Your number one weather indicator?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Quest1001

Your number one weather indicator?

Unread postby Quest1001 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:35 am

It seems Jeff Sturgis is focused on temp change before entering his number one spot and Mark Drury is focused on Pressure before going for his best spot.

I’m just curious what you beasts look at?

I’m sure a lot of guys hunt when they can and pick a spot based on wind direction but I’m curious if there is other factors that play into you holding out on a specific spot?!

DaveT1963
500 Club

Re: Your number one weather indicator?

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:45 am

I feel it is hard to beat setting up on a primary scrape immediately following a rain in the last two weeks of Oct.
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:15 am

What Dave said. A hot scrape after rain could be a fun set up. Took my first bow buck doing just that. Other than that, I have seen rut activity go on during the nastiest weather. It happens a certain time of year for a reason. I do notice overcast days during the rut seem to have bucks moving a little better.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:22 am

Cold. Colder it is this time of year, the better daytime movement in my experience. I like a good brisk steady wind also. We typically get have a good steady West/North wind right after a front passes through. High pressure systems and the associated light and variable winds do a lot of swirling in hill country.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
treeroot
500 Club

Unread postby treeroot » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:23 am

My rut related spots are based on what I see for rut activity, then it's a playing the wind game.

My number one weather tactic for trying to catch a crushing buck is based on my own broken body. Seems like when my knees throb is when I need to make the leap of faith. Usually indicating a sharp change in weather, usually a cold damp spell beginning or ending. My knees tell me a day in advance of it coming regardless of the weather man. Those are the days I usually see deer in general up moving more. Bucks getting up and moving earlier, or coming back to bed later.
Quest1001

Unread postby Quest1001 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:26 am

DaveT1963 wrote:I feel it is hard to beat setting up on a primary scrape immediately following a rain in the last two weeks of Oct.

I keep hearing more and more about this. I’m excited to get out this weekend and try find some scrapes outside of known bedding areas!
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:30 am

Quest1001 wrote:
DaveT1963 wrote:I feel it is hard to beat setting up on a primary scrape immediately following a rain in the last two weeks of Oct.

I keep hearing more and more about this. I’m excited to get out this weekend and try find some scrapes outside of known bedding areas!

Dan did a recent podcast - if I remember right he killed his two biggest bucks using this strategy. He does a great job talking location (i.e. primary scrape) of scrape. Not all scrapes are created equal, when you find one deep into buck bedding areas these are golden after a rain fall right up unto the rut kicks into overdrive. Provided humans don't screw them up. I also want to note these are not easily found, it takes a lot of scouting to find a true buck bedding area primary scrape IME. Most people will ruin them by going in at first chance. Waiting for a rain and getting in there cleanly right after a rain is the best odds IMO.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”