The Michigan Public land Challenge shows / posted here:

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

bigbuckhunter88
500 Club

Re: The Michigan Public land Challenge shows / posted here:

Unread postby bigbuckhunter88 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:41 am

Jackson Marsh wrote:
DaveT1963 wrote:One thing I would like to point out. Bot Joe and Teddy need a good pat on the back for NOT rushing and taking poor shots. Both of them had to have the old adrenaline pumping and could have easily rushed a poor shot. Hats off to both these gents for not going there.

Great point :clap:

And not to take anything away from Joe, but props to Jake to speak up and say he would slow down after bumping that first deer. And kudos to Joe for hunting with an open mind and actually listening to the cameramans ideas. That's the best part of all the THP and PLC videos. It's like a team aspect

Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:44 am

blackwidow wrote:Congrats on a fine buck! I don't know if Ted is ever on here, but he needs to be given props as well. It's obvious watching him progress as a hunter the last couple years that he understands what he is doing. He is getting pretty darn good at getting into good bucks.

Agree on Teddy, of the many many great things about THP, he has quickly climbed my list. Just a flat-out fun dude to watch.

I will say both Joe's kill and Ted's encounter last night were 100% teamwork too though, and I LOVE seeing that part . Pretty clear all of the THP stuff is 100% joint effort and who pulls the string back is secondary. My favorite part of last night's episode was Joe and Jake discussing strategy in the stand when the other dudes walked through and as they were seeking out a new spot. You could feel the respect and common knowledge. Maybe on of them gets that done solo, but the team aspect to me had to have helped seal the deal. Same with the way Dan and Joe have approached these last two PLCs. I know that's similar to how Dan and Mario and some of the other guys hunt. Those late season videos where Dam and Joe on the Booner were the same.

take that against some of the threads on here about lone-wolfing it and it kind of seems like having some trusted partners really can be a huge advantage.
Chuck B
500 Club

Unread postby Chuck B » Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:54 am

Great episodes and a great finish. Not surprised a bit. Can’t wait to see what you guys have in store for next year!
If you aren't green and growing, you are ripe and rotting
Polack

Unread postby Polack » Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:56 am

Kraftd wrote:
blackwidow wrote:Congrats on a fine buck! I don't know if Ted is ever on here, but he needs to be given props as well. It's obvious watching him progress as a hunter the last couple years that he understands what he is doing. He is getting pretty darn good at getting into good bucks.

Agree on Teddy, of the many many great things about THP, he has quickly climbed my list. Just a flat-out fun dude to watch.

I will say both Joe's kill and Ted's encounter last night were 100% teamwork too though, and I LOVE seeing that part . Pretty clear all of the THP stuff is 100% joint effort and who pulls the string back is secondary. My favorite part of last night's episode was Joe and Jake discussing strategy in the stand when the other dudes walked through and as they were seeking out a new spot. You could feel the respect and common knowledge. Maybe on of them gets that done solo, but the team aspect to me had to have helped seal the deal. Same with the way Dan and Joe have approached these last two PLCs. I know that's similar to how Dan and Mario and some of the other guys hunt. Those late season videos where Dam and Joe on the Booner were the same.

take that against some of the threads on here about lone-wolfing it and it kind of seems like having some trusted partners really can be a huge advantage.

I agree 100%, I think that's why it made it so fun to watch! The buck wasn't a giant but the size of the hunt was! The way they moved after them guys and then got into the even better sign. The communication in the stand to try and get the buck on camera and then the team effort and celebration after the hunt was awesome to see. I was fired up after that episode!! Im about to hit the woods in 2 hours!!
Ridgerunner7
500 Club

Unread postby Ridgerunner7 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:57 am

Well executed hunt right there! Nicely done Joe. You are an extremely seasoned hunter, especially for your age. One of the best. That a nice Michigan buck for that area, that time frame and on a short term hunt on unfamiliar ground. I was a little surprised at the Deer numbers but I think a lot of that may have to do with how concentrated they were due to high water levels? The somewhat lower hunting pressure was a surprise too. Different than what I see more down south. Overall though, it’s a good representation of Michigan hunting. Lots of does and tiny immature bucks but as you can see with some hard work, dedication and some know how you can get into some nice ones.
Jmitch

Unread postby Jmitch » Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:59 am

Awesome video and awesome series. Hope theres one more but they kind of left it open ended.

Seriously THP and the beast guys need to hunt together more often. Great videos when they get together and it seems like they work so well together. We need more!
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:00 am

I think this was probably the finest half-hour hunt show I’ve ever seen.

It was jam packed:

— The initial scout and plan
— Why they set up in the first stand
— Seeing the challenge of others walking in
— Deciding to relocate while it was getting close to magic hour
— Trying to pick a spot on the fly in a part of the property they never stepped foot on before
— Jake offering his opinion on tree selection, Joe listening and agreeing. You could almost literally see the gears turning in Joe’s head as they had to decide under the time pressure of fading light. I thought that teamwork was THE best I’ve ever seen in a hunting video. Any closer, they would have blown him out. Any longer to decide and the buck would have seen them set up.
— The communication between Joe and Jake while filming when there were TWO deer that could bust them was amazing. And their movements were supremely controlled and they stayed hidden.
— Joe’s breathing was audible. You didn’t have a pulse if you couldn’t feel that tension and adrenaline. THAT is what a great hunt is about.
— Joe being really disciplined on the shot and then making that tough shot perfectly.
— Joe pranking the master pranker on the phone. Epic.

Simply outstanding. :clap: :clap: :clap:
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
MNarrow

Unread postby MNarrow » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:43 am

Congrats Joe!!!!!!!!

And a pleasant surprise at the end with Teddy and the buck encounters!!!!
treeroot
500 Club

Unread postby treeroot » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:04 am

Dan any guesses on next year's state?
MNarrow

Unread postby MNarrow » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:12 am

Missouri!!

Ohio!!!
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:19 am

Polack wrote:
Kraftd wrote:

I agree 100%, I think that's why it made it so fun to watch! The buck wasn't a giant but the size of the hunt was! The way they moved after them guys and then got into the even better sign. The communication in the stand to try and get the buck on camera and then the team effort and celebration after the hunt was awesome to see. I was fired up after that episode!! Im about to hit the woods in 2 hours!!

Good luck man!

PS - I remember you from the Beast workshop. Great to see you putting it in action!
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Jmitch

Unread postby Jmitch » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:54 am

It's going to be tough if they keep doing the same format of never hunting there before. Going to run out of states real quick!

I would guess Ohio or Pennsylvania next year.

Darkhorse of Indiana
mipubbucks24
500 Club

Unread postby mipubbucks24 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:37 am

Congrats Joe, great hunt and awesome series! Tedd getting on some brutes was sweet also!
Oceana

Unread postby Oceana » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:12 am

My first post here, but as a hunter and Michigan resident I really enjoyed the videos and the respect given to the land, game, and strategy. Awesome job to all involved this year!
walleyeralph

Unread postby walleyeralph » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:54 am

Awesome hunt,video,donuts looked good to.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”