Tropical storm

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

jrain904

Tropical storm

Unread postby jrain904 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:18 am

SO I hunt in FL and we can only hunt a WMA for 3 days on a quota permit. The 3 days are set by the state. As luck has it tomorrow is the start of my 3 days. Tomorrow is also a tropical storm. 100% rain/thunderstorms and wind around 30 mph almost all day. The storm is also increasing the local temps almost 10 degrees. It looks like the weather begins to break around 3pm. Do you think the deer will move once the weather breaks? Is there any particular strategy I should employ after a heavy storm?

gmark

Re: Tropical storm

Unread postby gmark » Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:01 am

I get the frustration of the bad weather on our short FL quota hunts!
Unfortunately I can't offer any advice (yet), but I will definitely be following this thread to see what the more experienced guys have to say.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:07 am

Have you been to BPS in Orlando?
They have this big NT buck - full body mount on top of the ammo sales/display cases. Anyway, it was shot at green swamp west either during or immediately following a hurricane - guy saw it and decided what the heck - made a stalk in the gusty winds and arrowed it.

I wouldn't expect deer deer to move during the downpours but any other times, they very well could be out and about. I've seen deer in 30 mph gusts before.

The whole quota thing stinks. I've decided it is good hunts or no hunts - in for the 3 to 5 yr plan (a 3-day permit every 3 to 5 years for clarity) for an area I like...
Jurist

Unread postby Jurist » Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:12 am

jrain904 wrote:SO I hunt in FL and we can only hunt a WMA for 3 days on a quota permit. The 3 days are set by the state. As luck has it tomorrow is the start of my 3 days. Tomorrow is also a tropical storm. 100% rain/thunderstorms and wind around 30 mph almost all day. The storm is also increasing the local temps almost 10 degrees. It looks like the weather begins to break around 3pm. Do you think the deer will move once the weather breaks? Is there any particular strategy I should employ after a heavy storm?

If deer miss their morning feed or evening feed because they stay in their beds due to weather, as soon as it breaks they will get up and feed.

So if you know where the closest feeding area is to the bedding, that is were they will be as soon as the weather breaks.
"We know they are lying,
they know they are lying,
they know we know they are lying,
we know they know we know they are lying,
but they are still lying."
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
wmahunter
500 Club

Unread postby wmahunter » Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:50 am

Be out there as soon as the weather breaks. Those deer will move in a drizzle rain but down pours they are going to lay up a bit then they will move as soon as it quits. Keep your powder dry it is going to be a little wet this weekend.
wmahunter
500 Club

Unread postby wmahunter » Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:00 am

at least someone drew a quota. I didn't draw squat this year.
jrain904

Unread postby jrain904 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:41 am

wmahunter wrote:at least someone drew a quota. I didn't draw squat this year.

Not many hunters in Jax, or most hunt private, as I draw several every year. Sorry to hear your luck.
Buckshot20
500 Club

Unread postby Buckshot20 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:54 am

You better be in a tree. That’s my plan
jrain904

Unread postby jrain904 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:58 am

wmahunter wrote:Be out there as soon as the weather breaks. Those deer will move in a drizzle rain but down pours they are going to lay up a bit then they will move as soon as it quits. Keep your powder dry it is going to be a little wet this weekend.

really wish the wma I hunt allowed the use of bows during muzzleload season.
jrain904

Unread postby jrain904 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:01 am

Buckshot20 wrote:You better be in a tree. That’s my plan

Man I want to be out there but the 100% chance of Thunderstorms from 7am to 3pm has me like :think: . I don't recall the last time an hour by hour forecast literally listed 100% thunderstorm (not rain) for an entire 8 hour stretch lol. I am fine with getting wet I just don't want to be out in crazy lightning!
wmahunter
500 Club

Unread postby wmahunter » Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:22 am

the eye is heading north but all the rain will be over jacksonville area. You might want to hunt out of a blind to stay semi dry.
Hambone79

Unread postby Hambone79 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:38 am

I to believe they will move as soon as it slacks up. I do plan on being in a tree tomorrow afternoon.
Sailfish_WC
500 Club

Unread postby Sailfish_WC » Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:59 am

Rich M wrote:Have you been to BPS in Orlando?
They have this big NT buck - full body mount on top of the ammo sales/display cases. Anyway, it was shot at green swamp west either during or immediately following a hurricane - guy saw it and decided what the heck - made a stalk in the gusty winds and arrowed it.

I wouldn't expect deer deer to move during the downpours but any other times, they very well could be out and about. I've seen deer in 30 mph gusts before.

The whole quota thing stinks. I've decided it is good hunts or no hunts - in for the 3 to 5 yr plan (a 3-day permit every 3 to 5 years for clarity) for an area I like...

I am 0-28 on quota draws this season

The unit I apply I have never, ever not gotten drawn for.
I’ve never even seen more than 10-12 trucks. Heck I’ve only crossed paths with persons 3x in like 7 years and the unit isn’t very large. It has 75 tags.

The quota thing does stink. But something else is going on. I have a theory. And an idea for a fix (although even the fix can be manipulated). Frustrating as heck

Yep it certainly stinks
Sailfish_WC <-- Deer watcher
jrain904

Unread postby jrain904 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:47 pm

Sailfish_WC wrote:

I’ve never even seen more than 10-12 trucks. Heck I’ve only crossed paths with persons 3x in like 7 years and the unit isn’t very large. It has 75 tags.

The quota thing does stink. But something else is going on. I have a theory. And an idea for a fix (although even the fix can be manipulated). Frustrating as heck

Yep it certainly stinks

You should have a lot of preference points
Sailfish_WC
500 Club

Unread postby Sailfish_WC » Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:38 am

jrain904 wrote:
Sailfish_WC wrote:

Yep it certainly stinks

You should have a lot of preference points

It would be nice.

Check your IM
Sailfish_WC <-- Deer watcher

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”