white oak acorns during pre-rut/rut?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

riceg53

white oak acorns during pre-rut/rut?

Unread postby riceg53 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:13 am

Hey all, this might be a dumb question but how late have you seen deer using white oaks as a food source? I know the pre rut has kicked off where I am located and was wondering if i missed the time to hunt the white oaks I have recently found. Will bucks/doe still hit the acorns during the rut and into late season or do they stop eating them after a certain point? The green stuff is starting to dry up here too, will that make them more attracted to the acorns?

d_rek

Re: white oak acorns during pre-rut/rut?

Unread postby d_rek » Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:17 am

Here in Michigan white oaks rarely hold onto their acorns more than a week or two into the season. More often than not they are dropped out 2nd or 3rd week of September. Still there can be a rare oak that holds its fruit into mid or late october. More likely red oaks will be dropping throughout october and sometimes into november and, while not as desirable as white, can become a food source.
"I don't know what the f*** this is but it's weird as f*** so i'm leaving."
-The Deep
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:25 am

It depends on other food sources in your area. Around me acorns are the main food source this time of year. White, red, black, chestnut oak doesn’t really matter they eat them until they are all gone.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
funderburk
500 Club

Unread postby funderburk » Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:21 am

Just killed a buck two days ago over white oak acorns. There were also at least three active scrapes and a grove of rubbed trees within 75 yards of the acorns. He got up 45 mins before dark, started feeding, and didn’t move more than 50 yards in daylight.
“I’ve always believed that the mind is the best weapon.” John Rambo
riceg53

Unread postby riceg53 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:55 am

funderburk wrote:Just killed a buck two days ago over white oak acorns. There were also at least three active scrapes and a grove of rubbed trees within 75 yards of the acorns. He got up 45 mins before dark, started feeding, and didn’t move more than 50 yards in daylight.

this sounds exactly like the area I found. I found a few freshly rubbed trees, on the edge of the acorn flat, then on the other side there was a brand new scrape. Do you know how far he was bedded from the rubs? I cant seem to figure out why these bucks make rubs in the places that they do.
funderburk
500 Club

Unread postby funderburk » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:29 am

riceg53 wrote:
funderburk wrote:Just killed a buck two days ago over white oak acorns. There were also at least three active scrapes and a grove of rubbed trees within 75 yards of the acorns. He got up 45 mins before dark, started feeding, and didn’t move more than 50 yards in daylight.

this sounds exactly like the area I found. I found a few freshly rubbed trees, on the edge of the acorn flat, then on the other side there was a brand new scrape. Do you know how far he was bedded from the rubs? I cant seem to figure out why these bucks make rubs in the places that they do.

He was bedded just down the point of the ridge about 60 yards from the first scrape. Rubs were scattered in that area and I was setup 20 yards from that sign.
“I’ve always believed that the mind is the best weapon.” John Rambo
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:47 pm

d_rek wrote:Here in Michigan white oaks rarely hold onto their acorns more than a week or two into the season. More often than not they are dropped out 2nd or 3rd week of September. Still there can be a rare oak that holds its fruit into mid or late october. More likely red oaks will be dropping throughout october and sometimes into november and, while not as desirable as white, can become a food source.

X2

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”