Narrow draw crossings

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BigRed

Narrow draw crossings

Unread postby BigRed » Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:48 am

There is a lot of talk talk a lot about hunting funnels in hill country, and the tops of steep draws being a favorite. However on pressured public, I have had little success with bucks even 2.5 plus walking through these tight funnels so I stopped all together. I was scouting about a month ago and found a less used crossing with a faint trail probably 200 yds down the draw from the top toward the bottom3rd, but not at the very bottom. To coincide with this crossing there are also benches on both ridges that starts basically here and wraps around both ridges on either side of said draw. Also, there are knobs on both ridges that would seem to be good for buck and or doe bedding. So all the ingredients look to be in place. I remembered JoeR talking about this exact setup and how mature bucks seemed to frequent these lower crossings more than the top when cruising during the rut. Fast forward to yesterday. I went back w my dad to check it out and business has seemed to pick up.There was a large fresh scrape near the crossing and several fresh rubs. I left a camera there to let it soak until we go back to hunt. For reference sake, the draw runs east/west. The wind was calm yesterday, so it was pretty much just thermal activity based off milkweed. So my question is this. I know hunting low is tricky with swirling winds, but does anyone have experience with this kind of setup and what wind would be best to hunt it on? The probability of getting busted seems high, but based off of sign near the crossing and large fresh and historical rubs on the south ridge i have previously walked seems like a gamble that may be worth taking at least once. Also for reference, access has to be from the top.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”