Couple of first/aha moment

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dewayne

Couple of first/aha moment

Unread postby dewayne » Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:15 am

In my second year of beast hunting I’ve experienced a couple
of new things. Yesterday I went in for a first time sit with a NNW wind and bumped a buck off of..... you guessed it the leeward side of the hill. I didn’t spook him to bad as so I was almost certain he went ~100yards and bedded down. I didn’t get a solid look at him but I could tell he had good length on his main beams so I picked out a tree and set up close to where I thought I went in. So I sat for a little over two hours and nothing, at 6:22 I looked my watch and said I’ll stay until 6:30 and I got to go. 6:30 comes and nothing. I lower my bow, drop my top stick to the ground, take off my next stick, look up and here he comes at 15 yards and starts eating acorns :doh: At this point I’m two sticks high and standing the middle peg of my LW stick and that has to be the most uncomfortable thing ever, and all I do is stand and watch. I probably wouldn’t have shot him after getting a better look, he was definitely a stud 2.5y/o and there are better bucks in the area. To end on a question even though I didn’t shoot this deer could I classify this as a bump and dump?

Brokenarrow1980
500 Club

Re: Couple of first/aha moment

Unread postby Brokenarrow1980 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:25 am

Ya bumped him but didn't dump him lol
It's all fun and games till someone looses an eye..... then its just fun
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:09 am

I recounted something similar Live From the Field and my journal. For me, it was a bedding lesson and my gut told me to set up and my brain eventually overruled it. The buck showed back up where I was going to set up.

Learning experience.

Also, see Lockdowns post about not packing up early. ;)
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
buttonbuck
500 Club

Unread postby buttonbuck » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:22 am

dewayne wrote:In my second year of beast hunting I’ve experienced a couple
of new things. Yesterday I went in for a first time sit with a NNW wind and bumped a buck off of..... you guessed it the leeward side of the hill. I didn’t spook him to bad as so I was almost certain he went ~100yards and bedded down. I didn’t get a solid look at him but I could tell he had good length on his main beams so I picked out a tree and set up close to where I thought I went in. So I sat for a little over two hours and nothing, at 6:22 I looked my watch and said I’ll stay until 6:30 and I got to go. 6:30 comes and nothing. I lower my bow, drop my top stick to the ground, take off my next stick, look up and here he comes at 15 yards and starts eating acorns :doh: At this point I’m two sticks high and standing the middle peg of my LW stick and that has to be the most uncomfortable thing ever, and all I do is stand and watch. I probably wouldn’t have shot him after getting a better look, he was definitely a stud 2.5y/o and there are better bucks in the area. To end on a question even though I didn’t shoot this deer could I classify this as a bump and dump?

I'm not an expert. But I have taken some advice from Warren Womack on staying in your stand till absolute dark every sit. I have had many encounters now living by that rule. About the only thing that would get me out of a set up early is wind shifts or erratic wind.

Look up Warren's podcasts on you tube. There great. https://youtu.be/JFharFHKEDs
dewayne

Unread postby dewayne » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:48 am

Brokenarrow1980 wrote:Ya bumped him but didn't dump him lol

Lol definitely no dump
dewayne

Unread postby dewayne » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:52 am

greenhorndave wrote:I recounted something similar Live From the Field and my journal. For me, it was a bedding lesson and my gut told me to set up and my brain eventually overruled it. The buck showed back up where I was going to set up.

Learning experience.

I’m hunting on a military base and we have to be signed out by certain time every day, if not we are bared from hunting for two weeks and I didn’t want to chance not be able to hunt this week.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:18 am

dewayne wrote:
greenhorndave wrote:I recounted something similar Live From the Field and my journal. For me, it was a bedding lesson and my gut told me to set up and my brain eventually overruled it. The buck showed back up where I was going to set up.

Learning experience.

I’m hunting on a military base and we have to be signed out by certain time every day, if not we are bared from hunting for two weeks and I didn’t want to chance not be able to hunt this week.

Well, not the best situation, but I guess it's a little better knowing that it's beyond your control to have an earlier closing time.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
dewayne

Unread postby dewayne » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:28 am

greenhorndave wrote:
dewayne wrote:

Learning experience.

Well, not the best situation, but I guess it's a little better knowing that it's beyond your control to have an earlier closing time.

Yeah I definitely would have stuck it out until dark.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”