rubs and scrapes, what to do?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

riceg53

rubs and scrapes, what to do?

Unread postby riceg53 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:40 am

So I just scouted yesterday for about 4 hours in the pouring rain and I must say I have never seen so many rubs and scrapes as I have this year. While this is a good sign I cant seem to figure out how to go about setting up on it. When you guys find these types of signs how do you relate them to bedding/feeding pattern and what are you guys going to do with your set up taking these into account?

Rich M
500 Club

Re: rubs and scrapes, what to do?

Unread postby Rich M » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:47 am

Are they in a staging area or night time sign?
riceg53

Unread postby riceg53 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:24 am

Rich M wrote:Are they in a staging area or night time sign?

I don’t really know what a staging area is, care to explain?
ChasingFLATS86

Unread postby ChasingFLATS86 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:16 am

Are the scraps and rubs near bedding? In my area if they are on a walking trail or say the are on an oak flat nowhere near bedding they most likely are night time sign. If they are close to bedding then they would be worth a sit. I found some rubs and scrapes on a oak flat 200-300 yards from where I thought there would be some deer bedded yesterday morning. I moved in farther down the point finding more scrapes along the way and set up as close as possible to what I thought would be bedding. I seen 9 deer in total and 3 bucks. The 1 buck that looked like he was coming to the scrape and and rubs I was sitting near came in down wind farther than I had anticipated and definitely knew something was up. I had 1 doe walk right through the scrapes but never stopped or seemed like she cared the rest of the deer were at least 50 yards from where I was sitting. If I would have set up on the scrapes I first found I don't think I would have ever seen the any of the deer I seen last night.
God gave us 2 ears and 1 mouth. That means we should listen twice as much as we talk.
riceg53

Unread postby riceg53 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:41 am

ChasingFLATS86 wrote:Are the scraps and rubs near bedding? In my area if they are on a walking trail or say the are on an oak flat nowhere near bedding they most likely are night time sign. If they are close to bedding then they would be worth a sit. I found some rubs and scrapes on a oak flat 200-300 yards from where I thought there would be some deer bedded yesterday morning. I moved in farther down the point finding more scrapes along the way and set up as close as possible to what I thought would be bedding. I seen 9 deer in total and 3 bucks. The 1 buck that looked like he was coming to the scrape and and rubs I was sitting near came in down wind farther than I had anticipated and definitely knew something was up. I had 1 doe walk right through the scrapes but never stopped or seemed like she cared the rest of the deer were at least 50 yards from where I was sitting. If I would have set up on the scrapes I first found I don't think I would have ever seen the any of the deer I seen last night.

I believe they are close to bedding yes. They’re definitely by the doe bedding because I walked the deer trails and found a bunch of doe beds matted down. The rubs seem to be where the edge of the cedars sort of meet thick bushy that would be very difficult for me to walk through, also very difficult to get a stand in lol
ChasingFLATS86

Unread postby ChasingFLATS86 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:47 am

Typical in my experience the bucks will either come in or circle downwind of the scrapes. If the scrapes a fresh (dirt tossed up on the leaves, dirt still wet , no leaves in them) I'd sit it and see what happens. Worst case scenario nothing shows and you move on. Either way it's a learning experience
God gave us 2 ears and 1 mouth. That means we should listen twice as much as we talk.
riceg53

Unread postby riceg53 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:03 am

also wondering if any of you have ever had any luck with mock scrapes? I made one yesterday next to what I believe could be an exit trail from bedding and put a camera in front of it so going to see if anything actually hits it within the next week or 2

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”