Exercise patience or be aggressive?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

ChasingFLATS86

Exercise patience or be aggressive?

Unread postby ChasingFLATS86 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:55 am

I spent yesterday morning scouting some areas from a distance. I found fresh scrapes and rubs leading toward a point. There are small islands with oak/aspen mix surrounding the point. I setup on that point last night and had a very fun hunt. I didn't push down the point as far as I would have liked due to an inconsistent wind while setting up, it became more consistent as the night went on. I seen 9 deer total 1 buck in particular got my heart racing. The wind was blowing from the aspens to the oaks and slightly to the top left corner of the picture. 4 of the deer I seen I know came from the area near the islands at the top of the picture 2 of them were small bucks, 1 was a doe, the other came in just after quitting time and all I could see was a silhouette. The other deer came from the aspens to the oaks but I'm not sure of the exact location they originally came from. I know for sure that 3 of the deer cut my access trail or ended up down wind of me and had negative reactions. The large buck I seen walked the red line in the picture (top to bottom of the point) I'm not sure where he came from or went after I lost sight of him, where the red line starts in the middle of the point is were I first seen him. He never caught my sent or cut my access trail unless it was after dark or this morning. He was 50 to 60 yards from me the whole time I seen him. In hind sight if I would have pushed into where I wanted to I would of had a shot but then again he may have caught my sent depending on were he was bedded. It is raining today with 1-2 inches expected with high winds that will blow from top to bottom of the picture. I will not have the same wind as last night for at least 4 or 5 days it looks like. My question is do I move in and sit tonight or wait for the same conditions? Should I set up assuming he will do the same thing as last night? This is public land with fairly high pressure, I don't think there will be anyone out there today due to the weather but there is a good chance people will be out when I have the same conditions as last night. Usually I would sit a spot then move on believing I burned it up, but I believe this spot is worth another sit seeing how he didn't see or smell me that I know of. The wind and rain today will allow me to get further down the point and closer to where I seen him. Hopefully this all makes sense I'm trying to be fairly vague in my descriptions due to it being public. Also I seen the first deer at 4:30pm then seen the buck I'm after at 5pm then just about every 30 min after that I seen deer sunset was around 6:20pm . It was also a moon underfoot near legal shooting light which I do not have tonight. Thanks in advance for any input.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

God gave us 2 ears and 1 mouth. That means we should listen twice as much as we talk.
Rich M
500 Club

Re: Exercise patience or be aggressive?

Unread postby Rich M » Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:24 am

You have to make that call - if I thought the buck was bedding there today and had a similar wind, I'd do it.

Don't worry about the moon - the deer came thru cause it was time to get going for a night of feeding. Usually, bucks bed all day and get up a little before dark.
ChasingFLATS86

Unread postby ChasingFLATS86 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:31 pm

Well I did not go back yesterday due to the heavy rains. I went back today and ended up having a pretty cool hunt where I actually got to see a big 8 in his bed throughout the day. I got some good footage too. He got up at 5:05 and headed my way but I never seen him after about 5:15. He was bedded on the tip of one of the small island about 150 yards off the point.
God gave us 2 ears and 1 mouth. That means we should listen twice as much as we talk.
ChasingFLATS86

Unread postby ChasingFLATS86 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:15 pm

https://youtu.be/qKx-KLw8JK0
This is him getting up and leaving his bed.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:26 pm

That's a great hunt. Glad you got to see him. More fuel to the fire!
ChasingFLATS86

Unread postby ChasingFLATS86 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:52 pm

Thanks Rich! I appreciate your input. The next chance I get I'm going to head out and move in closer to the bed.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”