Hunters Sign

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

NorthStar
500 Club

Hunters Sign

Unread postby NorthStar » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:32 pm

Other then the obvious signs of hunting pressure - Cars in the parking lot, trash, footprints, etc....what else does everyone look for?

The public swamp I hit tonight seemed to have very little sign of others hunting it. The public land signs to show the boundaries didn’t even have bullet holes in them!

“The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.”
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭12:27‬ ‭NIV‬‬
1STRANGEWILDERNESS
500 Club

Re: Hunters Sign

Unread postby 1STRANGEWILDERNESS » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:40 pm

Where I’m at.. bait piles, bare dirt from bait piles , garbage, buck bomb cans, pvc deer feeders on trees,
The usual flagging tape.. I pick out saw cut branches all the time then I know somebody’s been around.. unless the cuts old as heck
don’t be broadcasting when you should be tuning in
Randyflash

Unread postby Randyflash » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:49 pm

New reflective tacks on trees (those without rust), or reflective marking tape, freshly cut shooting lanes, or just watching for tire tracks or boot tracks headed off the road or two track.
218er
500 Club

Unread postby 218er » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:57 pm

I scouted a couple miles Saturday on a large tract of public. Smaller trees snapped about waist high is a dead give away someone attempted ti mark a trail. They may have done it one time but the sign lingers for years.
Persistence is undefeated.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:11 pm

Something that resembles a deer trail but is wider with no sign of hoof punctures or prints. Thinking flattened grass or leaves. Think about where you’re seeing it too. Is it somewhere where it’s easy for an upright Cro Magnon to get through? Then it’s probably not a deer trail.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:52 pm

Climbing stick marks on trees. Ran into this myself yesterday....exact tree I wanted to sit that I picked out last winter, and someone has already set up there this fall. Actually saw the same thing last year......the tree I killed my buck out of was hunted later on in the season by someone...they busted some branches for shooting I guess. Funny, because I didn't have any problems shooting out of that tree. :lol:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”