Next move after spooking 8pt buck

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Akwesasne96

Next move after spooking 8pt buck

Unread postby Akwesasne96 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:09 pm

My first post here...
This is my first year bowhunting, I hunt muzz and rifle seasons and have been hunting since 12 years old, im 23 now and have one 5 yr old wide 8pt under my belt

Tonight i walked in on an access trail partway then went off trail to a creek, where i found sign before on the opposite side, on the walk in I found an almost hip high rub heading towards the creek. I decided to walk parallel to the transition about 30yds away in very minimal coverage forest, not long into the transition I came along a fresh exit rub next to the creek and hung my stand at ground level about 30-35 yards from the rub, about 30 minutes to dark a shooter 8pt walked out, the wind blew in his direction and he definitely scented and made visual contact. He left in a hurry and could be heard blowing across the water.

The location is pretty hilly down stream and has some thick spots and acorns almost everywhere up and down

I included a map with the side the trees were rubbed and my route to where i placed my stand for tonight. The green arrow marks were the creek drops about 20ft below the forest on both sides.

This was my first hunt on that side of the creek, do i wait a few weeks and try again on the same wind with better stand placement?

Maybe different wind and stand location?

I have nearly 18,000 acres of Northern New York public land in my front yard to hunt in one area and plenty of other state forest land within 1hr drive, im not attached to the spot, just need advice on how to move in for the kill next time

Thank you fellow hunters and stay safe in and out of the woods
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”