Meat Bucks

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

HunterBob
500 Club

Meat Bucks

Unread postby HunterBob » Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:43 am

So I passed a year and a half year old buck yesterday on public land and after my buddy berated me for this (if it's brown it's down mentality) it got me to thinking.

On public land is there really a reason to not shoot a smaller buck when you have the chance? Especially because I only bowhunt and there are no areas here next to agriculture, getting onto deer at all is tough.

I think I have seen too many shows that discourage this where I would feel guilty for taking a small buck for the meat. However, since I am not hunting for horns and my freezer is getting low on meat, I am wondering why pass a nice opportunity to fill it up? We get two tags here, so I could always save one for a mature buck.

Would love the thought of others on this.

stash59

Re: Meat Bucks

Unread postby stash59 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:51 am

It's your call, and only your call. Do whatever makes "you" happy. Don't let anyone, on either side of the spectrum. Influence your own personal goal/s!!!
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
1STRANGEWILDERNESS
500 Club

Unread postby 1STRANGEWILDERNESS » Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:01 am

My personal thought is if I’m not hunting for horns then why not shoot a skinhead or two for meat.
Maybe even three.. I feel that most bucks I pass die but if a few live that’s a few running around a yr or two down the road that I will have great fun pursuing or even somebody else may get to reap that reward.

You should do what you want. Don’t let anybody make you feel guilty about shooting that deer but also don’t let anybody make you feel guilty about NOT shooting it.

Good luck out there
don’t be broadcasting when you should be tuning in
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:34 am

If I'm not putting him on the wall I'm not shooting him, but that's because I have loads of opportunities at does. If someone wants to shoot a small buck, for the meat, on their own stomping grounds I'll be the 1st to offer congrats. You paid for the tag, put it on whatever the heck you want. Good luck.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
briar
500 Club

Unread postby briar » Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:41 am

About 8 years ago I shot a little basket 8 and when it came time to take a photo or 2 I didn't like how those photos made me feel. That was it for me. When I see a buck now I need to know I am going to be proud of that deer to shoot at it.

I guess it helps I don't like deer meat.
thwack16
500 Club

Unread postby thwack16 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:47 am

No ones opinion matters but your own. If he’s legal, and you’d be happy with shooting him, then do so.

There are advantages to not shooting. Chance of killing him in the future as a “better” buck. Also, still have your buck tags for this season.

There are disadvantages as well. Especially if you’re a newer hunter with not many under your belt.

A lot of different experience levels here. Check the beast buck lineup. Bet there’s a deer posted smaller than the one you passed.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:04 am

I think you answered your own question. I have shot many meat bucks, and passed a few as well. It matters what mood I am in. Good luck and post him up if you take one, I will also offer congrats on anything you want to do.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
RookieBeast2019

Unread postby RookieBeast2019 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:13 am

My rule is. You do you.

We all have different goals and abilities and desires.
mipubbucks24
500 Club

Unread postby mipubbucks24 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:25 am

If the only purpose of hunting is to put big racks on the wall, then we have lost focus on what hunting is really about, and it will eventually go away. As long as recorded human history we hunted to put meat on the table, there is no better reason to be in the woods, then to provide table fare for you or your family.

Every area is different and I am in no way knocking guys in big buck states or that are real trophy hunters. Not everyone has that opportunity, I believe the Public land challenge proved that well. If you would be happy with a 1.5 buck, and it puts meat on the table then you have absolutely nothing to be be ashamed of and in fact you should be celebrated.

The big buck killing culture that TV has driven over the last 25 years has done nothing to help recruit more hunters. It sets unattainable goals that most people can’t live up to and they will eventually stop hunting. That is why I love THP so much, while they are pursuing big bucks, it’s never about the inches, it’s about the experience, the opportunity, the outdoors, the meat, etc etc.

I hunt first and foremost for meat, yes I want to kill a big buck and strive for that every year, but if the freezer is empty and I have a chance at a young buck I will take it. I have 3 kids and a wife to feed we eat venison year around. I will never apologize to anyone for that.

It’s a personal decision, each person has to decide what their goal is and what they want out of hunting, but don’t ever feel bad about providing meat for the table.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:36 am

I’d rather shoot a small buck than a doe but then again I’d rather have the higher population levels to shoot a doe. Do more damage shooting a big doe than a spike or fork horn.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Bowhuntercoop
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhuntercoop » Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:47 am

Shoot what makes ya happy. Never once have I cared what anyone thought about a buck I shot. It’s all personal preference and what your goals are.
HunterBob
500 Club

Unread postby HunterBob » Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:19 am

Uncle Lou wrote:I think you answered your own question. I have shot many meat bucks, and passed a few as well. It matters what mood I am in. Good luck and post him up if you take one, I will also offer congrats on anything you want to do.

Thanks Lou and everyone else. I think I relate to what you said about what mood I was in. I enjoyed getting to watch this young buck standing at 25 yds for minutes and don't regret it.

However, if this happens again I may just take him especially if we run out of meat. Thanks for the encouragement to pay attention to what seems right to me instead of some obligatory rule.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:34 am

They have hunting season for a reason, and that is not for hunters to pay taxidermy bills, although that is cool too :lol:
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
SamPotter
500 Club

Unread postby SamPotter » Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:59 am

I’ll echo what others have said- shoot what you want. If you’re happy, I’m happy. Every one hunts for different reasons. That being said, I personally shoot does for meat and bucks for memories/memorabilia.

If you are having aspirations of shooting a nice wall hanger at some point, you are handicapping yourself by shooting “meat” bucks.
1STRANGEWILDERNESS
500 Club

Unread postby 1STRANGEWILDERNESS » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:37 am

SamPotter wrote:I’ll echo what others have said- shoot what you want. If you’re happy, I’m happy. Every one hunts for different reasons. That being said, I personally shoot does for meat and bucks for memories/memorabilia.

If you are having aspirations of shooting a nice wall hanger at some point, you are handicapping yourself by shooting “meat” bucks.

Very true
don’t be broadcasting when you should be tuning in

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”