Trailcam kills

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

tim
500 Club

Trailcam kills

Unread postby tim » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:17 pm

Do you guys usually have pics of the deer you kill? For me it’s my biggest tool to actually target specific bucks. I believe the last time I killed a buck I didn’t have trailcam pics of was 2009 and then again one of my kills in 2011, but both were because of those properties being public in one case heavily pressured. That’s not to say I wouldn’t , every year I get some surprises on cams during the rut that I might stray from my goals if they put themselves in front of me.

hunter10
500 Club

Re: Trailcam kills

Unread postby hunter10 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:04 am

Not always but I have. 2nd last buck passed him year before I killed him. That kill year had him on cam in sept/oct and killed him first week dec
jman22
500 Club

Unread postby jman22 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:54 am

The vast majority of the bucks I see or kill are all deer I get pics of. I actually get very few "surprise " deer on the properties I hunt.
austin1990
500 Club

Unread postby austin1990 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:54 am

I just looked through my log book and 6 of the last 10 bucks I've killed I've had pictures of. That's over the last 5 seasons. Pretty much one a year I dont get pictures of when I kill them, the last coming last year. I was hunting a rifle stand and saw him that morning and couldn't get a shot, but he walked within 30 yards of a camera, just not in front of it. That afternoon he came out right at dark other side of the field and that time came out 20 yards from a camera and I shot him. If I would of gave him a few minutes he probably would have went to the scrape that other camera was on and gotten his picture taken. He was a big old warrior, had 2 broken points, scars and cuts all over him, one of my cousins remarked I never seen a deer that big that's had his but whipped so badly :lol:
Scott/IL

Unread postby Scott/IL » Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:55 am

My 4 bucks the last 2 years were trail cam bucks. 2 of those kills, the cams helped me narrow down their core areas, (another was a rut buck chasing a doe, and the other I kicked out of his bed and killed him a week later in there).

It’s a big tool for me to know if the quality of deer I’m looking for are around, as I generally will only hang them on food sources and backtrack from there.
Jdw
500 Club

Unread postby Jdw » Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:01 pm

Most of the bucks I kill on private I have pictures of. I don’t run many cameras on public.
Chasingdinner
Facebook: www.facebook.com/chasingdinner

Unread postby Chasingdinner » Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:05 pm

All of my last 4-5 were on camera. Some the day before, some weeks before.
1STRANGEWILDERNESS
500 Club

Unread postby 1STRANGEWILDERNESS » Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:04 am

This may be somewhat off topic but I’m real green when it comes to cameras and want to know. Do you guys often get lots of pics of a specific buck. I ask because I get immature bucks on cam regularly then a shooter just once. I did start placing my cams higher. The last 2 weeks I’ve gotten 3 pics of nice bucks but only 1 of each. 2 of the bucks I know were hanging around and not just passing through since I had a few visuals on them.
don’t be broadcasting when you should be tuning in
1STRANGEWILDERNESS
500 Club

Unread postby 1STRANGEWILDERNESS » Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:49 am

I guess what I’m getting at is I seem to spook mature bucks with them..
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:11 am

I would say 60-70% of the bucks I kill I have pics, often multiple pics of. But I run a lot of cameras year around (40+ currently) and it is a passion of mine it keeps me young … well ok it slows down the aging process.
austin1990
500 Club

Unread postby austin1990 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:28 am

1STRANGEWILDERNESS wrote:This may be somewhat off topic but I’m real green when it comes to cameras and want to know. Do you guys often get lots of pics of a specific buck. I ask because I get immature bucks on cam regularly then a shooter just once. I did start placing my cams higher. The last 2 weeks I’ve gotten 3 pics of nice bucks but only 1 of each. 2 of the bucks I know were hanging around and not just passing through since I had a few visuals on them.

The buck I killed in September I have hundreds of pics and videos of. It all depends on where the camera is located. On trails I may get a random nice buck now and then, but on a scrape close to bedding or a good trail to a food source I'll get multiples of the same deer. Sometimes I may not get a good deer at say a food source but I know he uses it and have to adjust the cameras to smaller, fainter trails.
1STRANGEWILDERNESS
500 Club

Unread postby 1STRANGEWILDERNESS » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:13 am

austin1990 wrote:
1STRANGEWILDERNESS wrote:This may be somewhat off topic but I’m real green when it comes to cameras and want to know. Do you guys often get lots of pics of a specific buck. I ask because I get immature bucks on cam regularly then a shooter just once. I did start placing my cams higher. The last 2 weeks I’ve gotten 3 pics of nice bucks but only 1 of each. 2 of the bucks I know were hanging around and not just passing through since I had a few visuals on them.

The buck I killed in September I have hundreds of pics and videos of. It all depends on where the camera is located. On trails I may get a random nice buck now and then, but on a scrape close to bedding or a good trail to a food source I'll get multiples of the same deer. Sometimes I may not get a good deer at say a food source but I know he uses it and have to adjust the cameras to smaller, fainter trails.

hmm I see, I have a few trails near a food source. I nabbed a pic of the biggest buck I've ever seen around here.( since then my wife says its like I'm off in some distant place :think: ) it was of him leaving the food source after dark. I went out this am in a downpour and set 2 cams on trails coming from the other way. Not sure how he gets there but i am sure hes bedding somewhere in a nearby private parcel. Not a scrape or rub 1 in the area.. one other question. do the IR cams that aren't black out spook them? that is what I'm working with at the moment. thanks for the info Austin
austin1990
500 Club

Unread postby austin1990 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:22 am

1STRANGEWILDERNESS wrote:
austin1990 wrote:

hmm I see, I have a few trails near a food source. I nabbed a pic of the biggest buck I've ever seen around here.( since then my wife says its like I'm off in some distant place :think: ) it was of him leaving the food source after dark. I went out this am in a downpour and set 2 cams on trails coming from the other way. Not sure how he gets there but i am sure hes bedding somewhere in a nearby private parcel. Not a scrape or rub 1 in the area.. one other question. do the IR cams that aren't black out spook them? that is what I'm working with at the moment. thanks for the info Austin

I know some people wont use a camera if it's not a black out model, but I've never believed in it that much myself. I've got one blackout model and 4 red glow cameras I use. Now with the red glow cameras I will get deer looking at them sometimes, and in the videos you can tell at first they seem startled but after a few seconds they will move on. I've never had a deer spook and just avoid the area like some people say has happened to them. Not saying it wont happen, it just hasn't happened to me... yet.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”