Have you ever stopped hunting a buck?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

AfootTrack56

Have you ever stopped hunting a buck?

Unread postby AfootTrack56 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:58 am

I’ve been chasing a particular buck since December 2014. He was big then, and he’s still big, but on the decline. The problem is he spends 95% of his time on land I can’t hunt. The good thing is, there is zero hunting pressure where he lives and virtually zero pressure on the public. It’s super low deer density in this area. I’m talking 6 deer. Two are bucks and four does. It’s a pretty tough nut to crack.

My question is, would you leave em to hunt something else? I’m throwing a few hunts at it each fall, when the weather is right, and usually hunt a higher populated area with very nice bucks the rest of the time.

stash59

Re: Have you ever stopped hunting a buck?

Unread postby stash59 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:08 am

Though the odds are low. You definitely won't kill it if you don't try. Kind of a personal thing if you feel it's a waste of time. On the other hand spending more time might be when you finally catch him where he can be killed.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
AfootTrack56

Unread postby AfootTrack56 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:41 am

Yeah, the odds are definitely low, but I keep trying it. I figure he’ll die of old age or he’ll get a ride in my truck. I’m thinking this fall is gonna be the time we cross paths. There are too many dominos falling into place so far. We had three rainstorms fall on the same spot in the area. That’s got the best feed now, and it’s been really dry. Limited water sources really narrow things down. I have the fawn drop pegged, so it’s looking like Christmas time, or mid to late January as prime times. My buddy threw in the towel 3 years ago. I just can’t tap out. This deer isnt getting a free pass.

Here he is in 2015
F5932930-3F48-41B9-9363-A5615F1A06B7.jpeg

The last time I swapped batteries he was back with his partner in crime.
E28C5E65-B392-48E0-9268-78AA77817812.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:59 am

I have one that has roughed me up for years as well. I only got 8 acres of his home range and get about 2 pics per season. I don't give up but I have realistic expectations and don't hold my breath. I throw a sit or 2 a year at him and press on. Sometimes just by the nature of access they have us whooped
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
blackwidow
500 Club

Unread postby blackwidow » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:43 am

I feel your pain. I've been hunting a buck since 2015. I have watched him since 2013, when he was a 2.5 year old. Our paths have crossed some, but it just hasn't all come together yet. I feel like this is the year though. There aren't very many other mature bucks on the property that he lives at, and as time goes on his core area continues to shrink. And this may sound crazy, but I've entertained the thought of not even wanting to shoot him if I get the chance. I think I'd almost be sad to see him gone. Either way, it's been a fun journey with him all these years. Pretty cool to watch a buck over the course of nearly his whole life.
austin1990
500 Club

Unread postby austin1990 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:54 am

Nope, but just ask my wife and she'll tell you I'm stubborn lol I'd definitely try him a few times. I'm currently on year 3 of the chase after the same buck, got a solid plan for this season though!
Elite
500 Club

Unread postby Elite » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:14 am

I did this year. I was hunting a 10 point for three years prior to moving on this year. I hit him high and forward in 2016 as a 3 y/o but he lived. In 2017 as a 4 y/o I hit him on the opposite side at 28 yards on oct 29 but never found blood or him. Got pictures of him around Thanksgiving. I played cat and mouse with him in 2018 as a 5 y/o, got dozens of pictures of him, but he never showed himself. The landowner died at 103 last May and I had my son early August. I found one of his sheds last spring when I went to the property to pull my stands. It was a bittersweet moment. This spot was 2 hours away from home and with 2 kids and the landowner passing away, I tipped my hat to him. I guess I was never meant to kill that buck. It pains me to think I gave up on a potential booner this year but I had to...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
treeroot
500 Club

Unread postby treeroot » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:12 pm

I've been chasing the same one since 15. In 17 I botched a shot and missed clean. He lives where I can't go, and out of the 27 acres I have access to he uses about 2 setting up for doe traffic. Last year he never crossed the property line while I was there, but I did see him cross in the brush. If he lived I'm sure he's on the decline by now.
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:21 pm

Any chance on gaining permission to hunt where he is?
"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"
AfootTrack56

Unread postby AfootTrack56 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:06 pm

may21581 wrote:Any chance on gaining permission to hunt where he is?

I’ve tried to get permission to hunt there, but it’s tribal land. And of course, I wasn’t granted access. He’d be dead in a few days if I could hunt that side of the fence.
AfootTrack56

Unread postby AfootTrack56 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:09 pm

Elite wrote:I did this year. I was hunting a 10 point for three years prior to moving on this year. I hit him high and forward in 2016 as a 3 y/o but he lived. In 2017 as a 4 y/o I hit him on the opposite side at 28 yards on oct 29 but never found blood or him. Got pictures of him around Thanksgiving. I played cat and mouse with him in 2018 as a 5 y/o, got dozens of pictures of him, but he never showed himself. The landowner died at 103 last May and I had my son early August. I found one of his sheds last spring when I went to the property to pull my stands. It was a bittersweet moment. This spot was 2 hours away from home and with 2 kids and the landowner passing away, I tipped my hat to him. I guess I was never meant to kill that buck. It pains me to think I gave up on a potential booner this year but I had to...

Dang, that’s some hard luck. Especially with it nearly coming together twice.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”