Big Woods Guys, How's Your Season?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Cchez
Facebook: codiechesney is my Instagram

Big Woods Guys, How's Your Season?

Unread postby Cchez » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:47 am

Checking in with all you big woods guys to see how your seasons are going? Are you getting on any bucks? Noticing any trends or food sources that are hot right now?

I just found my first fresh rub of the season near a bed in some marsh grass near a creek. It's my first year using beast tactics to hunt, and boy am I learning it aint so easy! I've been scouting my way in to pre picked areas i've scouted virtually, but more often than not, i get in there and the sign just isnt there. Been bouncing back and forth between MN and WI. But i'm starting to finally get in some areas where deer have been bedding and feeding. My best area so far has been where swamp, marsh, and some 2 year old clear cuts are. I'm hoping the bed and rub i found i can climb up in a tree from a distance and spot check to see if the buck is there, as there's actually not a lot of cover around that bed. Just some small trees and stumps. The area is large enough where i can hunt around and see what else is going on if he's not in that specific bed. Theres also a couple thick islands and points in the marsh where i suspect more bedding could be, all within a quarter mile of the cuttings. First snow of the year is forecasted for this weekend so that should make things interesting.

john1984

Re: Big Woods Guys, How's Your Season?

Unread postby john1984 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:49 am

Only been out twice. Havnt seen nothin yet
IndyDawg

Unread postby IndyDawg » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:03 am

I hunt big woods hill country public in Southern Indiana. Got out on Saturday morning to a spot that looked like it was going to be dynamite during my summer scouting and it was completely devoid of sign. No acorns, no fresh droppings, no rubs or scrapes, and no deer seen. The creek in the valley was completely dry as well. I am going to switch to another piece when I get out this weekend and look for better sign. Probably go to a spot that was good early last season and sit until 8 or 9 am and climb down and scout stand on back for the rest of the morning in the new piece if I don't shoot something around first light.

I think I will check on my opening morning spot a little closer to rut time, as it was monitoring a trail between bedding areas through a pinch that should produce some movement in the rut.
Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Unread postby Tim H » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:07 am

Very slow.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:54 am

Been covering a lot of ground but not finding much, maybe covering 10-12 miles a weekend. Didn't cut a good/fresh track until last Sunday night and took a stab at some hill country bedding but nobody was home. Might have bumped him on the way out in the dark from another bed closer to the access so going to give that another look tomorrow. It has always been very hit or miss with a lot of misses in early season, good times just around the corner, excited for the "lull".
NYBackcountry
500 Club

Unread postby NYBackcountry » Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:00 am

Not bad, series of ridges near one of the mountains I hunt is lit up with rubs. They're all concentrated around the drainage's cutting into the ridge. Main ridge runs north/south and the cuts come in East to West. Bucks run the ridge and then bounce around the top of the drainages, I think they rub up there because of all the doe bedding on the little knobs (doe bedding) in the drainages.
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:09 am

Got a bunch of deer located. Bunch of good sign. A couple shooters identified. Lots of turkeys and had a bear at 20 yards. Just need some time to hunt...
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
Hatchet Jack

Unread postby Hatchet Jack » Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:31 am

Very slow, no buck sign at all from 2500 to 3600 elevation
Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Unread postby Tim H » Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:33 am

This is a pic I got on the cell cam this morning.
6036027E-D1B8-4718-9A2B-9487B9BD76E6.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
perchsoup

Unread postby perchsoup » Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:46 am

NorthwoodsWiscoHnter wrote:This is a pic I got on the cell cam this morning.
6036027E-D1B8-4718-9A2B-9487B9BD76E6.jpeg

Cool pic!
460guy

Unread postby 460guy » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:17 am

W
1STRANGEWILDERNESS
500 Club

Unread postby 1STRANGEWILDERNESS » Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:54 pm

Lots of walking. Lots of water. Did 4 miles in Hipboots tonight. Not much fresh sign. When I spot a rub it’s on a tree about the size of a sharpie marker.. the small size ones lol. It’s hard in the swamps by me to actually see tracks in most areas but when I do it’s doe and fawn size. I set a cam up high on a beaver dam crossing that appeared to see a lot of use just not recent. Onto the next area...
don’t be broadcasting when you should be tuning in
Ghost Pointer

Unread postby Ghost Pointer » Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:40 pm

Scarce sign at this point. Acorns are patchy and seem to have some sign of feeding, no big tracks or sign of mature buck yet. Still lots of miles to cover.
Cchez
Facebook: codiechesney is my Instagram

Unread postby Cchez » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:00 am

Glad to hear i'm not the only one having a harder time getting on big woods bucks so far lol. Here i thought i was doing something totally wrong! Even though im struggling, i feel like i'm getting a little closer each day. At the very least i'm gaining intel on areas i've never hunted in the past.
tundra@1

Unread postby tundra@1 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:06 pm

I have been out west, and just got home,,,, heading to Nebraska on Thursday, and staying for awhile,,,my home grounds is the western UP,,, lots and lots of water, streams and rivers all high,,,, I usually do not get excited till the late season,,,,, I just wish they would adjust the seasons...

Both MI and WI in the far north, should be able to bow hunt till the end of January,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, however there are a lot of deer, from what I have seen ..............................

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”