Oops! I really messed up!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

seuss79

Oops! I really messed up!

Unread postby seuss79 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:00 am

Yep, you got that right. Drove an hour to my primary hunting grounds last night. I got about 5 minutes from the sign and shack. Turned around. And you know what I forgot? I forgot my bow! So an hour drive back home and that ended the night.

Tufrthnails
500 Club

Re: Oops! I really messed up!

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:02 am

Hahaha that is rough bud! I’ve forgot my release before but never my bow.
Tuf- The below average hunting beast
Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Unread postby Tim H » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:03 am

Yep, that's a mistake you won't make again!
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:05 am

Ah man!!! Yup that bites :doh:
keepthefevercalls

Unread postby keepthefevercalls » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:09 am

Never done that but I have left my shotgun a half mile back in the woods before because I was so excited about killing a gobbler. I have also left my deer rifle leaning up against the truck and drove off. :shock:
Hook's Custom Calls Pro-Staff

Romans 3:24
BackCoverBowHunter

Unread postby BackCoverBowHunter » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:26 am

That's the worst!! :doh:
I did the same type of thing in high school... My buddy and I were headed out to go snowboarding. He picked me up at my house we loaded my gear into his Burban and off we went... when we got to the resort my snowboard boots were not in there... They were still sitting in my driveway... Luckily, I just rented a board for the night and beat the heck out of it HAHA.. It is only a mistake I made once though... I also now have OCD for checklists before I go anywhere now. :lol:
Extreme Effort Only
BorealBushMN

Unread postby BorealBushMN » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:43 am

That's a d'Oh! moment for sure! But I think I got ya beat.... It was a few years ago in late October, like the 28th I think. I was set up for a morning sit and the wind just wasn't cooperating so I got down early. I hustled back to the truck to go to a completely different spot. When I got to the truck, I put my bow on the top of my topper and peeled off a few layers of clothing for the drive (as I do all of the time). I closed the topper, climbed in the truck and began to drive off. Well, as soon as I began picking up speed down the gravel road, I started hearing some knocking sounds and heard something break loose from my truck. I looked in my rear view mirror to see WTH that noise was, only to see my bow violently spinning down the road in my dust..... :doh: :o :cry:

Needless to say, that put an end to my bow season that year......
Randyflash

Unread postby Randyflash » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:01 am

I misplaced my tuxedo the day before my wedding but I’ve never screwed up bad enough to forget my bow at home. Smh :naughty:

:lol:
treeroot
500 Club

Unread postby treeroot » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:31 am

Lost my wedding ring a week after I was married. Wife found it in the lawn the next spring. Almost 10 years later and I still hear about it.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:49 am

I once found a rusted to heck 12 ga pump shotgun leaning against a tree while doing a field assessment at work. Wonder what kind of story that gun could tell if it could speak.
Ill_make_you_famous

Unread postby Ill_make_you_famous » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:42 am

So I wasn’t going to tell the inter web my story but since you posted yours I’ll go ahead with mine.
My opener was going to be a couple Saturdays ago. Typically I get all my stuff in the truck the night before so I’m not in a hurry when I leave because I make mistakes when I’m in a hurry.
Well I didn’t put my stuff in the truck so I was in a rush, got everything in the truck, get in the truck and look for my keys..... not in my pocket, not in my pack, not in my truck seat, nowhere. Well I knew then that I left them in the house and I had locked the house when I went out the door. Tried the doorbell, no answer, didn’t want to bang on the window, figured it was better to have the wife laugh at me than be mad. and her phone ringer was off. So my opening morning was me sitting on my front porch drinking coffee, waiting for the family to wake up. Good times.
CChunter

Unread postby CChunter » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:31 am

Opening day of last year was my first hunt with a lock on and sticks so needless to say I was out of my element. Walked in about a mile, hung all of my sticks and then went up with my stand. When I took the stand off my back was when I realized I hadn’t brought the straps for the stand. Disappointing to say the least but still seen a few deer from the ground. After dark I make the mile walk back out and pack everything back up in my car in the dark and Head home. That was Saturday evening. Well Monday morning rolls around and I’m getting ready to head out for some mid morning scouting when I realize my bow isn’t in my truck. Instantly panicking I run in the house and look but my fear is correct. I left it laying beside my car Saturday evening. Go back and look and it’s already gone. With a week off from work I figure I have to buy another one so off I go to the nearest bass pro an hour away and buy a bow I didn’t even like. Luckily 2 weeks later a message about a found bow makes its way around Facebook and finally back to me. Knew the guy well that had found it riding horses the day after I’d left it. Lucky to say the least and definitely a rough way to start a season.
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:20 pm

I forgot all my hunting clothes and boots once for a january hunt. Yeah I turned around and went home too. It happens
"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:51 pm

I’ve had multiple setbacks similar to everyone else’s stories. I’ve forgotten boots and hunted in house slippers. I even duct taped them to my foot for a snug fit. They were quiet walking in but got drafty quick in the stand. They were also slick and hard to climb leaf covered hills in.

Ive had my muzzleloader misfire and wouldn’t shoot. I was 1 1/2 hours away from home and had planned to spend the night. Now, I keep my spare bow, 1 arrow with broadhead and my backup release behind the back seat of my truck for just in case, all season long. I’m only good to about 25-30 yards with it but it’s killed a handful of deer in its day.

It gives me an option to keep hunting and stay positive!
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
seuss79

Unread postby seuss79 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:24 pm

Wasn't really planning on going out that day. Last minute decision and was off work. I was focused on my saddle pack in and trying to get that squared away. I added a Molle frame for more comfort. Looked at the bow in the garage, grabbed the hydration pack and filled it. Walked back out with everything loaded minus the bow. Thought I had it all. Never again. 1st year getting back into it after 5 or 6 years. I need to get my system set up. I'm getting closer.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”