Scrapes with No Licking Branch

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Grasshopper

Re: Scrapes with No Licking Branch

Unread postby Grasshopper » Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:20 am

I watched a horned up buck that was tending a doe make a scrape then stand on his hind legs and hop trying to reach a branch for a licking branch. I guess he didn't think things through all of the way. I was laughing hysterically

stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:12 am

Grasshopper wrote:I watched a horned up buck that was tending a doe make a scrape then stand on his hind legs and hop trying to reach a branch for a licking branch. I guess he didn't think things through all of the way. I was laughing hysterically

That's actually a common occurence. Bucks will rise on their hind legs to work higher licking branches.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:13 am

stash59 wrote:
Grasshopper wrote:I watched a horned up buck that was tending a doe make a scrape then stand on his hind legs and hop trying to reach a branch for a licking branch. I guess he didn't think things through all of the way. I was laughing hysterically

That's actually a common occurence. Bucks will rise on their hind legs to work higher licking branches.

so will does
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:15 am

True licking branches are like the bar in the old sitcom Cheers - everyone likes to show up from time to time to catch up and socialize. Scrapes just appear under them because a buck is hoping to get lucky as the night (rut) progresses and he knows the ladies will eventually be by.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:28 am

stash59 wrote:

I wish I had it on film but driving thru WV once during the rut I saw the most beautiful buck in the world doing this. He was about 140”-145” perfect 10 point and had an incredible piebald hide. I thought I was dreaming when I saw it. Will never forget it.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
whi52873

Unread postby whi52873 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:34 am

Could it be from deer raking leaves out of the way to find acorns under the leaves? Just thought it could be a possibility.....

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”