Is my route/set up the problem?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

crackehelmet

Is my route/set up the problem?

Unread postby crackehelmet » Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:12 pm

Wold anyone mind critiquing my route and set up for this hunt? The blue dotted lines following the east side of the point are my route in. The straight line is where my phone was off on the way out and the loop was me discovering that the compass function on my phone is broken. I had a southwest, steady wind with strong gusts and some freezing precipitation (not snow flakes, but not quite ice either. tiny snow pellets) I was in my stand by 4 pm and shooting hours ended at 7: 05 PM. It was my quietest approach (This is my second year deer hunting. First year bow hunting) and quietest set up. Not silent but I felt really good about it and I had pretty significant wind noise cover. I set up over converging trails near an Oak still dropping acorns. Acorns are dropping through the whole point and the fields to the south still have standing corn planted.

All that is to say I felt good about the spot, and I felt good about the set up but didn't see anything and didn't hear anything. I've been throwing up multiple stands a week (different place every time) and have yet to see or hear anything. I'm not targeting bucks specifically and would be just as happy to see a doe. Can anyone call out any obvious errors I made on entry or spot selection for this sit?

Boogieman1
500 Club

Re: Is my route/set up the problem?

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:51 pm

IMO if just seeing any deer up close and personal would put a smile on your face. Go in early afternoon and give yourself plenty of time. Find the oak that u believe is getting pounded more than any other and set up shop downwind in bow range.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Bogle

Unread postby Bogle » Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:53 pm

Have you seen deer sign and/or deer in this area? If so, have you checked the point to the east and the islands to the north east? There also seems to be a funnel going between the fields if anything is planted during late season. Regardless, it looks like you will know after a few sits.
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:29 pm

You setup is good assuming theres a buck(s) on bedding on the point, but if the area gets any pressure they probably arent. They're probably more likely in the areas circled in red.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
crackehelmet

Unread postby crackehelmet » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:36 pm

Boogieman1 wrote:IMO if just seeing any deer up close and personal would put a smile on your face. Go in early afternoon and give yourself plenty of time. Find the oak that u believe is getting pounded more than any other and set up shop downwind in bow range.

It really would. I've got a bonus doe tag so that I can shoot whatever shows up and not lock myself out of a buck for the season, but I really just want to see something in the flesh. I'm worried about there being acorns left after the cold snap that came through this weekend.

Bogle wrote:Have you seen deer sign and/or deer in this area? If so, have you checked the point to the east and the islands to the north east? There also seems to be a funnel going between the fields if anything is planted during late season. Regardless, it looks like you will know after a few sits.

Deer sign in the area is well traveled trails running down the point and branching in from the marsh on either side. From the stand I identified a rub line, but it hasn't opened up yet this year (I actually haven't seen any active rubs in any marshes yet this year). We had a recent rainfall and there were deer tracks in the soft (not quite muddy) ground. There is a good mix of freshly fallen acorns and busted shells, but I don't know enough about that to be able to tell if a deer was chomping them vs some other woodland critter.

That point to the east is on private land, (The private extends up from the field to the south to the point of the arrow I drew) as are the two fields. The thin strip of woods between the fields is easement access to the WMA. I haven't gone out to any of the islands, because they're not particularly big and I thought that the deer would be bedding there and moving to the point near sundown. Am I misunderstanding what deer are using the islands for in the marsh?

seazofcheeze wrote:You setup is good assuming theres a buck(s) on bedding on the point, but if the area gets any pressure they probably arent. They're probably more likely in the areas circled in red.

The area definitely has pressure. Small game hunters and I saw reflector tacks in some of the trees on the way in. The tacks were only about a quarter of the way up the point though. That was part of why I went as far as I did up the point on my first trip there. I would have otherwise been tempted to sit on trail convergences on some oaks more toward the best of the point.

Looking at your red circles I would have thought that deer from the the two on the left would be coming to the point based off the trails in the cattails. I've attached a clip where the trails are clearer below. Is this too far for them to travel during shooting hours?

Thanks for your replies guys. I'm working my but off to see a deer this season and I really appreciate the help. Even talked my boss into letting me off at noon on Fridays for bow season so I get an extra sit per week.
sbrcher

Unread postby sbrcher » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:46 am

The problem is likely pressure from other hunters since that spot is only about 300-400 yards from the parking lot. You may need to find an overlooked area or find a spot further from the parking lots. I'm familiar with this area so feel free to PM me if you want to discuss potential areas to hunt.
botemple

Unread postby botemple » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:07 am

There may be trails there, but they may not be getting used during season due to hunting pressure. I would maybe look around on those trails for any kind of fresh sign (droppings, tracks, fresh rubs, fresh scrapes). If you don't see the fresh sign, I would move in deeper and check out those islands. If you watch any of Dan's videos, he just keeps moving in deeper and deeper until he finds what he is looking for.
crackehelmet

Unread postby crackehelmet » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:32 pm

I posted instead of PMing, and I don't know if I can delete a post, so editing!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”