Wish I was average Hunter again...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

SwampCritter

Re: Wish I was average Hunter again...

Unread postby SwampCritter » Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:59 am

My problem is and always has been I'm too hard on myself and hold myself at much too high of a standard,...

You go up there in the woods ..... and I'll go down to the swamp... I'll get that buck.. :violin: :whistle:
SwampCritter

Unread postby SwampCritter » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:03 am

I think I figured it out pictures a little out of date I've added to to the wall since then
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
You go up there in the woods ..... and I'll go down to the swamp... I'll get that buck.. :violin: :whistle:
SwampCritter

Unread postby SwampCritter » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:05 am

My 4.5 old bully from last season
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:21 am

That’s a great looking wall!
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
briar
500 Club

Unread postby briar » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:23 am

Chuck B wrote:
briar wrote:I'm in the same boat OP. I'm sure there are bigger bucks around, but I just wasn't willing to travel to find them and I accepted that. 3 years ago my family suddenly couldn't stomach deer meat...so there went that motivation.

I took up the recurve and I still climb trees and sit, but I don't really think I'm hunting, just haven't gotten to the point I'm ready to all out quit.

I guess I just lost the facination with deer.

Sounds like you still have a fascination with deer, or you wouldn't be on this forum. Perhaps you just hit a lull and need something to really spark you again. Perhaps find someone to mentor hunting, something along those lines? I know you didn't ask for anyone's opinion, I just couldn't help myself. :D

I appreciate the response Chuck. I do like seeing what is going on with the fellas on here, it's the fellowship I miss from hunting when I was younger. We just hunted together, nobody cared about my spot and my buck...we just went. Nobody even has time to meet up anymore, me included. Tried with the wife, but she quit, my buddies are busy, my brother never had interest and dad is aging out. If I get one hunt a year with a friend I'm lucky. I guess I go just because I don't wanna regret missing out on it.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:53 am

You live a few hours from the best deer hunting on planet earth. I would say, just go ahead and hunt there if you want to shoot big antlers.

Also. 110” 9 point is pretty much buck of a lifetime in my neck of the woods.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Mschmeiske
500 Club
Facebook: Www.facebook.com/mschmeiske

Unread postby Mschmeiske » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:02 am

I wish I had your problem haha. Might be time to start traveling!! Best of luck in finding something you’re happy with man!
Eddiegomes83
500 Club

Unread postby Eddiegomes83 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:10 am

PK_ wrote:You live a few hours from the best deer hunting on planet earth. I would say, just go ahead and hunt there if you want to shoot big antlers.

Also. 110” 9 point is pretty much buck of a lifetime in my neck of the woods.

I would love a 110 :L:
"Am I the Only One" - Aaron Lewis

EGOutdoors youtube: https://youtube.com/channel/UClk54pzxS6MsnSTCOtTvKJg
bigredneck61088

Unread postby bigredneck61088 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:09 am

Change it up, try a trad bow, ghillie on the ground, or something else to make it new again!
Monster32

Unread postby Monster32 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:12 am

Traveling is prob the best option. I go to Ohio once a year for bow season just to get a chance at a bigger than 130” buck. Hasn’t happen yet and last year I let 3 bucks walk that I would have taken up in Michigan. The area I hunt in Michigan just hasn’t shown me bigger deer or at least I haven’t seen them. I always have an optimistic view that I might find a bigger buck to shoot but usually hold out and harvest a doe. It’s hard lol. A lot of the bucks I see at the butcher shop are ones I’d let pass but are a trophy to someone else and that’s respected. In short, I relate, my plan is to let the small ones walk, take a doe if it comes down to the end, keep looking, and travel within my budget
SwampCritter

Unread postby SwampCritter » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:11 pm

mheichelbech wrote:That’s a great looking wall!

Thank you very much..
SwampCritter

Unread postby SwampCritter » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:13 pm

bigredneck61088 wrote:Change it up, try a trad bow, ghillie on the ground, or something else to make it new again!

I have considered trad I've always loved my ghillie suit!!
bigredneck61088

Unread postby bigredneck61088 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:36 pm

SwampCritter wrote:
bigredneck61088 wrote:Change it up, try a trad bow, ghillie on the ground, or something else to make it new again!

I have considered trad I've always loved my ghillie suit!!

There you go! Go ground hunt that guy with a recurve and I bet you won’t be passing him and it might be a bigger accomplishment than bigger bucks, esp if nothing else is around
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:41 pm

Sounds like you need to either travel for better opportunities or just move to a more trophy rich area of the country to keep the challenge going for you. The best part about hunting is we can always find a way to make it challenging for ourselves. There is no limit to what we can learn and grow from. The opportunities out there are endless. You just have to go after them.
gsquared23

Unread postby gsquared23 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:06 pm

I would move. Or stop comparing what your state has to offer versus other states. I can only kill what’s around, so I dont compare myself to what they’re laying down in Iowa this year.
Bowhunting is not for the faint of heart. But fortune favors the bowed.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”