Weather formula

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Deltaninja

Weather formula

Unread postby Deltaninja » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:53 am

What do y’all think about Jeff Sturgis weather formula? Wonder what weather program he is using?

Bowfisher

Re: Weather formula

Unread postby Bowfisher » Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:32 am

In my opinion jeff's weather tactics are pretty much spot on, but also pretty simple. I think some people (including me) really overthink it sometimes. The weather related factors that jeff talks about, I agree with. I really liked his view on deer after large rain or snow fronts moving in relation to the stress imposed on them by the front. I think Jeff is somewhat lacking in the bedding department of mature bucks, but he knows how to read weather patterns and take advantage of them.
Deltaninja

Unread postby Deltaninja » Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:37 am

I agree! I really like the concepts of picking best days to hunt weather related. The point system gets a little technical. I’m lucky to have a job that has some freedom so picking best days to hunt eliminates a lot of wasting time out of the office on low likelihood days. I think if we could combine the weather tactics with bedding tactics could prove dangerous for mature bucks. I wish there was a video explains his point system and how he calculates it based off weather maps
fr0sty

Unread postby fr0sty » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:02 am

In his youtube videos he mentions the AccuWeather app (very accurate wind forecasting according to Jeff) and the desktop version of weather undergrounds 10 day forecast.

Deltaninja wrote:What do y’all think about Jeff Sturgis weather formula? Wonder what weather program he is using?
Bowfisher

Unread postby Bowfisher » Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:18 am

Yes, wunderground desktop version is a great visual tool. You can visually see the forecasted changes in temp, pressure, wind, precipitation, etc. Another great visual tool is vandusky.com

The best sits of my life were close to bedding (buck or doe depending on time of year), on fresh sign, and during awesome weather conditions. I would venture to say when the stars truly align like that I have a 50% chance of a shot opportunity which is ridiculously high odds.

We talk and talk and talk about bedding which is how we put ourselves in the game. Then you have to narrow it down to the highest percentage spot near bedding, then if you can hunt that spot during the right time of year, coupled with the highest percentage day of weather...

To me it comes down to scouting and finding the spot, then find the TREE you need to be in. Once you find that, determine the best time of year, and exactly what weather conditions you need. Build a database of spots like this, and hunt them accordingly, and kill bucks.
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:44 am

fr0sty wrote:In his youtube videos he mentions the AccuWeather app (very accurate wind forecasting according to Jeff) and the desktop version of weather undergrounds 10 day forecast.

Deltaninja wrote:What do y’all think about Jeff Sturgis weather formula? Wonder what weather program he is using?

Really? Not sure if I would trust accuweather. All those apps derive their data from the national weather service website. However, the NWS site isn’t very user friendly to the average joe. Which I hope will change soon. 10 day forecasting is kinda silly too. Anything beyond 72 hours in weather forecasting is basically looking into a crystal ball.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
Bowfisher

Unread postby Bowfisher » Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:59 am

Crazinamatese wrote:
fr0sty wrote:In his youtube videos he mentions the AccuWeather app (very accurate wind forecasting according to Jeff) and the desktop version of weather undergrounds 10 day forecast.

Really? Not sure if I would trust accuweather. All those apps derive their data from the national weather service website. However, the NWS site isn’t very user friendly to the average joe. Which I hope will change soon. 10 day forecasting is kinda silly too. Anything beyond 72 hours in weather forecasting is basically looking into a crystal ball.

I actually disagree with this to a point. Exact weather details beyone that 48-72 hour range is a complete crap shoot yes. BUT the major major weather fronts that correlate with the best deer movement, can easily be seen 5-10 days out. It my be forecasted a 22 degree drop, then change to a 16 degree drop, then back to a 19 degree drop.. but the fact of the matter is they are visible well in advance.

So what I do is a plan to hunt that day or the next day just depending, make work arrangements in advance or whatever, then once we get within that 48 hour window, then I really start narrowing down on specific weather factors, and determine where I will hunt based on those.
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:42 am

Bowfisher wrote:
Crazinamatese wrote:

I actually disagree with this to a point. Exact weather details beyone that 48-72 hour range is a complete crap shoot yes. BUT the major major weather fronts that correlate with the best deer movement, can easily be seen 5-10 days out. It my be forecasted a 22 degree drop, then change to a 16 degree drop, then back to a 19 degree drop.. but the fact of the matter is they are visible well in advance.

So what I do is a plan to hunt that day or the next day just depending, make work arrangements in advance or whatever, then once we get within that 48 hour window, then I really start narrowing down on specific weather factors, and determine where I will hunt based on those.

I like the way you think and I think you are planning around the weather perfectly. I guess you are right in a way that if a strong Alberta Clipper is bound to pass through the region it can be very obvious beyond that 72 hour window. I guess I tend to focus too much on other features and finer details in forecasting which are usually on a mesoscale or microscale level which doesn’t usually pertain to late October/early November Cold fronts. I need to remember that.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”