Discussion: Can you kill a mature buck off a midnight picture

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Brian1986

Re: Discussion: Can you kill a mature buck off a midnight picture

Unread postby Brian1986 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:42 pm

During the Nov 4-18 time frame if I get a mature buck alone on camera in a doe bedding area no matter what time of day/night I know that buck will be with a hot doe that day. So 2 days later he will be on the prowl for the next one. I have a lot of good hunts hunting the spot I got the picture 2 days later.

hunter10
500 Club

Unread postby hunter10 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:59 pm

Good replies so far. What about outside the rut time frame. Let’s say you want to Get him but he showed up early or late season and you have tried all the known bedding areas on your piece of land. Now can you say forsure he doesn’t live there or did you later find out you were just not in the right area of your property
Ranger Matthews

Unread postby Ranger Matthews » Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:49 am

Definitely! But it’s going to have to be in the rut. Doesn’t normally work in the early season. An area I hunt I only get nighttime pics except for a 5 day window during the rut. Those 5 days haven’t changed for 10 years and I assume is timed when the local does coming into estrous in the valley I hunt. The does in each different valley seem to have there different cycles timed and the bucks spend time in one valley and then move onto the next one. This is an example of one of those bucks. Sat the same tree 6 days all day. Had does everywhere and I had a bulletproof set up where I wasn’t spooking any deer. He finally came in chasing does right at closing time.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:07 am

yes and no. That depends on a ton of other factors. And one of them being the skill and knowledge of who is looking at that pic. Knowing he is in the area can often be the last clue needed for someone that knows the area well and where the buck bedding is. On the other hand, 1000 pics in the hands of someone with little ability to analyze and think wont do much good.
Evanszach7
500 Club

Unread postby Evanszach7 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:46 pm

It depends... Ive been getting cell cam pics of a few bucks on a primary scrape, thats in a heavily pressured funnel. Most pics are between midnight and 4a. Passed a good buck 150 yards from that funnel yesterday. Its farm country where you get a good idea of the following days bedding depending on the entry and exit direction when hitting the licking branch.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:19 pm

Of course you can! Heck u can kill one with no pic at all. Point being every pic is a clue now what u take away from that clue will make or break it. For me it comes down to figuring out why that buck is standing infront of my camera. If I can figure that out, then I can make a plan.

I pay attention and take note of anything of interest in terms of buck activity day or night. One of my fav things to do on a property I don't know is walk around 45 to a hour b4 daylight right at the start of the pre rut and try to jump bedded bucks. Sometimes u can get incredibly close if the wind is right. They just let u walk right by. Once I find em, I go back after daylight and analyze what he was doing there. Have found some of my best rut spots this way
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”