Injured doe question

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

tim
500 Club

Injured doe question

Unread postby tim » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:05 am

A mature doe showed up on my land in winter and has been around since. She holds her leg tucked under and doesn’t use it. She has a fawn so I’m guessing she was injured after as she has a tuff time walking. Had a video of fawn trying to suck and he had a tuff time due to her injury. So I’m thinking there is no way she is going to be able to stand if/when a buck tries to top her when she comes into heat. Is she going to cause mass chaos while in heat with no buck being able to breed her? The main question I have is do ...do you think these bucks will kill her if she don’t stand for them?????these bucks can get very aggressive.

Whitetailaddict
500 Club

Re: Injured doe question

Unread postby Whitetailaddict » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:17 am

Deer are really resilient animals so you may be surprised. Personally whenever I see an injured deer in bad shape I usually try to take them out myself. I'd be more concerned with coyotes or other predators instead of rut crazed bucks. Seems a quick death by arrow or bullet would be a lot better than being hamstrung by a predator.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:58 am

Sounds like she’s having a real rough time. Eventually the predators will kill her. As much as I don’t care to shoot does I would be on a mission to put her out of her misery.
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:05 am

I’ve only sat a couple sits out there this year. I thought I’d see her right away as much as she lives right there but nothing yet. I’m also surprised she hasn’t been taken down by predators yet.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:15 am

Three legged deer can do just fine. My uncle shot a little buck with a front leg curled up and locked that way. He could get along fine. He had plenty of fat on him during WI gun season too. He was healthy. Just saying, that doe might be in a different situation health wise.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:43 am

Agree with matt. 3 legged deer look spastic when walking/moving slow. Get em running and it will be hard to tell they're injured. Not sure on the breeding. Or how aggressive the bucks would get if they can't breed her. I have heard stories of bucks trying to breed just killed does. :confusion-shrug:
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
cspot
500 Club

Unread postby cspot » Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:39 am

I had a doe several years back that stayed in a small woodlot across from my house. Her one back leg was dangling either from a gun wound or hit by a car. It was after season, but several times I thought about putting her our of her misery. She stayed in that woodlot most of the time. Every few days I would say that I would give her some more time and then do it. She survived and that dangling leg healed and was actually permanently across her other back leg and caused her issues when she walked as they would hit together. She raised 2 fawns that summer. That fall I could have taken her a couple of times, but I always passed her. Just couldn't do it after she made it thru that. When she ran you would have never known she was injured though.

Long story short I would let mother nature take its course. Now if you want to take a doe from their and she presents you a shot then you may want to take her. Wouldn't surprise me if she doesn't get taken in season that she will have fawn(s) come next year. Those deer are tough critters.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:00 pm

Missionary... ;)
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
cspot
500 Club

Unread postby cspot » Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:16 pm

Edcyclopedia wrote:Missionary... ;)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”