Going in Blind on Private

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Kel Varnsen

Going in Blind on Private

Unread postby Kel Varnsen » Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:30 am

I’ve recently moved back to my home area in the South and can once again hunt our family land. Over the years we’ve been successful on a few mature deer although, despite being there, 140+ animals have generally eluded us. We have typically done the several stand locations with food plots approach.

Since being away I’ve been studying and implementing beast tactics on public land with some success in terms of getting on good deer in places one might not expect. So I’m now thinking about treating our land the same way. I want to just forget what I think I know and instead go in blind on places (haven’t had time to do lots of scouting) based on aerials and of course some knowledge about what’s where in terms of potential bedding and food. My guess is everyone’s going to think I’m crazy.

I’m wondering what folks think of this strategy. I have a much better idea of where people have been and where they’ve almost never been (unlike on public) so that certainly helps. I guess I’m looking for thoughts and motivation on this approach. The land is generally flat in river bottoms and surrounded by harvested crop fields.

CumminsArcher
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/brandon.cox.374

Re: Going in Blind on Private

Unread postby CumminsArcher » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:46 am

i know what you are going thru.... i have been on a 75 acre plot here in SW PA since 2009, I have been following beast tactics for the past 2 years. As of the last year I took it upon myself to look at my property in a whole new light!! Let me just say don't over think what you are doing, I have been hunting this place like I said since 2009 but its not all a loss! Once I've walked the property I found I'm hunting close to where I need to be! On Saturday I plan to set up just 60 yards from where I hunted from 2009 to 20016... Just because you hunted there before beast tactics doesn't mean it was a bad spot! Keep Pushing!!
Bman409
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/bman409

Unread postby Bman409 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:56 am

Kel Varnsen wrote:I’ve recently moved back to my home area in the South and can once again hunt our family land. Over the years we’ve been successful on a few mature deer although, despite being there, 140+ animals have generally eluded us. We have typically done the several stand locations with food plots approach.

Since being away I’ve been studying and implementing beast tactics on public land with some success in terms of getting on good deer in places one might not expect. So I’m now thinking about treating our land the same way. I want to just forget what I think I know and instead go in blind on places (haven’t had time to do lots of scouting) based on aerials and of course some knowledge about what’s where in terms of potential bedding and food. My guess is everyone’s going to think I’m crazy.

I’m wondering what folks think of this strategy. I have a much better idea of where people have been and where they’ve almost never been (unlike on public) so that certainly helps. I guess I’m looking for thoughts and motivation on this approach. The land is generally flat in river bottoms and surrounded by harvested crop fields.

I'm doing the exact same thing on our family farm in PA the final week of Oct

I've only hunted there once in the past 20 years (firearms) and never in bow

I'm forgetting everything about the land and the ladder stands that are there, and starting from scratch
Kel Varnsen

Unread postby Kel Varnsen » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:09 am

There is no doubt we have the good spots pegged for seeing lots of deer. The issue really relates to whether the places people hunt often are the best places to kill mature bucks. So, even if its an ideal funnel, a solid food source, etc. there still are very few sightings of mature bucks on camera or in person. That means that to what extent mature deer are using these areas it must be at night. Amazingly though, these traditional good sign places rarely captures a mature deer on camera. We almost always shoot them the first time they are seen, or we just see them once. On 800+ acres I am assuming they do not leave the area totally. That's what I think I just have to get creative and try blind sits where no one has been all season. What's the deepest water you think a mature animal will cross to get to a good bed day in/day out?
Cchez
Facebook: codiechesney is my Instagram

Unread postby Cchez » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:29 am

This is a really fun way to hunt a property you already have knowledge of. THe last couple years i've been using this exact strategy on our private 400 acre piece, and my sightings have increased dramatically. Even though i have areas i have killed bucks or know bucks have used in the past, i force myself to hunt a new spot when i can, just to see what happens. Last year I passed 7 bucks doing this, and i had a lot of fun learning even more about parts of the property i typically don't spend much time in. 2 years ago i killed a buck in a spot id walked before but never hunted. It keeps things fresh, and helps you learn some new spots you may have thought weren't worth sitting in the past.
moog5050
500 Club

Unread postby moog5050 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:35 am

wow 800 acres is a ton of private. I am sure there are great spots you haven't hunted. Have fun finding them.
Kel Varnsen

Unread postby Kel Varnsen » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:12 am

We are very fortunate for sure. A large part of it is devoted to duck hunting so lots of shallow water. In some ways that helps narrow down good areas and creates ridges and funnels. But, lots of deer live in the water and it’s hard to get to them.
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:46 am

DO IT!

I got bit by the beast bug hard in 2013. Same kind of deal. Grew up with opportunities at top end bucks for the private areas I hunted few and far between despite knowing they were there by hunting the way dad and grandpa always did (with mostly those results too).

Hunting public remains a work in progress for me, but applying new approaches to old ground has seen my success SKY ROCKET since.

