Newb, Encounter with big bucks, now what?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

spl8tk

Newb, Encounter with big bucks, now what?

Unread postby spl8tk » Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:09 am

Hi all,

Just joined after watching and listening to just about all I could on the interwebs. I am a brand new hunter at 45 years old. This is my first full season, but I've killed two does. Meat in the freezer, but I would like to score a decent buck.

I am looking for advice on what I did - right or wrong (I can take criticism) - with a recent encounter with a pair of decent bucks. I was sitting on a piece of public land that I really like. After scouting for the entire day, acres and acres, the only place I found anything even resembling "red hot" sign was in a small 6-8 acre area that sits nestled between two homes' backyards and a parking area. On the other side is a trail that leads into the rest of the public hunting area and on the fourth side is a fallow dove field. So this area of 6-8 acres is just kind of tucked away on this little (small) hilly section. In one area, the area I decided to sit, there was about 10 fresh rubs, 5 fresh scrapes and what appeared to be good bedding: two big rounded out areas with fresh scat very close by. My thinking was that the bucks were bedding low on this ridge during certain winds, and high over the ridge top in a bottom separating the homes backyards and the trail area. I brushed out a ground blind 90 minutes before first lite and sat with my bow. Anyhow, about 8:45 a decent 8 point, probably 2 year old comes walking over the top of the hill (mind you these are not big hills). He came out from a thick area covered in briar thickets, and he was zig zagging down the south east side of the ridge (there was an east wind). He was clearly zig zagging toward me; this was the first buck I had seen in the woods while hunting. Then about 10, maybe 12 yards behind him, out of the same briar thicket I see a rack that was yuge. I immediately saw five upward tines on one side not including the brow tines, then he followed the same path, zig zagging down toward me and I could see this was a mature deer. His neck was thick and his belly was sagging, etc, etc. My heart was racing. But, I was focused on that 8 point walking into bow range. He got to about 12 yards, sitting behind a thick tangle that I was using for cover. 3, maybe 5 more steps and I would have put an arrow right behind his shoulder. Instead he made eye contact with me for what seemed like a lifetime, then turned away from me, took two trotting steps, tail went up, and he left. The bigger old buck, didn't move fast, but just altered his course to follow the direction of the lead buck. I think this area is either a buck bedding area where they can see hunters walk in (as I've heard Dan mention on podcasts, etc), maybe go get some corn from the neighbors yard at night, and generally feel pretty good about life. However, it might also be a doe bedding area; but seems early for chasing, rutting around my area. This was about 2 weeks ago.

I went back and tried a tree stand to get a better vantage point, but they didn't show. Is this spot blown now, until maybe next year? Is it worth heading back and trying to get one of these bucks? There isn't really a great spot to glass the area, because it;s REALLY grown up around the perimeter, as if nature has placed a briar wall around the area. I should also mention that the little ridge is clearish, with really high grasses and browse, with predominantly pines on one side and hard woods on the other. I guess I am just looking for some advice on how to proceed as a new hunter.

Thanks in advance for any help.

<DK>
500 Club

Re: Newb, Encounter with big bucks, now what?

Unread postby <DK> » Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:37 am

Welcome

First off congrats on your exp, those feelings are not replaceable!

If they didnt smell you then I wouldnt say its burnt. Especially if the big one did not bust you. Personally, id wait let them get a little more rutty before heading back in to try catch them w their guard down. I like to wait 10-14 days after getting busted to try and attack again. There isnt really a right or wrong answer imo. Id setup a few yards away in a diff spot, closer to bedding. Dont wait too long like Mid Nov - unless there are does near by, then bucks could bed there to keep an eye on them during the rut.

When you went back did you hunt it on the same wind direction as the first time? Have you checked surrounding area for more sign or possible bedding on a map? They could have been there the second time you hunted but went another direction.

Best thing any hunter can do is trust your gut and make a move. The main thing is ground scent awareness.
spl8tk

Re: Newb, Encounter with big bucks, now what?

Unread postby spl8tk » Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:48 am

<DK> wrote:Welcome

Thanks. Glad to be here and reading a lot of threads, learning away.

When you went back did you hunt it on the same wind direction as the first time? Have you checked surrounding area for more sign or possible bedding on a map? They could have been there the second time you hunted but went another direction.

Best thing any hunter can do is trust your gut and make a move. The main thing is ground scent awareness.

Yes, when I went back wind was the same. And I made sure to approach so that wind would not blow my scent into the area. I checked constantly as well. I have checked the rest of the 6-8 acre area and while I didn't see any bedding in that area, I have seen (1) a good ridgeline trail and (2) fresh sign, scrapes/rubs/scat along this trail. Additionally, I've found several older rubs maybe from last year, maybe the year before that were pretty big. The area I am hunting connects to a series of funnels that form an "L" with one side of the L alongside the highway and the other side of the L on a river bank. The L along the highway was thick, but didn't look like there was any bedding in there; nor did the L along the river. In fact, the L along the river looked like wide open wooded area. Saw one old rub. I need to get back and scout right up on the river, but there aren't any oxbows or anything like that that would appear to be a good spot to bed and the river in this area is fast current, deep water. I have to be honest with myself and only know that info from maps and really do need to get down there and get some water in my boots.

Thanks

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”