Oxbow advice

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

218er
500 Club

Oxbow advice

Unread postby 218er » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:09 am

I recently gained access to hunt about an 11 acre parcel of land for a three day metro park hunt the end of this month. There is a creek that meanders through the property eventually joining a major river system. My section is bordering a road to the west, bike / hike trails on the north and east, and a powerline grassy area to the south. I have limited experience hunting flood plains and creeks. Usually I’d look for crossings and or pinch points due to the dates being prime pre rut. I’ve mentally broken the zone into a few acre blocks and I intend to scout extensively before the hunt but I thought I’d throw it out to the beast community. It seems a lot of members mention oxbows, bedding, and such in possibly similar scenarios. Any advice, suggestions, or examples of any experiences would much appreciated. See included photo.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Persistence is undefeated.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Re: Oxbow advice

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:53 am

With it almost half way through Oct one of my favorite strategies is to set up on the mouth of oxbows to catch cruising bucks. Most deer (male and female) like to bed inside the oxbow with a favorable wind (blowing into the oxbow). I like to set up on the mouth of the oxbow tight to one side or the other (usually based upon the wind. Two reasons.

1) Bedded deer in the oxbow will typically come in and out with what ever wind advantage they can get (meaning to one side or the other). Mature bucks will typically go into and come out of an oxbow bed on the side that is slightly downwind (most of the time wind does not blow straight down the oxbow). By setting up at the oxbow mouth, you have a great opportunity to shoo the funnel and kill any buck coming into/out of the oxbow to bed.

2) Mature bucks love to cruise across the oxbow mouth to cut fresh doe tracks going into the oxbow to bed. So this is a great morning set up as you can use the river for access, pop up on the bank to one side or the other and set up on the faint trail bucks use at the oxbow opening. It is a funnel and it also gives them a great opportunity to cut the track of any hot doe in known bedding. it also has the wind advantage to alert them from danger. It is almost fool proof and it is a great cruising strategy. Bucks can and will use these faint trails throughout the day depending on the cover. Depending on how wide and deep the river/creek is there is also some thermal activity you can often manipulate to further enhance this set up.
Randyflash

Unread postby Randyflash » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:25 am

DaveT1963 wrote:With it almost half way through Oct one of my favorite strategies is to set up on the mouth of oxbows to catch cruising bucks. Most deer (male and female) like to bed inside the oxbow with a favorable wind (blowing into the oxbow). I like to set up on the mouth of the oxbow tight to one side or the other (usually based upon the wind. Two reasons.

1) Bedded deer in the oxbow will typically come in and out with what ever wind advantage they can get (meaning to one side or the other). Mature bucks will typically go into and come out of an oxbow bed on the side that is slightly downwind (most of the time wind does not blow straight down the oxbow). By setting up at the oxbow mouth, you have a great opportunity to shoo the funnel and kill any buck coming into/out of the oxbow to bed.

2) Mature bucks love to cruise across the oxbow mouth to cut fresh doe tracks going into the oxbow to bed. So this is a great morning set up as you can use the river for access, pop up on the bank to one side or the other and set up on the faint trail bucks use at the oxbow opening. It is a funnel and it also gives them a great opportunity to cut the track of any hot doe in known bedding. it also has the wind advantage to alert them from danger. It is almost fool proof and it is a great cruising strategy. Bucks can and will use these faint trails throughout the day depending on the cover. Depending on how wide and deep the river/creek is there is also some thermal activity you can often manipulate to further enhance this set up.

Awesome tips :clap:
218er
500 Club

Unread postby 218er » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:02 pm

I’m definitely going to incorporate these strategies. Seems very logical. Thank you for passing along the knowledge!
Persistence is undefeated.
Kevin2

Unread postby Kevin2 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:42 am

I just cyber scouted three rivers near me. I’m gonna try to go speed scout at least one of them this week. If I can’t find anything on that river, then I’ll go to the next. It sounds like a great way to hunt. Any other tips about locating deer in these oxbow?
"Hunt and let Hunt" my new saying...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”