High winds hunting

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Hawkeyebowhunter

High winds hunting

Unread postby Hawkeyebowhunter » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:37 am

What do you do?

On my grandpa's farm, I don't recall if i've ever seen a deer walking around when the wind is sustained more than 12-15 mph.

Do they just not move at all when the wind is howling?

Uncle Lou

Re: High winds hunting

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:16 am

I think high winds lets you be more aggressive. I remember sitting in stand one night about 15-20 yrs ago thinking nothing will be moving in this wind. Had a good bodied wide six move in on me while I was not expecting it. I hit it in the brisket. Another time about 15+ years ago I left in a blizzard to go plow snow. As I was leaving I told myself at least I wont have to watch for deer on my way to town. Had a large group of deer heading to a crop field come out of a swamp and I bumped the last one, tipped it right over with the plow. I had it shut down enough that I just tipped that last one over, and it got back up and ran off.

I don't know, kinda kicking myself the last two evenings that I did not get out with some 15+ mph winds.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:23 am

Some of the biggest bucks I saw over the years were on the windiest days. Not sure why but wondering if they just feel that uneasy when things are constantly moving and winds are swirling so they feel safer on their feet or if the old bucks just feel more at ease knowing less hunters will be out on those days? Either way I learned quickly to not let any winds deter me from hunting. The only wind I hate is light and variable. Those suck.
802bowhunter

Unread postby 802bowhunter » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:35 am

Ive found on,windy days they move jist as much just in different spots.
Instead of feilds they will move in pines cedars evergreens hit oaks ect.
Thick cover in wind they move
"The hunting is great, the killing is terrible."
Northern new england.
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:57 am

I have seen some of the best movement on very winds days 20 to 30 mph plus. Just checked a cam had a bachelor group of big bucks on the windiest day yet of this season 530 pm. I wait in particular for very windy days to get in real tight to some bedding areas that are otherwise almost inaccessible.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
Hawkeyebowhunter

Unread postby Hawkeyebowhunter » Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:18 pm

Only ever tried grandpas place, mainly hardwoods with some thick spots but not a ton of understory. Maybe I need to check other spots!
Jdw
500 Club

Unread postby Jdw » Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:30 pm

brancher147 wrote:I have seen some of the best movement on very winds days 20 to 30 mph plus. Just checked a cam had a bachelor group of big bucks on the windiest day yet of this season 530 pm. I wait in particular for very windy days to get in real tight to some bedding areas that are otherwise almost inaccessible.

X2 I look forward to windy days to hunt places I can not normally get in to without spooking deer.
swwave24

Unread postby swwave24 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:37 pm

I was out shining last night. High winds in the area, all the does and immature bucks were bedded. Decent and mature bucks were on there feet. Kind of interesting.

I’ve seen some good movement in high wind conditions this year, seems they put there guard down, this is based of my observations.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:08 pm

I still hunt thick areas during the rut on windy days. That or I'm getting into thick draws and sitting tight.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:51 pm

I remember Stan saying that he loved hunting during the rut on windy days.
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:53 pm

Dewey wrote:Some of the biggest bucks I saw over the years were on the windiest days. Not sure why but wondering if they just feel that uneasy when things are constantly moving and winds are swirling so they feel safer on their feet or if the old bucks just feel more at ease knowing less hunters will be out on those days? Either way I learned quickly to not let any winds deter me from hunting. The only wind I hate is light and variable. Those suck.

x2. Lots of great encounters in 15-30mph winds. Lots of heartbreakers in light and variable.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:22 pm

I saw the biggest buck on a particular hunting area during 30 mph gusts. He was out walking the same time as he should have been. Thought I was crazy to be on stand, now I like super windy days.
1STRANGEWILDERNESS
500 Club

Unread postby 1STRANGEWILDERNESS » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:39 pm

When I hunted hardwoods and farm country I did not like high winds. Been in the bigwoods a few years now and I don’t mind them anymore. Last night was 20 mph and I did see A ton of deer. They were moving from being held down by the rain the last day and a half.. more so than the wind but they didn’t let the wind stop them from heading for food.
don’t be broadcasting when you should be tuning in
Hawkeyebowhunter

Unread postby Hawkeyebowhunter » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:54 am

Seems I need to venture off of grandpa's property and try out some different locations.

His place is a great rut cruising property with river front and ridgelines here in Central Iowa.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”