Temperature drop bucks back to bed later?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

hcooper84

Temperature drop bucks back to bed later?

Unread postby hcooper84 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:16 am

My area is experiencing nearly a 40 degree temperature drop from today to saturday morning. The morning is supposed to be 33 degrees with a wind chill of 28. This will be the first day all season it has dipped below 45. Its been very rainy yesterday and today as well. I believe the buck I am after is getting into bed before daylight. Could this temperature swing cause him to stay up a little later in the morning? Or do they usually only stay out a later close to/during the rut?

Johnny-6-fingers

Re: Temperature drop bucks back to bed later?

Unread postby Johnny-6-fingers » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:51 am

I was wondering the same thing. Decided to hunt the first morning after the temps dropped around 20⁰. The buck I was after came through 70 yards from my setup. Still not sure if the increased activity was strictly due to the weather but I'm glad I went out.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:17 pm

interesting question. It actually got me out for the first time this morning.

Ever since learning about dan about 11 years ago I gave up, mostly, on morning hunts in early Oct. But since I haven't been out and was up early thought I would stretch my legs.

Full moon setting at sunup, 41 degrees, stiff SW wind, I thought I would check things out. A ground hunt and nothing seen. I would have liked that moon overheard at about sunrise. Probably in a few days it will still have some light and have the overhead magic.

Was thinking they were out all night here with clear skies and plenty of moon light and early to bed
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
hcooper84

Unread postby hcooper84 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:56 am

I think I may reconsider morning hunts myself. I believe I have spooked a nice buck each of the two mornings I have hunted. The first morning i got in a two hours before daylight to setup up over bedding. I figured two hours was early enough to beat him to his bed. I was wrong. The other day when this huge temperature drop came I decided to morning hunt again. I did decide to hunt along the bedding and a standing corn field to prevent jumping him from his bed. Well this time I jumped him in the standing corn I access the bedding area by. These deer seem to unpredictable in the morning during this time of year.
hcooper84

Unread postby hcooper84 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:58 am

I think I'll use mornings as more of an observation sit in easy access areas. Until it gets closer to the rut atleast.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:59 am

Maybe I the south, I have just been setup over bedding and had too many of them come back 1 to 1.5 hours before first light. The 1.5's always catch me setting up. :lol:
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:06 am

I think it has to do more with time of year then temperature.
I think conditions helps also with timing. Cloudy , rainy days along with moon phase to a degree.

I don't think lower temps is going to hurt your chances in any way. Some of my best bucks I've killed in the Am so I'm a huge fan of hunting mornings.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
hcooper84

Unread postby hcooper84 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:04 pm

My biggest buck has also been in the AM and Ive had a lot of encounters in the morning. However, it seems they have mostly been during the chasing a rut phases. Hoping to figure out alot this year. This will be the first year ive been aggressive hunting and the first year I am keeping a deer log. Need to put this engineering school to use and find some analytic trends. :D

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”