Rubs

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Do you see bucks rubbing on the way into or out of bed.

On the way in
11%
On the way out
34%
No correlation
55%

Total votes: 53
csoult
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/The-Open-Air-P ... 137422734/

Rubs

Unread postby csoult » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:19 am

Do you see bucks rubbing more on the way into or out of bed more?

Boogieman1
500 Club

Re: Rubs

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:40 am

I see more rubs heading to food but possibly cause at that time there traveling through more cover. Which is areas I spend more time scouting. Seems in my area the only morning to bed rubs I find are in open low areas. But I focus the majority of my rub efforts on breeding season where bucks are cutting and marking doe crossings.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Jdw
500 Club

Unread postby Jdw » Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:49 am

All the rubbing I have witnessed has been in the evening or at night.
Chuck B
500 Club

Unread postby Chuck B » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:13 pm

Great question. Would like to see more responses. I wonder how many would select “I don’t know” if that was an option.
If you aren't green and growing, you are ripe and rotting
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:16 pm

Combing through all my experiences I can remember I've seen bucks rubbing maybe 30ish times? I feel like I see it about every year, sometimes two or three times a year. I love that scenario when you see a tree shaking and can't see the buck yet, that is just the best. I want to say I see it more in the morning, but historically I tended to hunt tighter to bedding and have more success getting on bucks in the morning. Final answer, I don't think there is much of a correlation.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
Randyflash

Unread postby Randyflash » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:18 am

I think the question is a bit confusing... when scouting I see many more rubs headed into bedding than from it, I would suspect that this is because they normally only have a few exit trails and rub the same tree over and over, but they will enter bedding differently based on the wind so there’s more opportunity for rubbing different trees...however I’m not sure if you were asking if I have actually witnessed the rub being made???

If the latter is what you were shooting for then I’d have to say I’ve witnessed them rubbing more on the way out, but that is only because the majority of my hunts are evening sits.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:48 am

Why isn't both an option? I see plenty of them both ways, some seem more on the way too bed and other on the way out but I can't really say I see one more than the other overall.
Grasshopper

Unread postby Grasshopper » Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:37 am

I've seen them rubbing on the way in and out of bed. Also while following a doe around in the middle of the day. Plus the occasional deer that gets up out of bed rubs maybe eats a little and lays back down.
beddedbuck

Unread postby beddedbuck » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:45 am

We see equal amounts, on their way to bedding and their way from bedding.
beddedbuck

Unread postby beddedbuck » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:47 am

We see equal amounts, on their way to bedding and their way from bedding. For some reason we typically see larger rubs on the way back to bedding and the ribs coming from bedding seem to be smaller and skinnier trees.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:49 am

Most sign is made at night. I shot a buck once after he made a rub in the morning. So I voted morning . I have seen them rub in the evening to.
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:22 am

Thinking about rublines I've documented heading to/from somewhere, they've always sent TO bedding....aside from rut type stuff....
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:20 am

I think it's kinda like us when we have an itch. We just scratch it.

But with deer. It depends on what and why a buck gets in the mood. Did he just see or scent another buck, a doe. Is he just feeling frisky. Although maybe mature bucks make rubs with more of a purpose.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:02 pm

stash59 wrote:I think it's kinda like us when we have an itch. We just scratch it.

But with deer. It depends on what and why a buck gets in the mood. Did he just see or scent another buck, a doe. Is he just feeling frisky. Although maybe mature bucks make rubs with more of a purpose.

I think we are a lot more like deer than u gave us credit . It definitely matters to me what and why I'm scratching :lol:
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:58 pm

Without physically seeing the buck make a rub and then seeing where he ends up it is really impossible to answer. I have seen a few rub trees, mostly in the morning cruising for does between bedding. But a buck could rub a tree then walk the opposite direction so you don't know unless you see it. Or it could be two bucks rubbing a tree at the same time from two different directions lol.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”