Bedding area setup

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

W_ky_archer

Bedding area setup

Unread postby W_ky_archer » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:18 am

Question for you guys. I've found a mature buck bedding area after season last year and watched this deer during the summer to confirm he's still around. His primary beds are up on some little high points in the woods overlooking a flat. My question is, would you setup right over this deer's bed or hunt down in the flat to catch him coming to/from the bed. I've attached a picture of where his beds are.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Failing to prepare is preparing to fail
may21581
500 Club

Re: Bedding area setup

Unread postby may21581 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:19 am

What is the predominant wind?
"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:26 am

W_ky_archer wrote:Question for you guys. I've found a mature buck bedding area after season last year and watched this deer during the summer to confirm he's still around. His primary beds are up on some little high points in the woods overlooking a flat. My question is, would you setup right over this deer's bed or hunt down in the flat to catch him coming to/from the bed. I've attached a picture of where his beds are.

I would ask, when you confirmed he was still around... did you confirm via visual eyes on the buck or trailcams? If eyes on, where were you seeing him. If by trail cam, were the pictures in daylight close to this bedding area?

If you are seeing him in the flats during daylight hours, or anywhere as matter of fact during daylight hours, then I would concentrate on those areas. If you are getting night time pics, but you are certain he is bedding in the two bedding spots noted, then I would hunt him on that elevation under the winds that puts him into those beds.

If you suspect he is dropping in the evenings once he exits the beds, that can be a little tougher, but very doable. You will just need to be sure and play the thermals so he doesnt catch your scent while thermals are rising. You can get away with hunting below if you stay out of the rising thermals. or do a quick setup and hunt the last hour or so when the thermals are falling.

If you map is set as true north on top, the red bed looks to be WNW to NW and maybe under N winds. The blue bed could be used under all the easterly winds I would assume.

Good luck on your sits for him
W_ky_archer

Unread postby W_ky_archer » Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:26 pm

may21581 wrote:What is the predominant wind?

From sitting in the beds I believe the aqua pin is E wind bed and red pin is N wind
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:15 am

Kind of hard to tell just based on just beds found. There are alot of variables to your question. There are several things you need to ask yourself and then a boots on the ground approach with some observation stands should be in the mix.
1.) Have you located any of the primary food sources for thos area close to the beds?

2.) Have you or do you know where the primary doe bedding is located?

3.) Have you located any yearly primary scrape areas and major travel hubs for the local herds?

4.) Have you located any past sign in the general area to tip you off when he may be using these beds?

5.) When, how, why he uses these beds?

6.) Do you utilize trailcams in the general area? What time does he show? Wind direction, temp moon phase, weather any other factors that are over looked?
"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"
Stingray713
500 Club

Unread postby Stingray713 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:54 am

may21581 wrote:Kind of hard to tell just based on just beds found. There are alot of variables to your question. There are several things you need to ask yourself and then a boots on the ground approach with some observation stands should be in the mix.
1.) Have you located any of the primary food sources for thos area close to the beds?

2.) Have you or do you know where the primary doe bedding is located?

3.) Have you located any yearly primary scrape areas and major travel hubs for the local herds?

4.) Have you located any past sign in the general area to tip you off when he may be using these beds?

5.) When, how, why he uses these beds?

6.) Do you utilize trailcams in the general area? What time does he show? Wind direction, temp moon phase, weather any other factors that are over looked?

Man, hunting big old bucks is hard :lol:
Strategically Inefficient
treeroot
500 Club

Unread postby treeroot » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:12 pm

The 8,000 details needed to up the odds.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”