there is much competition with him in there. I also dont want to risk kicking him out of the area for good so im kinda stuck here

Well what are you gonna do? Let him live there and NOT hunt him?...

The worst thing that can happen is you don't get him, and right now you are in that state... so only good can come of it.
"We know they are lying,
they know they are lying,
they know we know they are lying,
we know they know we know they are lying,
but they are still lying."
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Unread postby Tim H » Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:34 am

My suggestion is to go find him. Don't let the pictures deter you from thinking he's only moving in the daylight. You're not chasing a picture. You're chasing a giant buck!
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:16 am

Certainly may have changed patterns bedding, but also could just be skirting the camera in the evening and not as concerned coming back early am. I’d let the cam soak and focus on likely bedding and tracks. Pull them cam at the end of the season and you may have the puzzle solved on him or whoever is using the bedding next year.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:16 am

Yeah go after him. You got one of the biggest pieces of the puzzle. You know a great buck is in the area. Remember Dan's Chasing a Dream YT video. He just kept at it til he killed that buck. You've got nothing to lose. Sit back, odds are high you'll never even see him while on stand. Dive in you may find more pieces to the puzzle. Which can put you and he on a "collision" course. :handgestures-fingerscrossed:
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:29 am

I don't think he's nocturnal, I think you being in there shifted his pattern. You need to now get where he is during daylight. Look for sign and set up and hunt him.
iowa whitetail
500 Club

Unread postby iowa whitetail » Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:49 am

Almost every mature buck does this. I'm not a deer but my thought is they kinda slow down a few weeks out from the rut to build up some extra energy. It's nothing to worry about. They usually show up after dark but more often. Also kinda think they are running there territory hitting scrapes and seeing what else is there. Wait a week and a half and go kill him. He will show up as long as you dont get dumb about it. Wind!
1STRANGEWILDERNESS
500 Club

Unread postby 1STRANGEWILDERNESS » Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:25 pm

Boy, sounds about like my dilemma. Located a big woods beast by chance but cannot find rubs, scrapes, rarely have bare dirt to look for tracks. I feel your pain. I’m going to follow this thread and take the advice others give you.

Only if I like it of course :lol:
don’t be broadcasting when you should be tuning in
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:01 pm

Don’t worry about it. I am getting lots of daytime pictures of good bucks but still can’t lay eyes on them. He’s not nocturnal he’s just a mature buck that knows how to survive. Keep on scouting and hunting until you find him. But be smart about it.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
mipubbucks24
500 Club

Unread postby mipubbucks24 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:57 pm

Hunt down every possible bedding area from where you think he is coming from. Sneak in looking for sign and if you find enough fresh stuff set up on it, but make sure you are referencing the sign back to bedding. You will bump into him one way or another. If he is on public land he has been bumped more then once, he is living in that area because he feels safe, so don’t worry about bumping him if you do. Like Dan says that just means game on.
riceg53

Unread postby riceg53 » Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:21 am

Awesome replies from everyone! Definitely going back in there on Halloween. I’ll keep you guys updated and hopefully I get him on the ground!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”