Question: Why do people apologize for "non-Beast" kills?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

trob_205
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robertstravisj

Re: Question: Why do people apologize for "non-Beast" kills?

Unread postby trob_205 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:23 am

Think I read this in one of the responses but, dead deer is a dead deer. Hunting like a beast to me means hunting utilizing whatever tactics it takes to kill a mature animal. Whether that means thinking in or out of the box isn’t an issue in my eyes. If you saw a deer coming to a field edge via camera or observation sit and you adjust and kill - beast. You go sit an observation post and kill a good one - beast.

greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:25 am

trob_205 wrote:Think I read this in one of the responses but, dead deer is a dead deer. Hunting like a beast to me means hunting utilizing whatever tactics it takes to kill a mature animal. Whether that means thinking in or out of the box isn’t an issue in my eyes. If you saw a deer coming to a field edge via camera or observation sit and you adjust and kill - beast. You go sit an observation post and kill a good one - beast.

Right on man.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:23 pm

DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:38 pm

Who cares, there's hunting to be done.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:51 pm

:clap:

I can't disagree with one word Ted said.
bigredneck61088

Unread postby bigredneck61088 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:29 pm

I take them anyway I can legally!

yes we all “beast” Hunt but I’m sure for most it’s just a tool in the toolbox! The more ways you can hunt and get it done in my opinion the more well rounded you are in unfamiliar territory
gsquared23

Unread postby gsquared23 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:18 pm

I’m proud as h€\\ of the buck I shot on private last year, over a food plot: longer shot for me (30 yards), got the thing out all by myself and caped and quartered and so on without any help, on ground that I work and I work my but off to pay for. And that was all made possible by my discipline to stay the heck out of there until the time was right. A negative nancy or democrat can poke holes in the accomplishment, but there are very few of those around here. Most migrate over to archery talk.

Maybe to answer the original question: people will apologize as they think they’re not cool enough for the crew here if they got lucky or didn’t do the public thing.
Bowhunting is not for the faint of heart. But fortune favors the bowed.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:57 pm

gsquared23 wrote:I’m proud as h€\\ of the buck I shot on private last year, over a food plot: longer shot for me (30 yards), got the thing out all by myself and caped and quartered and so on without any help, on ground that I work and I work my but off to pay for. And that was all made possible by my discipline to stay the heck out of there until the time was right. A negative nancy or democrat can poke holes in the accomplishment, but there are very few of those around here. Most migrate over to archery talk.

Maybe to answer the original question: people will apologize as they think they’re not cool enough for the crew here if they got lucky or didn’t do the public thing.

Working hard is working hard. Taking care of and improving your own little piece of heaven. "Should" make you proud. And of any animals you take on said ground. Just a little different pride than a highly pressured public land hunt. One is not a better or more accomplished endeavor than the other. Just a little different, from each other.

In baseball does a homerun with nobody on base, count for more points. Than a single with a runner on third??? :think:
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
exojam

Unread postby exojam » Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:51 am

Heck, my little spike made my day, month and year.

Just to FINALLY have a chance to get out in the woods again, tucking myself into a nice fall down and having him walk within 25 yards of me and NOT know I was there blew my top.

Do to lack of success my first few years made me have doubts of being able to do this since I am noisy going in due to life, it brings you down some. So I try to go in way before end of light so my noise should be a distant memory to anything I freaked out (except those dang squirrels that sit next to you raising bloody ).

But the other day proved to me if I watch the wind direction and tuck in good, try to limit my movement, someone will come by.

And luckily, on this site I have NEVER seen a member have criticism directed at them for “their” buck of choice.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:00 am

exojam wrote:Heck, my little spike made my day, month and year.

Just to FINALLY have a chance to get out in the woods again, tucking myself into a nice fall down and having him walk within 25 yards of me and NOT know I was there blew my top.

Do to lack of success my first few years made me have doubts of being able to do this since I am noisy going in due to life, it brings you down some. So I try to go in way before end of light so my noise should be a distant memory to anything I freaked out (except those dang squirrels that sit next to you raising bloody ).

But the other day proved to me if I watch the wind direction and tuck in good, try to limit my movement, someone will come by.

And luckily, on this site I have NEVER seen a member have criticism directed at them for “their” buck of choice.

:clap:

You're the type from whom I get as much or more inspiration from that the guys who are knocking down 160+ bucks. Definitely digging deep with persistence. That's Beast, not the size or way you harvested a deer.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
OH nontypical
500 Club

Unread postby OH nontypical » Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:22 am

I’ve now bow hunted for over 30 years. Killed small,big, field edge hunts, swamp hunts, wood hunts, and everything in between. Some near beds and even hunted a few times near a garbage dump.

I will never apologize for taking a deer with archery gear as it’s still very challenging and fulfilling regardless of where or what gear being or hunting style being used.
Hunt the way you want as long as it’s legal.

Good hunting!!
Stringpuller74

Unread postby Stringpuller74 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:21 am

greenhorndave wrote:I've noticed this a few times this season where folks who had nice kills gave light apologies for not having a Beast-style kill. This might have meant hunting by a food plot, field edge, funnel, etc.

I think they mean that they didn't hunt by a specific bedding area or go through knee-deep muck to get to their spot.

So why apologize? Maybe they're just being humble, which is fine.

But in my simple mind, being a Beast is foremost about adaptability and doing what it takes to get the job done. This might mean a field edge if that's where the deer are in daylight. It makes no sense to walk 3 miles when 300 yards might be the best spot for that particular time. Or, it could be 3 wet miles amd the willingness to do it.

There's not just one way, so don't put asterisks on your successful hunt. You earned it now matter how you got it done.

All in my opinion...

Its a free country. My motto is go big or go home these days. Thats me though.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”