Does anyone spot and stalk with a bow?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BorealBushMN

Re: Does anyone spot and stalk with a bow?

Unread postby BorealBushMN » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:15 pm

BoTheHunter wrote:Just wanting to know if anyone has tried this. Im wanting to try it.

Just had a chance last Sunday. Posted about it here.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=52121

It’s an awesome experience, and definitely something I will strive to do often now.

Kevin2

Unread postby Kevin2 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:42 pm

I tried it years ago after reading about it in magazines, late 80s, got on some deer, but missed my best opportunity. Then really didn't do again seriously till a couple years ago. Last year I did it and killed a nice Doe. I did it with lots of hills and gullies to disguise me as I made my way along it. It was windy, which really helped too. I blew the 1st opportunity last year, took the shot, but the tall grass ate up by arrow before it hit her. I spotted another deer from about 150 yards away about 5 minutes later, got on my hands and knees for the last 50-75 yards, got to 30 yards. I laid on my side while in the tall weeds and pulled the bow back, then got to my knees for the shot. Deer ran under 30 yards and died.

Was awesome. One of my all time favorite hunts.

Ironically, I tried the same hunt tonight, finally getting the perfect wind conditions & blew it on a 35 yard shot. I wore gloves, which I don't do normally because I can't feel the trigger. But these gloves are super thin, so I felt I'd be OK after some practice on the range with them. Just pulled on the deer, was just starting to aim by scope/pin & the trigger went off. Missed by 10 feet! BYE BYE deer! LOL...ALL the crawling and glory out the window in the blink of an eye! HATE to share the awfulness, but I tried!

But, it was a rush. Just like on TV or youtube Hunting Public crew! LOL... I closed down the gap from about 100 to 35 in about 10 minutes. I just kept on crawling, one eye able to see through all the junk from my hood hiding my face, and there was only a small bit of weeds in one area to help me out. Ghillie suit, the whole 9 yards!

74347056_10217676993989629_3138658535370391552_n.jpg

The weeds I crawled through tonight. Can't see the last 25-30 yards, but it was nearly zero cover. Fun stuff for an old fart like me!

74649784_10217677001909827_6036988039639597056_n.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Hunt and let Hunt" my new saying...
Jurist

Unread postby Jurist » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:51 pm

This is the way I plan on hunting the entire rut.

I have been scouting areas, just to be familiar with them..

I will walk and once I find some fresh sign I will find a spot and set up my remote call. While I am walking if I make noise I will hit my grunt call.

I have had great luck calling in BIG bucks the last two years with an estrus call. Had both within 12 yards but brush being what it is I couldn't seal the deal. It is really a rush.... But each year I learn a little more and now I won't call until I find some fresh sign. Should be FUN!...

I will try to film it with my GoPro 7 black...
"We know they are lying,
they know they are lying,
they know we know they are lying,
we know they know we know they are lying,
but they are still lying."
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:53 pm

I took a bedded doe last year in the hills of ny. I've been pretty consistent at being the boogeyman here in MT
crankn101
500 Club

Unread postby crankn101 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:09 pm

A Tim Wells video just popped up on my youtube feed and it had some young lady putting the stalk on a nice Buck. Worth the watch.
Thesouthpaw
500 Club

Unread postby Thesouthpaw » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:41 pm

Get some Whitetail Adrenaline Dvds. That is they only way that they hunt. They produce some awesome content, all on public land.
Anything worth doing, is worth over doing.
BoTheHunter

Unread postby BoTheHunter » Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:12 am

crankn101 wrote:A Tim Wells video just popped up on my youtube feed and it had some young lady putting the stalk on a nice Buck. Worth the watch.

I just watched that video, that is his daughter. I love Tim Wells!!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”