Dan Infalt's Approach to Hunting Scrapes

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

DaveT1963
500 Club

Re: Dan Infalt's Approach to Hunting Scrapes

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:55 am

I watched that a few days ago, last week i think. Lots of good info in this one. How many hours did I waste early on sitting over a scrape that was never going to be visited during daylight. This should be taught as a pre-requisite to deer hunting 101.
RiverBottoms
500 Club

Unread postby RiverBottoms » Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:52 am

If only I knew some of Dan's tips when I started bow hunting. Very good content!
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:27 pm

DaveT1963 wrote:I watched that a few days ago, last week i think. Lots of good info in this one. How many hours did I waste early on sitting over a scrape that was never going to be visited during daylight. This should be taught as a pre-requisite to deer hunting 101.

X2
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:27 pm

Thinking back, even the Wensels and Roger Rothaare, were actually focusing on scrapes fairly close to buck bedding. Hunting as close as Dan does to buck bedding wasn't ever in vogue. But they weren't setting up on too many field scrapes. If they were on scrapes in the woods and weren't seeing the animals they wanted. They often looked for scrapes closer to bedding.

I think alot of us old rut sign hunters were kinda like new bed/Beast hunters. We were just excited to see those 1st big scrapes. And didn't recognize the whole/big picture. We saw lots of young bucks. And got hung up on those scrapes well away from mature buck bedding.

Trail cameras weren't available. So we had less to go on as far as time of day/night a scrape actually got hit by mature bucks. And just enough guys, usually hunting low pressured areas, were still having good success. On scrapes well away from bedding. So we figured any scrape anywhere was a good bet.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:52 pm

stash59 wrote:Thinking back, even the Wensels and Roger Rothaare, were actually focusing on scrapes fairly close to buck bedding. Hunting as close as Dan does to buck bedding wasn't ever in vogue. But they weren't setting up on too many field scrapes. If they were on scrapes in the woods and weren't seeing the animals they wanted. They often looked for scrapes closer to bedding.

I think alot of us old rut sign hunters were kinda like new bed/Beast hunters. We were just excited to see those 1st big scrapes. And didn't recognize the whole/big picture. We saw lots of young bucks. And got hung up on those scrapes well away from mature buck bedding.

Trail cameras weren't available. So we had less to go on as far as time of day/night a scrape actually got hit by mature bucks. And just enough guys, usually hunting low pressured areas, were still having good success. On scrapes well away from bedding. So we figured any scrape anywhere was a good bet.

they're is nothing new under the sun.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”