On a 30 acre marsh I hunt in IL between 2008 and 2013 I killed a 1, 2, and 4 year old , despite knowing there were many larger bucks there, including visuals but being out of the game.

Since...8 bucks in 6 years with at least three, maybe 4 of those mature. Results don't lie! They key on this property has actually been hunting it WAY less, but more strategically related to weather and time of year. You have a leg-up knowing the properties well. Should be able to see results quick!
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:46 am

For me personally going in blind on private removes the biggest advantage private offers. The not having to worry bout what the other yahoos are doing. The thing I luv most about private is if I find the best spot on it I don't have to worry that someone messed it up. And if bucks are holding tight to bedding on large track private ground I would feel I was going about this the wrong way. Private gives u the ability to sit back and let the other pressured areas pack em into your place and then u strike when the griddle is hot. 800 acres is way more than enough for a high odds victory if u play your cards right. The tv guys do it in open fields at 2 in the afternoon with a fraction of the acreage.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:55 am

Boogieman1 wrote:For me personally going in blind on private removes the biggest advantage private offers. The not having to worry bout what the other yahoos are doing. The thing I luv most about private is if I find the best spot on it I don't have to worry that someone messed it up. And if bucks are holding tight to bedding on large track private ground I would feel I was going about this the wrong way. Private gives u the ability to sit back and let the other pressured areas pack em into your place and then u strike when the griddle is hot. 800 acres is way more than enough for a high odds victory if u play your cards right. The tv guys do it in open fields at 2 in the afternoon with a fraction of the acreage.

Fair points. I guess I assumed that the going in blind part more meant starting out this year and hitting the spots they haven't been hunting and building future intel. More mobile hunting private than truly going in blind. I hang and hunt a lot of my private spots based on sign.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:44 am

Kraftd wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:For me personally going in blind on private removes the biggest advantage private offers. The not having to worry bout what the other yahoos are doing. The thing I luv most about private is if I find the best spot on it I don't have to worry that someone messed it up. And if bucks are holding tight to bedding on large track private ground I would feel I was going about this the wrong way. Private gives u the ability to sit back and let the other pressured areas pack em into your place and then u strike when the griddle is hot. 800 acres is way more than enough for a high odds victory if u play your cards right. The tv guys do it in open fields at 2 in the afternoon with a fraction of the acreage.

Fair points. I guess I assumed that the going in blind part more meant starting out this year and hitting the spots they haven't been hunting and building future intel. More mobile hunting private than truly going in blind. I hang and hunt a lot of my private spots based on sign.

Good points Kraft, I didn't look at it like that. Also I just speak on my own situation which very possibly doesn't translate over to anyone else's. I mean I hunt in a strictly gun state. They have one tower blind, corn/protein feeder, ton of caged cotton seed, a water station, mineral site, back scratcher, ball washer etc..,in a area they can see a country mile. If I crack the code and find the best tree it never changes cause the other hunters certainly ain't changing. But public is a diff animal cause they don't allow tower blinds lol
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Kel Varnsen

Unread postby Kel Varnsen » Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:41 pm

Kraftd wrote:

This is definitely more in line with what I was thinking. Its obviously nothing like public but there is consistent pressure outside of my control in a number of places on the property. I was thinking more like going in blind to places I have rarely or never been/hunted and seeing what I can find in terms of bedding, feed trees, security cover, you name it. It may not pay off on the virgin sit, and that may indeed mess it up for now, but long term I will have a much better idea of what is happening. I think its worth pointing out I have fairly little time to hunt so I was unable to do any scouting or studying otherwise before now. Ideally some of this could be done in the immediate offseason or spring, but it is what it is for now.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:51 pm

My thought on your situation is. What have you got to lose? Could screw things up. But you could find sign, that leads to an encounter. Your not killing mature bucks sitting the old standby stands. You may end up with the best hunt of your life. By heading in "blind".
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:08 pm

Kel Varnsen wrote:
Kraftd wrote:

This is definitely more in line with what I was thinking. Its obviously nothing like public but there is consistent pressure outside of my control in a number of places on the property. I was thinking more like going in blind to places I have rarely or never been/hunted and seeing what I can find in terms of bedding, feed trees, security cover, you name it. It may not pay off on the virgin sit, and that may indeed mess it up for now, but long term I will have a much better idea of what is happening. I think its worth pointing out I have fairly little time to hunt so I was unable to do any scouting or studying otherwise before now. Ideally some of this could be done in the immediate offseason or spring, but it is what it is for now.

If you have where everyone else is hunting almost completely nailed down, and have a good sense of where the thick nasty stuff is otherwise, I'd say you're well on your way to making the family jealous!
Kel Varnsen

Unread postby Kel Varnsen » Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:22 pm

Thanks, guys. This gives me the kick in the pants I needed to do the extra work on this one. Years ago I would hunt public just to get more of a thrill and challenge. Since I do not have the time to make the drives (new job and baby) I will turn this into a challenge all its own. Hopefully I can get back to you with some fun updates!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”