Out of State/ Non-resident preference points options

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Chasingdinner
Facebook: www.facebook.com/chasingdinner

Out of State/ Non-resident preference points options

Unread postby Chasingdinner » Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:35 am

I am aware of the system Iowa has in place for preference points for non-resident deer tags. Which other states do a similar process? I would like to build up a few options/states over the next few years with a few friends, but I am really just starting to look into it and thought that might be a good starting point. Thanks

83mulligan

Re: Out of State/ Non-resident preference points options

Unread postby 83mulligan » Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:04 am

do a search for randy newberg hunter on google and start following his stuff. He has links to a lot of public land/draw license info. I think he's a big proponent of gohunt for that stuff. He hunts all public land and if you check out his info and podcasts you'll be able to start to untangle that mess!
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:18 pm

Chasingdinner wrote:I am aware of the system Iowa has in place for preference points for non-resident deer tags. Which other states do a similar process? I would like to build up a few options/states over the next few years with a few friends, but I am really just starting to look into it and thought that might be a good starting point. Thanks

Kansas, Wyoming, Montana, Utah, most of the western states actually.
jwilkstn
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jason.wilkerson.71

Unread postby jwilkstn » Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:07 pm

For general hunts, it's Iowa, Kansas, and further west. However, several (maybe most? ) Eastern states have point systems for quota hunts that typically offer better quality hunts than average public lands hunts for the area.

No doubt there are many, many more, but I am personally familiar with such point systems for quota hunts in Tennessee and Kentucky.
Not all those who wander are lost...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”