Question: Why do people apologize for "non-Beast" kills?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Boogieman1
500 Club

Re: Question: Why do people apologize for "non-Beast" kills?

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:25 am

crankn101 wrote:Because youre not cool unless you shoot a buck out of his bed while hanging from a saddle after canoeing in 3.475 miles shortly after your crossfit class ended...

:lol: I like your MO

Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:35 am

I hate to say it but some the Beast facebook posts made by some of the top members have underlying tones of, “You’re not a good enough hunter if you aren’t hunting buck beds outside of the rut”. At this juncture I am nowhere close a beast style hunter based on how I hunt. Im fine with that. I think we get that beast style is not for the faint of heart but I can see why some people are feeling inadequate...
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:49 am

It’s similar to the traditional bow hunting world. Your not cool unless you shoot instinctive ,don’t use your arrow has a sight.Your not cool unless your killing big bucks sitting 50 yds from a buck bed early season. Lol
Last edited by Hawthorne on Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Randyflash

Unread postby Randyflash » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:52 am

greenhorndave wrote:
Tennhunter3 wrote:I didn't post a 2 year old buck I killed because I killed it in the Am in my second beast year.

I had missed a few older bucks and was like he is a decent 8 why not at the time.

Yeah, I'd say don't worry about what you took or why. The beauty of this forum, to me anyway, is that your fellow hunters will celebrate it regardless. I'm happy for you, not for what size or age class it is. I think that applies to most people here.

This
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:11 pm

I've shot one pure luck buck and another easy early season buck in the back yard, wish I could nab a few more of them. Those long/hellish drags do make fun stories though. :lol:
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:18 pm

Kraftd wrote:
crankn101 wrote:Because youre not cool unless you shoot a buck out of his bed while hanging from a saddle after canoeing in 3.475 miles shortly after your crossfit class ended...

They should put some antlers on a 200 pound sack of weights and add dragging it a mile to CrossFit games!

:lol: x 2
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
1STRANGEWILDERNESS
500 Club

Unread postby 1STRANGEWILDERNESS » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:22 pm

Crap, the best hunting I’ve gotten on this yr is close to the road. Think I blew out a few spots going too deep when I didn’t need to.

Where I live you locate a mature buck and kill him you’re doing darn good.

And if you locate whatever you want to kill then how could you not be doing good?
don’t be broadcasting when you should be tuning in
Jurist

Unread postby Jurist » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:37 pm

I've seen dan hunt the edge of a food plots riding a fat chick...

And he is the night king of beast style hunting.

So you do what you have to do to get the score.. ;)
"We know they are lying,
they know they are lying,
they know we know they are lying,
we know they know we know they are lying,
but they are still lying."
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
mipubbucks24
500 Club

Unread postby mipubbucks24 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:58 pm

I’ve killed a few bucks since joining the beast. I just don’t care about posting them & I am on mobile and until recently it was a pain to post pictures. But in my mind I do have this thing where I want the first beast kill zone to be worthy. Which is a bunch of hog wash, and I have not been made to feel that way by anyone on the forum, kinda just self imposed. But I don’t think guys should apologize, one of my favorite kill zones from last year was the buck Jonny shot, can’t remember how big or what just remember it was cool.
Southern Buck

Unread postby Southern Buck » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:06 pm

No one here cares what you decide to shoot. We will however be happy for you when you shoot it. This isn’t archery talk.
But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name. John 20:31
Smitty
Facebook: Mitch Smith

Unread postby Smitty » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:08 pm

No need for apologies for taking any animal that you personally are proud of that’s what is awesome about this group the celebration of the story whether it’s a brute buck or small doe it is great in its own way. I unfortunately know some people personally who I have heard cut down someone for hiking on to public and shooting a young doe or small buck, meanwhile they have never put forth the effort to step out of a box blind, which is fine but then don’t criticize someone for for the animal they took working their tail off for.
Haste makes waste
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:23 pm

1STRANGEWILDERNESS wrote:Crap, the best hunting I’ve gotten on this yr is close to the road. Think I blew out a few spots going too deep when I didn’t need to.

Where I live you locate a mature buck and kill him you’re doing darn good.

And if you locate whatever you want to kill then how could you not be doing good?

This x100

Peoples idea of what is “big” is crazy nowadays. In my mind a 110” buck is a nice buck. But the amount of people that scoff at a deer that size blows my mind.

A lot of people aren’t even impressed with a 130’s buck. Heck, some bucks won’t even hit 140” when mature. It takes some pretty darn good genetics to even hit 150”.
SidewayZ
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SidewayZ32

Unread postby SidewayZ » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:29 pm

If it gets you excited and meets yours goals for that season or that hunt, never apologize!

Truth is we all had to get some killin in before we could achieve killing a mature buck.

I was hooked on the bed hunting and quickly realized that in most cases you just need to use these tactics to get you one bucks and not necessarily be shooting bucks in their bed. Just too many variables for most of us given the land/terrain we are hunting.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
-SidewayZ-

I'm not scared to fail, I just fear regret!
crackehelmet

Unread postby crackehelmet » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:41 pm

I can't remember which video or podcast it's in, but one of my favorite things Dan says is when he's talking about when people bring their kids along when he's guiding and think that Dan is going to have some kind of expectation on the kids to wait for big deer and instead he tells the kids "If you see something you wanna shoot, shoot it. As long as it's not me."

I'm a really new deer hunter. I've never shot a deer. I feel like when I do, the folks on the beast are going to be happy to see it. I sure as heck won't be apologizing to anyone here for the deer, but I'll be thanking a whole lot of you for the help and encouragement.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:44 pm

crackehelmet wrote:I can't remember which video or podcast it's in, but one of my favorite things Dan says is when he's talking about when people bring their kids along when he's guiding and think that Dan is going to have some kind of expectation on the kids to wait for big deer and instead he tells the kids "If you see something you wanna shoot, shoot it. As long as it's not me."

I'm a really new deer hunter. I've never shot a deer. I feel like when I do, the folks on the beast are going to be happy to see it. I sure as heck won't be apologizing to anyone here for the deer, but I'll be thanking a whole lot of you for the help and encouragement.

Good luck with your season. Shoot whatever turns your crank 8-)

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”