weather question

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

raisins

weather question

Unread postby raisins » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:42 pm

Let's say you have a drop in temperature for two days. The first day the temperature drops from the warmth previous and then on the second day it drops even more.

Is it more important to hunt the coldest of the two days (second day) or the day when the temperature first begins to drop (first day)?

This is a common fall pattern (2 to 3 days of cold weather that passes), and I'd like everyone's opinion on what day is most likely to have bucks on their feet.

Thanks - R

1STRANGEWILDERNESS
500 Club

Re: weather question

Unread postby 1STRANGEWILDERNESS » Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:33 pm

I couldn’t say for sure but I want to say if the first drop is the most significant to hunt that.
Often I’m only able to hunt the tail end of the cold spell and the action still seems really good.
don’t be broadcasting when you should be tuning in
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:36 am

I have a 50 degree rule from here through the end of the season. If it's less than 50 I want to be in the woods. Above 50 I see significantly less deer movement. If the high is less than 50 I am considering hunting all day.

Exception is I often see great deer movement immediately in advance of a strong front, even its a little warmer.

While a front is coming through here even if it's colder, it's often misty and foggy up in higher elevations. I don't care much for those days.

Given a choice between the two, I'd take the second day usually because the first day often has that foggy/misty/cloudy element and clears out with a good North wind the second. But not always.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:26 am

I believe cooler is always better. Especially if it's the first time in the fall to have that particular lower temp. Both days can have good movement though. But one also has to be in a spot the deer are actually using. To see movement.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
milkweed-militia
500 Club
Facebook: Ross Brawner

Unread postby milkweed-militia » Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:17 am

stash59 wrote:I believe cooler is always better. Especially if it's the first time in the fall to have that particular lower temp. Both days can have good movement though. But one also has to be in a spot the deer are actually using. To see movement.

I've seen better deer movement overall with the cooler temps, but if you're close enough to the buck I believe you're going to see him move. Three of the best hunts I've ever had were last season right about this time of year, and the highs were in the low 90's. I saw my target buck all three times about an hour from last light, but I was within 75 to 100 yards of his bed. Don't let warmer temps keep you out of the woods, even though you might see more deer on the cooler days.
hoyt31786

Unread postby hoyt31786 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:44 pm

Id like to say that anytime theres a change in weather is a good time to hunt. Whether it be coldfronts,rain snow \ moisture, even a slight warmup after constant bitter cold, wind change from steady prevailing direction, overcast to high pressure blue bird skys vice versa. Generally i see alot of activity day or two leading up the the front and day or two after the front passes!
Huntress13
500 Club

Unread postby Huntress13 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:01 am

Watch the barometric pressure as well. Pressure going down in advance of a front, they will be feeding heavy. They don't know what kind of storm this might be, if they'll have to hunker down for awhile. Pressure going up after a front has passed, they will be out feeding, especially if it's after a day or two of really nasty weather. Adjust accordingly because if you're not hunting right on the food source and you're hunting the last couple hours of light, they may already have moved past your stand to go feed, or you can bump them out going in, they may move earlier to feed than you normally see them move.
Twigs in my hair, don't care.
Randyflash

Unread postby Randyflash » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:45 pm

For me, the best time to hunt is whenever you can... as long as it’s not a monsoon out, I’ll be in a tree...
UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:06 am

I wouldnt worry about weather, hunt when you can and go with it! Any day or temp is a good day to be in the woods! :dance:

Unless your hunting in a tornado :shock:
Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”