Accepting Mission Impossible

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Jurist

Accepting Mission Impossible

Unread postby Jurist » Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:54 pm

After reading and listening to the posts and podcasts and youtube HB with Joe and Dan and Mario. I have decided to take on the mission.

First I have to find a BUCK to hunt... I have never been a shiner, and most of the places I hunt don't have any field near or on them.

I spent all day driving around different public areas and drove 100+ miles.

Found a few places that I am going to put up observation stands 30+ feet up to watch some big areas with island of trees.

I have accepted that this may take 3 years to pull off.. Am I wrong?

"We know they are lying,
they know they are lying,
they know we know they are lying,
we know they know we know they are lying,
but they are still lying."
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Jackson Marsh

Re: Accepting Mission Impossible

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:13 pm

Hard to say. Depends on the caliber of buck you are after and the area you are hunting. If it's a booner type buck you are after, I'd say that's a tough nut to crack. Good luck with your quest.
Wide 9

Unread postby Wide 9 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:52 pm

Jurist, observations are great ways to find big bucks early season. However, most big bucks are not going to hit that observation field until after dark when you can no longer see. So sometimes you can burn days that could be utilized for hunting instead of the observation. Another option is just to really start to learn how big bucks live, travel and work. Identify big buck locations. Now if this was easy everyone would do it. However, I have locations that either from history I know big bucks live or the "recipe" including remoteness, food source, cover, etc. can is a natural design to grow a big buck. Knowing what you learn from here, you just go in and set up on the best guesstimation of where he will be, especially if you see hot sign. Sometimes I see people disturb and bump a mature buck trying to find him, instead of utilizing high probability of increased odds on where he might be especially during the season.

However, if you have the time, shining is a great way to find big bucks and select observation sits as well. Just be careful that you don't judge a property on a sit or a shining experience totally. Even if you observe nothing, there can be a big one on that property. He maybe didn't show up during the observation sit or he came out and was back in the cover before you went shining. If the shining and observation sits will not affect travel, than you have nothing to lose.However, if they possibly could, than its stand on the back and set up on the first hot sign.

Personally I shine and observe those small woodlots that could possibly have a shooter, and trust the big buck recipe for larger tracts and just go in with stand on the back. Than of course scout like a fiend in late winter.

Good Luck.
Jurist

Unread postby Jurist » Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:56 pm

Jackson Marsh wrote:Hard to say. Depends on the caliber of buck you are after and the area you are hunting. If it's a booner type buck you are after, I'd say that's a tough nut to crack. Good luck with your quest.

I am hunting South Central Wisconsin.

I have seen and had 140 buck within 12 yards but couldn't get the shot. It was as Dan puts it, "getting lucky during the rut" I was using a doe call and he came in. I was on the ground with a gillie suit. There are guys that kill big one less than a mile from me but they are hunting private lands.

I have seen them on trail cams at night...

But the beast Goal is to kill him 100 yards from his bed...

I have walked many a mile already this year.

I drop off my truck 3 miles away.
Have my neighbor drive me back to the area I want to start at, they I scout all the way to my truck.
Found plenty of stands, not a lot of fresh sign.

Just keep slogging on...
"We know they are lying,
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Wide 9

Unread postby Wide 9 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:56 pm

Wide 9 wrote:Jurist, observations are great ways to find big bucks early season. However, most big bucks are not going to hit that observation field until after dark when you can no longer see. So sometimes you can burn days that could be utilized for hunting instead of the observation. Another option is just to really start to learn how big bucks live, travel and work. Identify big buck locations. Now if this was easy everyone would do it. However, I have locations that either from history I know big bucks live or the "recipe" including remoteness, food source, cover, etc. that can grow a big buck. Knowing what you learn from here, you just go in and set up on the best guesstimation of where he will be, especially if you see hot sign. Sometimes I see people disturb and bump a mature buck trying to find him, instead of utilizing high probability on where he might be especially during the season.

If you have the time, shining is a great way to find big bucks and select observation sits as well. Just be careful that you don't judge a property on a observation sit or a shining experience totally. Even if you observe nothing, there can be a big one on that property. He maybe didn't show up during the observation sit or he came out after dark and was back in the cover before you went shining. If the shining and observation sits will not affect travel, than you have nothing to lose. However, if they possibly could, than its stand on the back and set up on the first hot sign.

Personally I shine and observe those small woodlots that could possibly have a shooter but are not usually worth actual sits, and trust the big buck "recipe" for large tracts or places that have produced big bucks in the past and just go in with stand on the back. Than of course scout like a fiend in late winter.

Good Luck.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:51 pm

Jurist wrote:
Jackson Marsh wrote:Hard to say. Depends on the caliber of buck you are after and the area you are hunting. If it's a booner type buck you are after, I'd say that's a tough nut to crack. Good luck with your quest.

I am hunting South Central Wisconsin.

I have seen and had 140 buck within 12 yards but couldn't get the shot. It was as Dan puts it, "getting lucky during the rut" I was using a doe call and he came in. I was on the ground with a gillie suit. There are guys that kill big one less than a mile from me but they are hunting private lands.

I have seen them on trail cams at night...

But the beast Goal is to kill him 100 yards from his bed...

I have walked many a mile already this year.

I drop off my truck 3 miles away.
Have my neighbor drive me back to the area I want to start at, they I scout all the way to my truck.
Found plenty of stands, not a lot of fresh sign.

Just keep slogging on...

Have you bought any of Dan's DVD's. Makes all of this way easier. Alot more detailed in the DVD's.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Jurist

Unread postby Jurist » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:03 pm

stash59 wrote:
Have you bought any of Dan's DVD's. Makes all of this way easier. Alot more detailed in the DVD's.

Yeah the store is broken, waiting on it getting fixed to get them and watch...
"We know they are lying,
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:07 pm

Jurist wrote:
stash59 wrote:

Yeah the store is broken, waiting on it getting fixed to get them and watch...

Try Uncle Lou at Stealth Outdoors.

Visit The Treestand Silencing Store
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Jurist

Unread postby Jurist » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:17 pm

stash59 wrote:
Try Uncle Lou at Stealth Outdoors.

Visit The Treestand Silencing Store
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com

Thanks man,
Got a set of buckle silencers too... And I was going to make my own, but for that price, you can't beat it.
"We know they are lying,
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”