Scrapes with No Licking Branch

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Trout
500 Club

Scrapes with No Licking Branch

Unread postby Trout » Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:30 pm

Ran into a small scrape today that didnt have a licking Branch above or anywhere near it. I've seen these before and was curious if anyone knew what the story is on them? Thanks

20191019_145558.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mauser06
500 Club

Re: Scrapes with No Licking Branch

Unread postby mauser06 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:39 pm

Pic is sideways and hard to judge size.....looks small based on the leaves. Could it been a turkey scratching?

Not saying deer won't scrape without a licking branch....but I can't recall ever seeing it.

Curious to hear from others.
Trout
500 Club

Unread postby Trout » Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:00 pm

mauser06 wrote:Pic is sideways and hard to judge size.....looks small based on the leaves. Could it been a turkey scratching?

Not saying deer won't scrape without a licking branch....but I can't recall ever seeing it.

Curious to hear from others.

Yeah, not sure why its sideways. Not from turkeys, I know what those look like, just deer tracks in it. This one was towards the end of a finger ridge, right on a doe runway. I have seen these before but never thought much about them or took the time to pay attention to the terrain they were on.
hunter10
500 Club

Unread postby hunter10 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:35 pm

I tend to disregard them without licking branches. Who’s to say that buck didn’t just come through at some point fired up and kicked the group up and keep on moving. Chances of him coming back to it as a pinpoint spot is minimal compared to a scrape with licking branch used by many deer
Trout
500 Club

Unread postby Trout » Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:45 pm

hunter10 wrote:I tend to disregard them without licking branches. Who’s to say that buck didn’t just come through at some point fired up and kicked the group up and keep on moving. Chances of him coming back to it as a pinpoint spot is minimal compared to a scrape with licking branch used by many deer

I was thinking the same thing. I kinda want to run back there tomorrow before my evening hunt and throw a trail cam up just to see what I see.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:09 pm

IMO that's just a buck walking and randomly taking out some frustrations, but I could be wrong.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
purebowhunting
500 Club

Unread postby purebowhunting » Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:11 pm

I see them from time to time and never see them used twice, opened up again. My theory is an excited buck, maybe a doe peed there he kicked open the ground then realized no branch above, just a theory. I wouldn't waste much time with it.
JRM KY

Unread postby JRM KY » Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:27 am

If I find these on the downwind side of and actual scrape line or primary scrape I pay a little more attention to them. Bucks here under pressure will check them from 20 to 40 yards away. I find these along with rubs that aren’t aggressively hit on the trails they use to do so.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:39 am

I've watched bucks repeatedly make these type of scrapes while following what appeared to be an almost hot doe. Also some small bucks make them. It's kinda like they don't know how to do things "right". Seen vids of 2 equal bucks making them as they approached each other. To show dominance.

Unless they're in a travel corridor near bedding. They aren't much use to a hunter.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:53 am

I have seen bucks do it where they cut another bucks trail (I saw the first buck go by). Also seen them do it and then rub urinate.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:13 pm

I found 8 in a line the other day 2 had branches.

Byfffdf1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
SamPotter
500 Club

Unread postby SamPotter » Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:08 pm

Like others have said- I’ve witnessed bucks make scrapes like this when they are agitated. For me it’s been when they are responding to grunts and snort wheezes. They are pawing like a bull does.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:22 pm

I've found them, seen bucks make them - to me they provide some data but are pretty worthless for hunting
Ishi Spirit

Unread postby Ishi Spirit » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:36 pm

muddy wrote:IMO that's just a buck walking and randomly taking out some frustrations, but I could be wrong.

Good answer! Over the years I’ve seen bucks do this a lot they just stop and dig up the ground and move on. I’ve always called them frustration scrapes.
The Spirit Lives On
Thesouthpaw
500 Club

Unread postby Thesouthpaw » Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:46 am

Iv'e seen a number of them, and have seen bucks make them. Seems like they typically just do it on a whim. No real reason for it that I have seen.
Anything worth doing, is worth over doing.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”