Wind change evening hunt?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Grasshopper

Wind change evening hunt?

Unread postby Grasshopper » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:58 pm

When the wind starts the day in one direction and changes midday do you typically set up an evening hunt for bedding according to the morning wind direction. Or are you assuming they moved during the change and set up for them to be bedding according to the current afternoon wind direction?
I'm sure some deer shift and some don't. Just wondering how some of you folk handle the situation.

PK_
500 Club

Re: Wind change evening hunt?

Unread postby PK_ » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:05 am

What terrain?

Mature bucks like spots that work for a variety of winds. Like in hill country a small knob wedged between two longer points or ridges, the wind will come in and swirl or bend thru there creating a small leeward section for 3 of the 4 major wind directions or any variation of them. So that wind has to change to that direction that doesn’t work in order for the buck to even think of moving any distance to speak of. And even then it depends what other options are in the neighborhood for him to move to, how safe they and the travel to them is in comparison to him just sitting tight.

But overall, the idea of capitalizing on a midday wind change is for you to take advantage of a buck who bedded in the am with a bulletproof wind and is now slightly or completely exposed to a good setup because of either a slight shift or a 180° swing in the wind.

In other terrain bucks don’t care much about the daytime wind direction, they bed and stage in places where the thermals sink in the evening and they don’t leave the comfort of those spots until they do and they can scent check all around them.

Sorry for the book, there is a lot to think on this subject.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:09 am

Exactly as PK said, can depend on the terrain and individual bed. Hill country they might move, swamps or points they might not and you can move in to take advantage of the wind switch.
Huntress13
500 Club

Unread postby Huntress13 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:40 am

PK_ wrote:What terrain?

Mature bucks like spots that work for a variety of winds. Like in hill country a small knob wedged between two longer points or ridges, the wind will come in and swirl or bend thru there creating a small leeward section for 3 of the 4 major wind directions or any variation of them. So that wind has to change to that direction that doesn’t work in order for the buck to even think of moving any distance to speak of. And even then it depends what other options are in the neighborhood for him to move to, how safe they and the travel to them is in comparison to him just sitting tight.

But overall, the idea of capitalizing on a midday wind change is for you to take advantage of a buck who bedded in the am with a bulletproof wind and is now slightly or completely exposed to a good setup because of either a slight shift or a 180° swing in the wind.

In other terrain bucks don’t care much about the daytime wind direction, they bed and stage in places where the thermals sink in the evening and they don’t leave the comfort of those spots until they do and they can scent check all around them.

Not on topic, but it struck me funny. PK your location in your profile says "just off" and glancing at it after reading the topic, my brain read "just off wind". lol.
Twigs in my hair, don't care.
Grasshopper

Unread postby Grasshopper » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:19 am

PK_ wrote:What terrain?

I've been thinking a lot on the subject recently.
I hunt mostly hill country and we've been getting a lot of morning n evening s wind switches. Although often they are bedded long before the wind gets stronger than the thermals anyway. I see a lot of thermal and cover based bedding I believe.
I'm just curious how others play it out when this happens.
Chuck B
500 Club

Unread postby Chuck B » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:35 am

Its a great question and I look forward to reading more responses on it. I have tried to set up for the wind changes and corresponding buck bedding changes in the past, but haven't had any success with it. I'd love to hear from those who have had more experience and success with it.
If you aren't green and growing, you are ripe and rotting
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:51 am

Yes they will move - I've seen them do it for morning thermals and for wind changes. As to your original ?, I set up for the conditions at hand - if a wind shifts, I will more often than not move to adjust. If there is a coming on wind change then i often wait in the fringes and make my move when the shift is occurring - although, down this way there is often an hour or so of swirling winds with drastic front passing (wind shifts). More often than not it is best IMO to wait it out and go after them on a day when conditions are better/more consistent. I do believe in the odds of a first time sit so if you go in and stay put with bad winds your educated the older bucks IMO. But that is the magic of a mobile set up - you can move as conditions dictate.
HudsonBay

Unread postby HudsonBay » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:41 am

I had this exact question in regards to farm (ag area) bedding. I’m very interested in any and all responses to this topic.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”