Question about buck bedding

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Boogieman1
500 Club

Question about buck bedding

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:25 am

I know I don't hunt as much buck bedding as most of u guys ( on purpose atleast.) But I have jumped an awfully lot of bedded bucks in my day and I have also watched many bed down. However, I have never really kept up with year to year which buck is bedding where cause I typically don't hunt individual deer. I hunt either an age class or something that gets my heart rate up.

My question is how historical is buck bedding? It's said here a lot and I believe it that the best bucks take the best bedding. But do they also revert back to there honey holes from there younger days? Guess what I'm asking is if u watched a buck grow up and discovered his fav bedding areas at say 2.5 will he continue to still visit these same places as he matures or just totally cut bait and leave it and move to greenier pastures now that he moved up the pecking order?

Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Huntress13
500 Club

Re: Question about buck bedding

Unread postby Huntress13 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:11 am

Interesting question. In to hear opinions. I have a pretty good idea where this deer I shot last year was bedding. And thinking probably another decent one has moved into it's place. I haven't got eyes on one yet near there though from my set stand but it's just far enough that I wasn't seeing him before dark until the rut. I've been wanting to do a ground sneak closer to it, but there is still so much green foliage I wasn't confident I could find a place to shoot from. And not wanting to blow him out, I haven't attempted it.
:think:
Twigs in my hair, don't care.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:45 am

you will notice the pecking order in places with high deer numbers or limited bedding options. Not so much in places with lots of bedding and few deer.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:34 am

PK_ wrote:you will notice the pecking order in places with high deer numbers or limited bedding options. Not so much in places with lots of bedding and few deer.

Ya that makes sense and matches what I see around here. Only time pecking order really comes into play for me is when there is a doe in the woodlot that's getting close to ripe. Then I see the dominant bucks take the premo spots in reguards to doe bedding and travel.
-John Wayne-
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:39 am

Huntress13 wrote:Interesting question. In to hear opinions. I have a pretty good idea where this deer I shot last year was bedding. And thinking probably another decent one has moved into it's place. I haven't got eyes on one yet near there though from my set stand but it's just far enough that I wasn't seeing him before dark until the rut. I've been wanting to do a ground sneak closer to it, but there is still so much green foliage I wasn't confident I could find a place to shoot from. And not wanting to blow him out, I haven't attempted it.
:think:

Ground foliage is awful here as well. We had a very wet spring and summer. Can't wait for some frost to knock that stuff down. Under those thick early season conditions I typically don't do well. Even if I do everything right more times than not the buck appears right infront of me and the first thing I see is eyeballs. Not a good situation lol. Good luck with yours knock em dead
-John Wayne-
milkweed-militia
500 Club
Facebook: Ross Brawner

Unread postby milkweed-militia » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:04 am

I hope you get some good responses on this one.

I let a camera sit on a spot last year the entire season. It was a suspected bedding point that I never had the right wind to hunt last year. I went in to scout the area a month after season ended and jumped a mature buck out of the point. There were rubs from last season and historic rubs. The pictures showed that he had used the area while in velvet and on up until season ended. Not 100% consistent but he was there off and on (I'm assuming because of the available wind). I had the perfect wind for him to be there and for me to access the spot on Saturday but nobody was home.

After the wind picked up quite a bit, I came out and skimmed over the point. There are no new fresh rubs to be found. This is in hill country where 90% of the ground is timbered hills. I'm wondering if this buck (and others) don't have to use one specific bed as much because the options for bedding are a lot greater.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”